[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo and update to the newest version
Thumbs Up 
Hey guys this is my first post. I recently upgraded from my xbox xbmc to an acer revo. I have read many forum posts on installing xbmc live but nothing seemed to work for me. This is how I installed xbmc 9.11 on the revo.

Update: Dec 28. XBMC 9.11 live installer should be fixed now. I haven't tried it though. If you want to update xbmc to 9.11 this guide still applies.

Install XBMC:

1. Download XBMC 9.04
2. Burn the iso to a cd and then reboot your computer.
3. Boot from the live disk and select install to usb or hdd
4. Install xbmc to a 2.0gb usb stick or sd card.
5. After this is finished reboot again
6. Put your usb stick or sd in the revo and turn it on.
7. Push f12 and then select your usb stick or sd.
8. Install to your revo's hd.
9. once installed reboot and see if everything works.

Update XBMC:

1. If everything is working in xbmc go to the terminal by pushing crtl-alt- f2
2. login
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get upgrade
5. sudo apt-get remove xbmc-common
6. sudo apt-get install xbmc "This should install xbmc 9.11"
7. sudo apt-get -f install "to fix any conflicts"
8. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade "This should update your skins"
9. Either exit XBMC to the terminal or kill it.
10. Go to nvidia's website and download the newest drivers for ION
11. Move it to your revo's home directory
12. Then type "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run"
13. Follow the install menu.
14. After it finishes run apt-get update again just to make sure everything is updated.
15. Reboot.
16. Enjoy XBMC 9.11

Make sure in xbmc the video render is set to VDPAU.
Thanks so much for posting this guide.
I followed it and it worked except the nvidia driver upgrade. It said I need to close x and follow install instruction from nvidia web site. But all my settings were kept as before. When I checked sys info it says XBMC 9.11 R26018. Is this the final release?
jkang29 Wrote:Thanks so much for posting this guide.
I followed it and it worked except the nvidia driver upgrade. It said I need to close x and follow install instruction from nvidia web site. But all my settings were kept as before. When I checked sys info it says XBMC 9.11 R26018. Is this the final release?

Your welcome! Do "sudo killall gdm" and then run the driver installer. This should work. Yes XBMC 9.11 is the newest release.
You should make note that all this is only needed if you are trying to install via a usb stick and having trouble. Installing from an external cd/dvd rom drive using the newest live version works fine.
gabbott Wrote:You should make note that all this is only needed if you are trying to install via a usb stick and having trouble. Installing from an external cd/dvd rom drive using the newest live version works fine.
Yes or if you have the previous release already on your system and you just want to upgrade not install a newer version.
When I typed "sudo killall gdm" it says "gdm: no process killed"
and I get the same error message as before.
Any idea?
have you try exiting xbmc then performing the update? that way x is not running at all
jkang29 Wrote:When I typed "sudo killall gdm" it says "gdm: no process killed"
and I get the same error message as before.
Any idea?

Try booting XBMC in safe mode and see if that works or try killing xbmc in the terminal. Let me know if it works.
hi--
i do the step
Code:
and i get errors... this is from upgrading from a fresh installed 9.04 (i'm doing it this way because i couldn't install 9.11 directly, was giving me a cd-rom error, trying to install from a usb flash drive).
the error says:
Code:
unpacking xbmc-bin (from .../xbmc-bin_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-bin_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/openg1_spectrum.vis', which is also in package xbmc-common
Preparing to replace xbmc-web-pm3 9.04.1-jaunty1 (using .../xbmc-web-pm3_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbmc-web-pm3 ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cach/apt/archives/xbmc-bin_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

any idea what the problem could be and how to fix it? with all these problems i'm having, i'm beginning to wonder why i got rid of my working fine 9.04 setup....
thanks for any assistance
wookietv Wrote:hi--
i do the step
Code:
and i get errors... this is from upgrading from a fresh installed 9.04 (i'm doing it this way because i couldn't install 9.11 directly, was giving me a cd-rom error, trying to install from a usb flash drive).
the error says:
Code:
unpacking xbmc-bin (from .../xbmc-bin_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-bin_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/xbmc/visualisations/openg1_spectrum.vis', which is also in package xbmc-common
Preparing to replace xbmc-web-pm3 9.04.1-jaunty1 (using .../xbmc-web-pm3_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbmc-web-pm3 ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cach/apt/archives/xbmc-bin_1%3a9.11-jaunty1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

any idea what the problem could be and how to fix it? with all these problems i'm having, i'm beginning to wonder why i got rid of my working fine 9.04 setup....
thanks for any assistance

Are you upgrading from a fresh 9.04 install. Try sudo apt-get -f install. See if that will fix anything.
rawker089 Wrote:Are you upgrading from a fresh 9.04 install. Try sudo apt-get -f install. See if that will fix anything.

yeah, i'm installing 9.04 and then immediately starting on the update process.
i tried to put that command in and it's giving me feedback as if i didnt enter a correct command. kind of like it brought up a help for apt-get. at the end it bizarrely says "This APT has Super Cow Powers"
hey thanks for the step by step guide. I did everything but couldn't get the nvidia drivers to install, same issue as previous guy. I can play 720p files fine though so i guess i am ok with that. I noticed two issues though:

1) The Confluence skin didn't get installed
2) One .mp4 video file the audio was weird, I could hear music but none of the voices? When I downsample multichannel audio to stereo it works. Other DTS and 5.1 .mkv's work fine. Weird.
usurp Wrote:hey thanks for the step by step guide. I did everything but couldn't get the nvidia drivers to install, same issue as previous guy. I can play 720p files fine though so i guess i am ok with that. I noticed two issues though:

1) The Confluence skin didn't get installed
2) One .mp4 video file the audio was weird, I could hear music but none of the voices? When I downsample multichannel audio to stereo it works. Other DTS and 5.1 .mkv's work fine. Weird.

For the video drivers. You need to exit xbmc. either exit it from the application or kill it in the terminal then run the driver install.

1. Try "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" this should update your skins. If that doesnt work "sudo apt-get xbmc-skin-confluence"

2. I think you have to down sample the audio.

I will update the guide. Thanks.
I tried the dist-upgrade, it downloaded like a 24mb file or something and when it was done i checked under skins nothing there. so i did the sudo apt-get xbmc-skin-confluence and got Invalid operation xbmc-skin-confluence
usurp Wrote:I tried the dist-upgrade, it downloaded like a 24mb file or something and when it was done i checked under skins nothing there. so i did the sudo apt-get xbmc-skin-confluence and got Invalid operation xbmc-skin-confluence

My bad! I forgot "install" try this. "sudo apt-get install xbmc-skin-confluence"

"sudo apt-get install xbmc-skin-pm3-hd" for pm3

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo and update to the newest version0