[LINUX] XBMC 9.11 freezes on selecting file
Question 
Hi everybody,

First my compliments to the devs for creating, in my opinion, the best looking mediacenter software out there.

However, as the tread title might reveal, i've got a problem.
I'm running Gentoo, with as good as all the latest packages.
XBMC starts perfectly, shows thumbnails for every video file, builds libraries, everything.
But when i select a file to play, like an MP3-file or a random video file, XBMC freezes. Pictures do load, albeit very slowly. Menu's are slow too. XBMC freezes on trying to change the skin too, but when i kill the process and restart it again the skin actually has changed.

I'm running an AMD X2 3800+ cpu with 8GB RAM, and a GF 7600GT card.

Log files show nothing indicating errors, and the console doesn't give any usefull info either, even after compiling XBMC with the debug-use flag on.
File permissions are all OK.

Does anyone have a clue about what's wrong here, and which steps should i take if noone knows?

Many, many thanks in advance!

Erik den Toom
A bit of a kick. Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?
Please post (using pastebin.com or silmilar) the generated crashlog. A sample file to reproduce would come handy as well.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Ah thanks, i hadn't eaven found the crashlog. Not that i can get anything useful out of it...

Here it is: http://pastebin.com/f72211f35

What exactly do you mean by 'sample file'? XBMC freezes on everything i've tried so far...
I know there are some Pulseaudio-issues, can that have anything to do with it?
Please upgrade to current stable nvidia drivers and try again.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Done it. And encountered something very weird.
Since i was being stupid and forcing an NVidia-module-unload when running X, the system crashed. After a reboot i instantly tried xbmc, and ran a Scrubs-episode. And that actually worked!
But then i tried again, and it crashed again... Maybe it has something to do with other applications running next to it.

I'll be trying to recreate the conditions. Thanks for the heads up, i'm appreciating the help!
Ok, update. After the video-issue, it looks like Pulseaudio was the problem.
I rebuilt Pulseaudio, Alsa-plugins and Phonon, and everything worked like a charm!

Thanks Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC 9.11 freezes on selecting file0