XBMC Partition install help/suggestions
I've got an Aspire Revo 3600 which I have upgraded to a 500gb hard disk. I'm looking to partition the disk say 10gb for XBMC/OS and the remainder as a separate partition for my media so that if I need to format/reinstall the media will remain untouched and just the OS partition needs to be modified.
My question is, could this be achieved with the XBMC Live installation CD? If not, what would be the simplest way of achieving this set up with an installation as close to XBMC Live as possible?

Thanks for the help,

BUG
9.11 does have the possibility of creating a partition to install live on it. This should be possible from the setup.
I'd suggest also creating a partition for /home.

My setup is (2x750GB):
Code:
10GB: / (system)
1GB: swap
10GB: /home
729GB: /media/primary (TV Shows)
750GB: /media/secondary (Movies)

Just recently I tried upgrading 8.10 to 9.04 and completely hosed my install somehow. Within 2 hours, I was back up and running from a fresh install of 9.10 on the 10GB / partition. I copied all of my old data from /home over to my new account with all of XBMC's library data/etc, so there wasn't a wait to reimport all of my media and skins into XBMC.
My setup on a 320GB HDD (ASRock ION-330HT)

Code:
10GB:    / (system)
305GB:     /home
5GB:     swap

If you are not to familiar with setting up partitions you can always use the guided option from the installation menu. But there is a definite advantage in seperating the system data (/) with you own data (/home) as it makes reinstallation without loosing your media easier.
Excellent, thanks for all the insight guys, makes things a lot clearer. Am I right to assume that I just use the manual partitioning option in the xbmc live setup to create my partitions as you all have?

Thanks
bug1baby Wrote:Excellent, thanks for all the insight guys, makes things a lot clearer. Am I right to assume that I just use the manual partitioning option in the xbmc live setup to create my partitions as you all have?

Thanks
That is correct.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Partition install help/suggestions0