So now that there's DirectX support...
...does that mean that we can use the IE APIs?

For, oh, say, Netflix and Hulu objects? Eh? Eh? Maybe even Pandora?

I'm just wondering of the "DirectX Support" means that we can embed an IE object....
No it means we RENDER the GUI and (NOT decode!, yet) video using directX instead of OpenGL now. Nothing more. Yes it opens us up for all of the other stuff that requires DX. But things take time and one of XBMC's main goals is maintaining feature equality across all platforms.
Thanks for the quick response, I was afraid you were going to say that :]

I've been using XBMC since I first softmodded my old XBox like 6 years ago, and love it. I honestly believe it's one of the greatest applications ever written, and think it's awesome that a Community has been able to build the killer set-top box that all of the huge commercial software companies couldn't. I say this mainly because my question is going to seem disrespectful, especially in a forum context, and I don't mean it to.

I used Plex for a bit, when I had a "spare" Mac for a couple of weeks, and got addicted to having Netflix and Hulu available.

Personally, I don't see how the underlying technologies for Netflix and Hulu are ever going to be available in a similar way across all of your platforms, certainly not the old XBox.

I'm sure this is pretty much a religious war around here, but do you ever see these features being available in XBMC, or is the feature-equality goal going to trump them?
Feature equality is invariably more of a goal and less of a requirement. The reason for this is pretty simple: We accept code from users. This means if someone comes along and says, "Hey, I bet I can make HD decoding happen, but only in Linux," there's no way we're going to say "Thanks but we'll only accept the code if you can ALSO do it in OSX and Windows! Jerk!"

What feature equality really means is already established devs try to put approximately equal amounts of time fixing and building things on each platform.

That, of course, excludes the xbox, where new features, such as the ones you pointed out, simply don't work. It's sad, but the xbox was a good old gal who is simply beyond her prime.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
So now that there's DirectX support...0