• 2(current)
Win HOW-TO play Blu-ray Disc with External Player and auto adjust refresh rate
Mindweaver, I am retiring my Xboxes and doing my first HTPC build to get 1080p and plan on using your guide to allow blu-ray playback from a drive as well (instead of getting a stand alone blu-ray player). Could you tell me what your setup is? There seems to be a sparsity of people with blu-ray drives in their builds.
Of course Smile

Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H Motherboard (HDMI and optical sound on board)
Intel Core2Duo 8500 (3.16ghz)
4 GB DDR2
Scythe Ninja Mini CPU Cooler (wihout fan mounted)
Samsung 750 GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT HDMI Heatsink (it works ok with the onboard one aswell)
LG GGL-H20L HDDVD/Blu-ray drive
Antec Fusion Black 430 (Case)
Logitech Harmony 525 remote
And for all that use WinXP, for the Patch to Work you need UDF 2.5 Drivers installed, otherwise windows cant natively read the BD....

The Patch form spiff looks in the Directory of the Inserted Disk to determine what is inserted.

Cheers,
Konstantin
XBMC, Intel P4 3.0GHz with HT, 2GB RAM, ATI 3450 HDMI GPU
I've managed to get MPC-HC to play blu-ray movies directly now. Using:

<player name="MPC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>"e:\BDMV\index.bdmv" /fullscreen /play /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>

The only problem now is that when the movie's done or stopped it goes to a blank screen, and I have to alt-tab back to XBMC.

I know that there is a workaround out there http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65109 but it doesn't really help me because I'm using Tibens build.
mindweaver Wrote:External player will work fine with PowerDVD8. I'm not sure that ReClocks refreshscript will. I will update the guide after christmas with externalplayer xml for PowerDVD. I am now successfully using PowerDVD9 in Cinema mode with it!

Everything depends on which refresh rates your TV can handle. What model do you have? I am using a LG50PG7000 via HDMI and I can get 23.976, 24, 29.997, 30, 50, 59.9 and 60hz.

Tell me your model and I will try to investigate it for you Smile

Soooo - what about the XML file for PowerDVD? Wink
I follow the steps to start TMT if I push the 'Play Button' in XBMC. But TMT doesn't start. If I push the button, XBMC tries to load the Blu-Ray disc but there happens notting.

I have installed XBMC v9.11 R26017

This is my playercorefactory.xml:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="TMTMCEPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 3\uMCEDVDPlayer.exe</filename>
    <args>"F:"</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
      <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="Blu-Ray" protocols="bd" player="TMTMCEPlayer"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Please can anyone help me? Thanks.

EDIT: In the error log of XBMC I see the follow thing:

17:10:11 T:3152 M:2893631488 ERROR: Error loading special://profile/playercorefactory.xml, Line 0 (Error reading Element value.)

Maybe this is the reason why it doens't work?

EDIT 2: All problems above are solved Big Grin XBMC will work together with TMT now.

@Mindweaver: But now there is a problem with ReClock. I follow all the steps and in the installation folder I have placed the RunEvent.vbs file. If I start the movie the follow error screen will appear:
Translation:
Code:
Script : C:\Progr... Etc.
Line   : 96
Token  : 5
Error  : The system can't found the given file.
Code   : 80070002
Source : (null)

If I stop the movie this error screen appears:

Can you tell me what I do wrong? I hope you can help me.. Smile
Thanks.
Ok, All problems in my post above are solved.

But the major problem now the next one:

I think my Sony Bravia KDL-32V4500 don't support the given resolutions/ refresh rates. Because if i try to add custom resolutions in the Nvidia software, the programs fails to test it. I use a GeForce 9800GT 1GB.

If I try to play a Blu-Ray movie now (without custom resolution/ refresh rates) after 2 seconds the movie hangs, and in the right corner of my taskbar I see a yellow clock (I can't click it or something).
Question on this.

I have powerdvd playing blu rays fine as an external player in XBMC.

I need it to return to XBMC when i press stop, how do i map it to my MCE remote?
PatrickB Wrote:Ok, All problems in my post above are solved.

But the major problem now the next one:

I think my Sony Bravia KDL-32V4500 don't support the given resolutions/ refresh rates. Because if i try to add custom resolutions in the Nvidia software, the programs fails to test it. I use a GeForce 9800GT 1GB.

