Radeon HDMI stereo confusion
Ok I have been googling for hours now and cannot find a good answer to my question, i'm hoping someone can help.

I was running jaunty with my radeon 4550 and using and the only way I could get audio working over HDMI was to use a custom device in XBMC settings plughw:0,3 and I was able to output 5.1 over HDMI.

However now I have upgraded to karmic and I no longer have to use a custom device, I get Radeon HD 4000 series Digital Stereo HDMI.

But why is it only stereo? It used to be capable of 5.1? If I try to enable 5.1 from XBMC then I get a "failed to initialise audio settings" error in XBMC.

I would go back to the old driver but it used to lock up all the time preventing me from accessing the display settings screen which is the main reason I upgraded in the first place.

Ok so next logical thought is why not try plughw:x,x in karmic? I get no sound whatsoever, which is another mystery

I seem to have traded one problem for another, can anyone help?

Thanks
I forgot to add this 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD 4550] [1002:9540]
judging by the lack of response and information available on this I think my first mistake was buying a Radeon rather then Nvidia card. sigh I should take more time over my purchases.

I wonder how much I can get for a 4550 on ebay...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon HDMI stereo confusion0