Installing XBMC and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) desktop on Acer Aspire Revo 3610
Thanks for this thread! I'm currently using XBMCLive but would like to try a full Ubuntu install with XBMC.

On Step 4, I was not prompted to update the NVIDIA drivers. I ended up selecting that myself. Does that matter?

For Step 5, why are all these steps necessary? With XBMCLive, everything just worked. Is it because XBMCLive includes those changes/configurations by default?

I will attempt to do a full install again in a few days.
karifsmith Wrote:Thanks for this thread! I'm currently using XBMCLive but would like to try a full Ubuntu install with XBMC.

On Step 4, I was not prompted to update the NVIDIA drivers. I ended up selecting that myself. Does that matter?

Absolutely not. The main thing is to have it installed ! Smile

karifsmith Wrote:For Step 5, why are all these steps necessary? With XBMCLive, everything just worked. Is it because XBMCLive includes those changes/configurations by default?

I will attempt to do a full install again in a few days.

I've tried 9.11RC1 live CD and ran into the mute SPDIF output problem.
The method I propose is a way to get around it.

Regarding the video setup (xorg.conf), I'm still testing the results about it and what's best between using or not the automatic refresh rate setup in XBMC.
I have tried to follow this walthrough to the letter (for Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix) but I am still unable to output sound via SPDIF. Analog and HDMI works but I need SPDIF in order to use my old 5.1 receiver.

The strange thing is that the "SPDIF light" is turned off which I interpret as no signal being sent. It is on when I boot (steady red light) but it switches off after I log on. :-(

I am getting desperate. :-(

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing XBMC and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) desktop on Acer Aspire Revo 36100