If I try to play a Blu-Ray movie now (without custom resolution/ refresh rates) after 2 seconds the movie hangs, and in the right corner of my taskbar I see a yellow clock (I can't click it or something).

The yellow clock is reclock. And it is yellow because it is not able to sync the video to your display. Probably because you are on 60hz and the video is 24p.

I have no idea why it hangs. Check the reclock forum and see if they can help. http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85
iBROX Wrote:Question on this.

I have powerdvd playing blu rays fine as an external player in XBMC.

I need it to return to XBMC when i press stop, how do i map it to my MCE remote?

PowerDVD is a bit tricky. I have set a custom button on my Harmony remote to alt+F4 or Ctrl + X which exits PowerDVD and then brings XBMC back on top.
What's the protocol for HDDVDs?

Smile

XBMC 11: EDEN | XBMC | HDDVD+Blu-Ray ISO playback & Blu-ray player
PC - HTPC CASE: APEX DM-318 Black Steel MB: ASUS M3N78-EM/NVIDA8300 | CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ RAM: 2gb DDR2 1066
HD: 70gb(System) DVDROM: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray/HDDVD OS: Win7 | NAS: 3-terabytes(RAID 5)
mindweaver Wrote:The yellow clock is reclock. And it is yellow because it is not able to sync the video to your display. Probably because you are on 60hz and the video is 24p.

I have no idea why it hangs. Check the reclock forum and see if they can help. http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

I will look at the Reclock forum tonight. But maybe you can give a little bit more instructions what I have to do after configure reclock?

The follow steps I have done now:

- The Runevent.vbs file placed in the installation folder of reclock.
- I replaced this part of the runevent.vbs file for this file Bold items is what I changed:
Code:
If originalPlaybackSpeed="23976" Then
    newRefreshRate = "23"
    WshShell.Run """[b]C:\Program files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dccmd[/b]"" -refresh=" & newRefreshRate, 0, true    
End If

If originalPlaybackSpeed="24000" Then
    newRefreshRate = "24"
    WshShell.Run """[b]C:\Program files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dccmd[/b]"" -refresh=" & newRefreshRate, 0, true    
End If

If originalPlaybackSpeed="25000" Then
    newRefreshRate = "50"
End If

WScript.Quit 1

End If

' We quit the player, restore our favorite refresh rate and/or resolution
If eventName = "QUIT" Then

newRefreshRate = "60"

WScript.Quit 1

End If

WScript.Quit 1

What I don’t understand is what you mean with: 'Make sure you have set up these resolutions/refresh rates in your GPU settings’

Wich resolutions must be added in the settings?
I try the resolutions in the Runevent.vbs file and the 23.976 Hz refresh rate, but the Nvidia Control Panel fails to test it (on Sony Bravia KDL-32V4500 TV).

Is it necessarily required to add resolutions?

Last step is play the movie, and that story is clearly, it hangs after 2 seconds.

The only thing I changed are the bold parts below 'code'. So the Runevent.vbs file looks like the same if your example in the first post.

For a complete overview this is how my Runevent.vbs looks like:

Code:
' -------------------------------------
' Event notification script for ReClock
' -------------------------------------
'
' This script will be called when ReClock change the media adaptation of a played file
' either automatically or after some manual change made in the properties panel
' It is called only for media file which contain a video stream, and when frame rate of this file is known
'
' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' The 7 parameters received by this script are explained below:
'
' (1) contains the event name that just occurred:
'    - "GREEN"  : tray icon just got green (all is fine). Parameter
'    - "YELLOW" : tray icon just got yellow. We should make what is necessary
'                 to change the monitor refresh rate
'    - "STOP"   : playback just stopped
'    - "QUIT"   : ReClock is about to quit
'
' Parameters (2), (3), (8) and (9) apply only with "GREEN" and "YELLOW" events. Otherwise they contain "-"
'
' (2) contains the type of media file currently played :
'    - "CINEMA" : frame rate of source file is around 24 fps
'    - "PAL"    : frame rate of source file is around 25 fps
'    - "NTSC"   : frame rate of source file is around 30 fps
'    - "CUSTOM" : frame rate of source file does not fall in previous categories
'
' (3) contains the current sound playback mode (apply only with GREEN/YELLOW event):
'    - "PCM"    : PCM mode
'    - "SPDIF"  : AC3 passthrough SPDIF
'
' (4) contains the current monitor selected for playback (1=primary, 2=secondary, etc...)
'
' (5) contains the total monitor count detected in the system
'
' (6) contains the current resolution of your monitor (WIDTHxHEIGHT)
'
' (7) contains the current refresh rate of your monitor (in Hz)
'
' (8) contains the original playback rate of the file (in fps multiplied by 1000)
'
' (9) contains the current playback rate of the file (in fps multiplied by 1000)
'
' (10) contains the filename of the current media file
'
' ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Notifications examples:
'   - GREEN CINEMA PCM 1 1 1024x768 72 23976 24000 c:\test.avi : all is good
'   - GREEN NTSC PCM 1 1 1024x768 60 29970 30000  c:\test.avi : all is good
'   - YELLOW PAL SPDIF 1 1 1024x768 72 25000 25000 c:\test.avi : please switch to a multiple of 25 hz since PAL wants 25 fps
'   - YELLOW CINEMA SPDIF 1 1 1024x768 75 23976 23976 c:\test.avi : please switch to 71.928 hz
'
' Decode the parameters
Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments
If objArgs.Count < 10 Then
    MsgBox "Bad argument count !",  MB_OK, "ReClock Event Notification"

