• 1(current)
MCE remote green button to start XBMC - Camelot final
Its awesome to see built in support for MCE remotes with the new camelot release Smile

However when buttons like the green media center button or live tv are pressed, it starts media center instead of XBMC. Does anyone know a way to change this? Is eventghost still the best way around that?

Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find a answer.
The green button sends alt-Windows then Enter, and Windows traps this keystroke and uses it to start Media Center. I don't know of any way to intercept the keystroke. I'm sure there will be some devious registry hack to do it, but no-one has found it yet.

Anyhow, if you have the official Microsoft remote then you can reconfigure the green button to send, for example, ctrl-shift-X and then set ctrl-shift-X as the keyboard shortcut for the XBMC Start Menu icon. I use this trick myself and it works fine. Press the green button and XBMC starts :-) The cheap clone remotes usually can't be reconfigured.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The green button sends alt-Windows then Enter, and Windows traps this keystroke and uses it to start Media Center. I don't know of any way to intercept the keystroke. I'm sure there will be some devious registry hack to do it, but no-one has found it yet.

Anyhow, if you have the official Microsoft remote then you can reconfigure the green button to send, for example, ctrl-shift-X and then set ctrl-shift-X as the keyboard shortcut for the XBMC Start Menu icon. I use this trick myself and it works fine. Press the green button and XBMC starts :-) The cheap clone remotes usually can't be reconfigured.

JR

I have the official MCE remote... How did you reconfigure it?
anyo Wrote:I have the official MCE remote... How did you reconfigure it?

I have detailed instructions and all the config files you need on my web site, but it's just been pulled because of excessive downloads. I'll have to find somewhere else to put the stuff. Give me a day or two to find somewhere.

Later:

My web site is back. Try http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/mceremote.zip and follow the instructions **CAREFULLY**. The remote-xbmc.reg file will configure a Microsoft remote so it send the standard XBMC keypresses.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I have detailed instructions and all the config files you need on my web site, but it's just been pulled because of excessive downloads. I'll have to find somewhere else to put the stuff. Give me a day or two to find somewhere.

Later:

My web site is back. Try http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/mceremote.zip and follow the instructions **CAREFULLY**. The remote-xbmc.reg file will configure a Microsoft remote so it send the standard XBMC keypresses.

JR

Thanks! but i'm gettin a 404 error on that link Sad
use http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/xbmc.htm
and then the 1st link
GranCanaria Wrote:use http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/xbmc.htm
and then the 1st link

thanks! i should have seen that!:o
Anyo,
Another option is to disable Windows Media Center completely if you never use it.
Easiest way to do that is to simply rename c:\windows\ehome to something different, like ehome.blah - you could also disable all the services associated with it if you still wanted to use it, but thats up to you.
I too would like to get this working.

I've totally remove Windows media centre.

pressing the green button does nothing now, i've tried the zip file above, but nothing happens, how do i get it to start XBMC when i press the green button ?
Ignore my post above, worked it out.

Set XBMC to start with CTRL-SHIFT-X in the start menu and installed the XBMC remote reg

Works a treat!

Thanks
iBROX Wrote:I too would like to get this working.

I've totally remove Windows media centre.

pressing the green button does nothing now, i've tried the zip file above, but nothing happens, how do i get it to start XBMC when i press the green button ?

Is this with the Microsoft remote? The .reg files in my zip will only work with the official MS remote and full compatibles (most MCE remotes are *not* MS compatible).

First use the ShowKey utility to confirm that the Windows button is sending ctrl-shift-X. If this is OK then open the start menu and right click the XBM icon and click properties. Click in the "Shortcut key" field then press the Windows button on your remote. You should see "CTRL + SHIFT + X" appear. Click OK. Now whenever you press the Windows key, or press ctrl-shift-X on the keyboard, XBMC will start.

JR
What is the XBMC remote reg?
floepie Wrote:What is the XBMC remote reg?

iBROX is using the official Microsoft remote controller, and this can be configured to send keystrokes when you press the buttons. A sample configuration file, remote-xbmc.reg, is included in mceremote.zip, which you can download from xbmcmce.sourceforge.net. This sample config file configures the MS remote to send the standard XBMC keystrokes like P for Play, X for Stop etc.

JR
Is there a way to do something similar with the following setup?

Official Microsoft remote IR reciever
Harmony 880 programmed as a Microsoft MCE Keyboard
No IR software running (no eventghost, IR Server Suite, nada)

I havent been able to find a way to program the harmony to have a button send ctrl+shift+x - It can macro ctrl-then-shift-then-x but that obviously does no good.
Thanks for this as I said i've got it working.

Now i need the following.

I have Powerdvd loading as an external player when i play a bluray disk.

At the moment when i press stop on the remote it stops the playback, but how do i get it to close powerdvd and return to XBMC via the remote?

Thanks

Edit: One other thing, is it possible that when you press the INFO button on the remote, it actually does what 'o' does in XBMC and shows all the file codec and runtime information ??
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MCE remote green button to start XBMC - Camelot final1