[AppleTV] Problem with Digital Out?
AC3 still remains an issue on my end as well as quite a few people above, especially when trying to watch a DVD or file encoded with it. The only workaround I've been able to find so far is to use the Down-mix to Stereo, but it is definitely not a long term fix if you want to use your AC3 encoded file in it's true surround sound.

You mentioned your unable to play AAC encoded videos as well. Would you or anyone else with any issue related mind also posting a log file? Maybe we can give the devs more to go on.
I'm having the same issues as the rest of you. So far this is my only issue. I would be in ATV XBMC heaven if I could just get this working. Once I search on how to get a proper debug log, I 'll contribute to this thread as well. Thanks.
I am not sure log files have much use here. For me the Ac3 stream from the atv is working on certain receivers so it is functioning and I would not expect any errors in the log files, it's just not compatible with some receivers. We kind if need to analyze the actual stream output from the atv. I do not know enough about the format of ac3 to analyze this myself. I was thinking of capturing the output on my logic analyzer and comparing it to a signal that I know works but I am not sure I would get very far.
Well I would think that those two logs showing the same error would be enough to understand what is happening?
There is an issue starting up the audio device which means XBMC is not detecting it properly
I have the problem only on AAC encoded audio while AC3 in other cases seems like users have the opposite.
Something must have changed between 9.04 and 9.11 in the way XBMC handles the audio device and is causing problems
randywaterhouse Wrote:same here...pretty funny to watch a movie with the dialog missing, but everything else works...

receiver: yamaha rx-v750

randy.

Same receiver, same problem.

My speakers made a loud pop when I played a file.
slammers Wrote:I am not sure log files have much use here. For me the Ac3 stream from the atv is working on certain receivers so it is functioning and I would not expect any errors in the log files, it's just not compatible with some receivers. We kind if need to analyze the actual stream output from the atv. I do not know enough about the format of ac3 to analyze this myself. I was thinking of capturing the output on my logic analyzer and comparing it to a signal that I know works but I am not sure I would get very far.

This isn't a receiver issue, for me at least. All of my files play correctly using the native ATV interface (quicktime) and Sapphire. I will try to revert to the older xbmc and see if it make a difference.

EDIT: Revert to older XBMC didn't solve problem either.
Found tracked bug

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8226
The problem is not only with AC3 but also with AAC
interceptor121 Wrote:The problem is not only with AC3 but also with AAC

I haven't had a problem yet with my AAC tracks. maybe it you can tell me how yours were created, I can help (i.e. Handbrake - Core Audio vs Faac, etc.)
I also have a problem getting certain AAC audio to play. Everything else I have tried plays fine except the audio produced by my camcorder-Veho Kuzo 002. I am using XMBC 9.11 on Ubuntu, Xbox and Windows 7, all have the same problem. Other media players like VLC seem to play it fine. I have pasted the (hopefully) relevant section from xbmc.log here. Strangely I have some other camcorder mp4 files that are very similar which the xbmc log identifies as 'Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: aac, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16', and these play fine.
OK, I have also created a .mkv to see if it worked...no luck, but xbmc did see the primary track as AC3 5.1.

Media Info:

Code:
*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2010-01-10 07:14:28 -0600
Information for File: Ugly Truth.mkv

General / Container Stream # 1
    Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
    Total Audio Streams for this File -> 2
    Video Codecs Used -> AVC
    Audio Codecs Used -> AC3 / AAC LC
    File Format -> Matroska
    Play Time -> 1h 35mn
    Total File Size -> 1.04 GiB
    Total Stream BitRate -> 1 551 Kbps
    Encoded with -> HandBrake svn3035
Video Stream # 1
    Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
    Codec (FourCC) -> V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Codec Profile -> [email protected]
    Frame Width -> 720 pixels
    Frame Height -> 352 pixels
    Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
    Total Frames -> 138000
    Display Aspect Ratio -> 2.409
    Scan Type -> Progressive
    Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
    Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
    Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
    Video Stream Length -> 1h 35mn 50s 0ms
    Bit Depth -> 24 bits
    Video Encoder -> x264 - core 80
    Video Encoder (Settings) -> cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / wpredp=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=19.5 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Audio Stream # 1
    Codec -> AC-3
    Codec (FourCC) -> A_AC3
    Audio Stream Length -> 1h 35mn 55s 742ms
    Audio Stream BitRate -> 448 Kbps
    Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
    Number of Audio Channels -> 6
    Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
    Audio Stream Size -> 307 MiB (29%)
    Audio Stream Language -> English
Audio Stream # 2
    Codec -> AAC
    Codec (FourCC) -> A_AAC
    Number of Audio Channels -> 2
    Audio Channel's Positions -> L R
    Bit Depth -> 16 bits

XBMC Log:

http://pastebin.com/f188f562b

Let me know if I should post anything else.
D-tyme Wrote:Audio Stream # 2
Codec -> AAC
Codec (FourCC) -> A_AAC
Number of Audio Channels -> 2
Audio Channel's Positions -> L R
Bit Depth -> 16 bits
[/code]

XBMC Log:

http://pastebin.com/f188f562b

Let me know if I should post anything else.

Your AAC is two channels that is way it plays. If you had an AAC with 6 channels with real surround it would not play either, in fact you are getting an error even on the AAC
13:01:28 T:46434816 M: 8433664 ERROR: CoreAudioRenderer::InitializeEncoded: Unable to identify suitable output format

So the issue is with anything more than two channels in your case, my AC3 surround files actually play fine
interceptor121 Wrote:Your AAC is two channels that is way it plays. If you had an AAC with 6 channels with real surround it would not play either, in fact you are getting an error even on the AAC
13:01:28 T:46434816 M: 8433664 ERROR: CoreAudioRenderer::InitializeEncoded: Unable to identify suitable output format

So the issue is with anything more than two channels in your case, my AC3 surround files actually play fine

I saw this also. Wonder if I create a new mkv with just the AC3 Passthru, would it make a difference. I don't understand why it was even trying to play the AAC 2.0 when it was never selected. My AC3 Passthru is the primary and I never changed it.

Since you have AC3 Passthru working, what are the specs for your file?
This is the post on the problem I see

The files that work are all like this
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 2h 32mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 245 MiB (11%)
Language : English

XBMC seems to have a problem with AAC-HE encoded with SPR
Maybe is the SPR part of it that screws it
I actually found a workaround.
Once you find the audio encoding that works for you (in my case AC3 as AAC don't play) I extract the raw tracks, convert the AAC to AC3 re mux and then it works fine
tedious

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Problem with Digital Out?0