' We have done nothing. Return 1 to indicate ReClock that
    ' the configuration has not changed
    WScript.Quit 1
End If

eventName = objArgs(0)
mediaType = objArgs(1)
soundMode = objArgs(2)
currentMonitor = objArgs(3)
totalMonitorCount = objArgs(4)
currentResolution = objArgs(5)
currentRefreshRate = objArgs(6)
originalPlaybackSpeed = objArgs(7)
currentPlaybackSpeed = objArgs(8)
currentMediaFile = objArgs(9)

' If you need to debug, replace false with true in the following line
if false Then MsgBox _
    eventName & " " & _
    mediaType & " " & _
    soundMode & " " & _
    currentMonitor & " " & _
    totalMonitorCount & " " & _
    currentResolution & " " & _
    currentRefreshRate & " " & _
    originalPlaybackSpeed & " " & _
    currentPlaybackSpeed, _
    MB_OK, "ReClock Event Notification"

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' Obviously we have something to do only if the icon is yellow
If eventName = "YELLOW" Then

If originalPlaybackSpeed="23976" Then
    newRefreshRate = "23"
    WshShell.Run """C:\Program files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dccmd"" -refresh=" & newRefreshRate, 0, true    
End If

If originalPlaybackSpeed="24000" Then
    newRefreshRate = "24"
    WshShell.Run """C:\Program files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dccmd"" -refresh=" & newRefreshRate, 0, true    
End If

If originalPlaybackSpeed="25000" Then
    newRefreshRate = "50"
End If

WScript.Quit 1

End If

' We quit the player, restore our favorite refresh rate and/or resolution
If eventName = "QUIT" Then

newRefreshRate = "60"

WScript.Quit 1

End If

WScript.Quit 1
Forgive me for asking i am a total noob to this. I have followed you tutorial as far as i can see to the letter. but i still cant get xbmc to launch my blu ray player.

running windows 7
xbmc 9.11 r26017
arcsoft total media 3 (.160 verion)
reclock 1855
display changer

i copied and pasted your .xml file into .xml notepad, and saved it to the specified location.

no joy

i know nothing about .xml files so maybee i have messed up at this pointOo

can you helpHuhHuhHuhHuh?
PatrickB Wrote:What I don’t understand is what you mean with: 'Make sure you have set up these resolutions/refresh rates in your GPU settings’

That means that you have to be able to manually choose the refresh rates in display settings for them to be available for the script. And on some monitors/TVs/display adapters you have to create custom resolutions in the ATI/Nvidia control panel.
jonnyboom Wrote:Forgive me for asking i am a total noob to this. I have followed you tutorial as far as i can see to the letter. but i still cant get xbmc to launch my blu ray player.

running windows 7
xbmc 9.11 r26017
arcsoft total media 3 (.160 verion)
reclock 1855
display changer

i copied and pasted your .xml file into .xml notepad, and saved it to the specified location.

no joy

i know nothing about .xml files so maybee i have messed up at this pointOo

can you helpHuhHuhHuhHuh?

I think you have to paste a XBMC debug log. Or else people won't be able to help you finding out whats wrong.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO play Blu-ray Disc with External Player and auto adjust refresh rate1