Crude Implentation of Video Library Categories
@pechinko

Sorry you couldn't get the exe to work. I compiled it with the latest SVN as of yesterday so it should be compatible with the folder structure of the latest stable build. You have to let my exe build your video database since the library changes will not work using another build's database.

In any case, I spent some time with the smart playlists today, and as you mention above it really does take care of most of the issues I've seen people raise with the current library system. I think I am just going to champion the use of smart playlists going forward when I see people raise issue with the filtering system. I'm glad I took on this idea since I learned loads about the XBMC code structure, but I do not believe these changes are that necessary to the system.
Sorry to bump an old post, but I wanted to comment that while smart playlists will accomplish most of what custom categories could, they aren't exactly the cleanest or easiest way to do so on the user's side.

Addiionally, I don't see skin developers adding links to smart playlists in the home screen (which, yes, can be done via home.xml editing, but that's also not terribly end-user-friendly).

Finally, (and this may just be me being dumb), but I think there are skins that don't have a smart playlist UI, like Confluence. (might just be me being dumb, because I couldn't find it in there).

All in all, smart playlists are a good band aid until something more complete comes along, but i think a lot of people (myself included) would love to be able to add custom categories of video/audio content, even without scraping to start with, and add them to their home screen.

(before "diffs welcome": If my programming skill was broader than basic-to-moderate PHP, I'd definitely try it myself. I'm not saying OMFG ASSHOLES GET ON IT. I'm just pointing out that I think there's still a need for such a feature, in case someone wanting to work on it reads this post.)
Did anything ever come of this?

I have:

Movies
Movies Offline
Extreme Sports DVDs
Stand Up Comedy
Music Video DVDs
Music Live Events
Sports DVDs
Motor DVDs
Adult Movies (needs to have a pin code to access)

Ideally they could have different scrapers but with the advent of tmdb its not so important any more.
Is work still being done on this? I'd be very interested to see this capability.

I have a plethora of children movies and TV episodes that I would love to add to the library for my kids ... but I also *don't* want to the lists to populate/pollute the main Movies / TV Shows categories. Also, to be able to have these additional categories available off the main menu in confluence would wrap it all up very nicely.
kneufeld Wrote:Is work still being done on this? I'd be very interested to see this capability.

I have a plethora of children movies and TV episodes that I would love to add to the library for my kids ... but I also *don't* want to the lists to populate/pollute the main Movies / TV Shows categories. Also, to be able to have these additional categories available off the main menu in confluence would wrap it all up very nicely.

Something like this?

I've only implemented this for Smart Playlists that have a type of "TV shows", but I'll probably work on the other types sometime. Would anyone else find this functionality useful?

Also, it's possible to add Smart Playlists to your main menu already:

amr*---YES! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to try to play around, but I'm still very much a noob at this. Would you mind posting how you did it?

THANKS.
abernardi Wrote:amr*---YES! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to try to play around, but I'm still very much a noob at this. Would you mind posting how you did it?

THANKS.

I've only implemented it for Smart Playlists of the type "TV Shows". However, I'll try to finish coding and put together a patch in the next few days.
amr* Wrote:I've only implemented it for Smart Playlists of the type "TV Shows". However, I'll try to finish coding and put together a patch in the next few days.

Great!
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Can't wait for this!
Hey amr*, did you ever get around to these? THANKS~
abernardi Wrote:Hey amr*, did you ever get around to these? THANKS~

Sorry, some work/family things took up all my time for a couple of weeks. Promise I'll finish this soon.
I am too looking for a way to add documentaries (mainly) to my library. I have an extensive archive of BBC, Discovery and NGC documentaries, and creating nfo files manually for all is just not an option. Actually, browsing them by file is not a problem for me at all, I have organised them into folders and have folder.jpg's here and there. However the main problem I have is that I have no record of what episodes I've seen and which I haven't, which is the main feature of the library I'd like to have.

Is there any way to implement a "watched" entry in the DB that just refers to the physical file without that file actually being in the library?
that's exactly how it works. marking files as watched in file view has been in there for what, a year maybe?
amr* Wrote:Sorry, some work/family things took up all my time for a couple of weeks. Promise I'll finish this soon.

Have you found a walkaround to this?

I'm very interested on this feature.

Thanks
CrashX Wrote:Doesn't smart playlist do this ?

If I understand correctly. No. I have wanted something where I can specify a movie and put it in a named playlist. I can then remove or add movies from said playlist. Music works like this but for some reason movies do not. The only thing for movies is the Smart Playlist. But its limited.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crude Implentation of Video Library Categories0