Wireless Internet on Eee PC 2G Surf
Exclamation 
Hello Everybody,

I successfully installed XBMC 9.11 on my little Asus Eee PC 2G Surf (Eee 700) last night using the XBMC live CD. The installation went off very well and I am very impressed with the 9.11 release. To be honest, this is the first XBMC release that actually installed as a stand alone installation on my Eee PC netbook.

The only problem that I am now facing is that the wireless would not work. I can switch the wireless on and off using the hotkey combination, but there seems to be absolutely no option to configure wireless on my present fresh install.

The speed and responsiveness of XBMC 9.11 is impressive on such an underpowered netbook. If only wireless internet could work, it would be even better since I could then receive weather forecasts.

Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Have a good one.

Cheers,
Harry
Could anybody at least tell me if wireless should work on a standalone installation?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Harry
Having similar problems here,

Using the new ASROCK 330 HT with built in Wireless N

Seems to be no way of getting it working on Live, I posted for help as well as have No Linux skills and was pointed towards a full install of linux, but spent several full days of hair pulling and failure (just had so many problems getting correct video drivers working on ubuntu), and even when installed none of it ever seemed as stable as the live install.

The general consus seemed to be that Wifi was ignored as not stable enough for HD streaming, although it should be more than stable on a "N" Network,

I haqve just gone back ot my old plug in "G" Belkin Access point/Game adaptor for now and hope that some time in the future that it will be enabled in live or an easier and more stable full install will crop up

Lets hope the more installs on these new low costs wifi machines it will put on more pressure to get Wireless working on live.
Thanks Vickyl,

The problem in my case is that I just don`t seem to see any option for configuring wireless. In the past when I installed eeebuntu and then installed xbmc on top of it, the wireless was working. This is not surprising since eeebuntu was under the hood and had the wireless configured.

Too bad that the wireless would not work.

In your case, are you using an external wifi card to get internet access? I do not need to stream HD content. All I need the wireless is to get weather updates.

Lets hope someone gives us an idea.

Cheers,
Harry
It is being worked on but downprioritized due to the reasons vickyl gave, one really should have wired connection for HD content, and because other stuff with more importance have arisen. Rest assured, I'll get back to it sooner or later Smile

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks Tobias,

I will try to hook up an ethernet cable so that I get weather forecast.

Just out of curiosity, would things change if I replace the existing kernel by the Adam kernel that is specific for Eee PC?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Harry
Penguin and Vickyl, I don't use Live and I am using an ASROCK 330HT but try these steps:

Hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to jump to the login prompt and login xbmc/xbmc

Enter the following command:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces (if prompted for a password enter xbmc again)

Now add these lines at the bottom replacing your essid and wep key (assumes you are using WEP):

Code:
# Wireless
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid your_wireless_ssid
wireless-key your_wireless_key

Hit CTRL-X and save the file.

Now enter this command:

Bring up the wireless connection:
Code:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

...and/or restart all network connections:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Check your wireless association:

Code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0

Code:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Wireless INET"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.452 GHz  Access Point: 00:0F:CC:BB:A9:0C
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:FB30-F571-A1FB-7571-B370-69F8-47
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=41/70  Signal level=-69 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

You should see a MAC address listed after Access Point as above.

Now hit CTRL-ALT-F7 to return to XBMC and at the SYSTEM menu option, press right to pull up the submenu and select SYSTEM INFO. In the network section you should see the ip address assigned by your routers DHCP server.

Some folks report that their wireless connection drops when they try to transfer large files over SFTP. Here are some things to try to fix that:

Do the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools
sudo apt-get install wicd
sudo reboot

That should fix your problem 9/10 times.

If your still having problems then try disabling ipv6:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Add this:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="ipv6.disable=1"

Then run:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Then reboot.

Still no joy, then also try disabling the ethernet interface.

Comment out the eth0 section in /etc/network/interfaces file. Reboot.

Hope that helps.
Vickyl, if you have given up on Live, give ubuntu minimal with 9.11 (karmic) a try. You need a wired connection as it requires downloading packages during install.

http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMCbunt...nal_Ubuntu

If you follow step-by-step you should no problems getting everything setup nicely with NVIDIA drivers and HDMI audio.

One thing to note, skip this step (broken):

Code:
sudo apt-get install wget
wget http://xbmc.org/wp-content/uploads/alsaup.sh
chmod +x alsaup.sh
sudo ./alsaup.sh -di

...and replace it with this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
Great info and walk through. So how about using WPA2? I see a few help topics on it, but that confused me some.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDo...otingGuide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo
cdoxp800 Wrote:Great info and walk through. So how about using WPA2? I see a few help topics on it, but that confused me some.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDo...otingGuide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

For WPA2 you need the wpasupplicant package as well as the above:

Code:
sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant

Now you need to convert your WPA key to a passphrase and dump it to a file which we will use in a minute:

Code:
sudo wpa_passphrase mywirelessnetwork > wpa.conf

...where mywirelessnetwork is your networks ESSID.

Then it prompts you for the WPA key. Enter that and hit ENTER. Your wpa.conf file should look something similar to this:

Code:
network={
        ssid="mywirelessnetwork"
        scan_ssid=1
        #psk="cf57f571a1fb7571b37069f847"
        psk=ae3112ecb4ae77562d6b7d1bc74e5815869f2603d88ce5d2c30509b89581c177
}

Note: you only need "scan_ssid=1" if you network is hidden which mine is.

Now edit /etc/network/interfaces and change your wireless interface to the following. Notice the path to the wpa.conf file your just created.

Code:
# Wireless
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

Restart your network:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

...and you should be good to go.
Thanks stinkupuss. I understand a bit better now and see whats taking place. I am new to the whole linux os, but it seems easy to learn. I have some basic experience from Lucent's version of unix.

Thanks for the help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wireless Internet on Eee PC 2G Surf0