[LIVE] Setting up wireless internet on XBMC
As Box alluded to, are using nano to edit this file?

Check the persmissions:

Code:
xbmc@ASROCK:~$ ls -ltr /etc/network/interfaces
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 480 2010-01-01 11:30 /etc/network/interfaces
xbmc@ASROCK:~$

If they don't look like above, then:
Code:
sudo chmod 644 /etc/network/interfaces

...then restart network as before.

If you are still getting that error, post the contents of your /etc/network/interfaces file.

stink
i think you have to take a step back. if your network card doesn't have an ip address, it's probably going to be a wireless config issue, not a network issue.

check the interfaces , run sudo lshw -C network

this will tell you what interface and hardware your wireless hardware is using. i.e. wifi0 or wlan0 or eth1

then run sudo ifconfig.

you should see a few listings, ideally you want to see if the wireless adapter you had before, has an IP address.

(edit) you can run nm-tool , or iwlist scan to pick up the wireless radio channels, which will also show you what the wireless is connected to.

if the 'radio' part can scan, and it picks up your wifi router, that's good.

if it doesn't have an ip address after joining, power-cycle/reset the router, and try again. nm-tool should show you the new IP address if it connects properly.

if that doesn't work to get you an ip address , check if there's any WEP/WPA2 passwords that need to be set and try connecting again.
@stink: Yes, I used nano to edit them as admin.

@Toliman: You may have missed it from before but I abandoned the whole wireless network track, I've got it hard-wired, but I still don't have internet. Also, it keeps saying lshw is not a command.
Just about anytime you get an error that says: <command> is not a command ... that usually means that it isn't installed. XBMC Live isn't a full blown Ubuntu distro so it won't have all the admin tools installed. You need to install lshw and the other packages it may depend on.

Your default ethernet adapter should be named eth0, but you won't know for sure until run this command as the others have suggested.

lshw -C Network

1. Is your network (router) setup for DHCP or Static?
2. Is your network (router) Secured (WEP / WPA) or unsecured?

This how to helped me a lot when I configured my wireless. I know you're concerned with getting your wired connection working, but that page has a lot of tips and commands that could help you out.
My router is setup for DHCP.
It is unsecured.

I'm not sure how to install the packages without internet, any ideas?
Download the package from a pc connected to the internet, and transfer it to XBMC using a USB drive. After it's connected, your USB drive will be located in the /media directory. I'm not sure if you can install the package from the USB so copy the file to /var/cache/apt/archives. That's where all the packages from the updates are located.

Install lshw:
Code:
sudo apt-get install lshw

If any packages are missing, go back and download them. After that, check out that How To I mentioned earlier.

EDIT:
Not sure what your /etc/network/interfaces looks like, but something might not be commented out correctly. It should look like this:

Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
Thanks!

How do I copy files over? Sorry, I'm new to Linux command line.
Show contents of /media
You'll see your cd or dvd drives and the name of your usb
Code:
ls -al /media
Copy file from usb to XBMC
Code:
sudo cp /media/[i]usb[/i]/[i]file[/i] /var/cache/apt/archives

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Setting up wireless internet on XBMC0