wifi option after Crystal HD
After installing a Crystal HD card I would like to use an usb adapter for wifi. Which 802.11n adapter would be easy to use with a ATV? I found this one:

http://www.airlink101.com/products/awll6075.php

but I wonder how to install drivers on ATV since they come with a install GUI.
ASUS Chromebox (celeron), Openelec 5.0.8, Aeon Shednox
Panasonic GT60, Cambridge Audio TV2
Synology 411j
mauzzz Wrote:After installing a Crystal HD card I would like to use an usb adapter for wifi. Which 802.11n adapter would be easy to use with a ATV? I found this one:

http://www.airlink101.com/products/awll6075.php

but I wonder how to install drivers on ATV since they come with a install GUI.

I was looking into the same. Anyone has tried and can confirm whether and what drivers are needed to use above with the ATV? Thanks!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
It will be a lot easier to use a wifi adapter that connects via Ethernet than USB.
Neil Wrote:It will be a lot easier to use a wifi adapter that connects via Ethernet than USB.

I agree. I believe it's called either a wireless bridge, or a wireless gaming adapter. I'm using the Linksys WGA600N for this purpose. Works great.
Well ok wireless bridge is an option, but is there any usb wifi n which is out of the box compatible with apple tv.
illiac4 Wrote:Well ok wireless bridge is an option, but is there any usb wifi n which is out of the box compatible with apple tv.

Thanks. Have the same question. Wireless bridges are rather bulky and a USB dongle would be perfect. Any thoughts?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Neil Wrote:It will be a lot easier to use a wifi adapter that connects via Ethernet than USB.

Sure. I could always opt for an Airport Express. But that would be a more expensive solution.
ASUS Chromebox (celeron), Openelec 5.0.8, Aeon Shednox
Panasonic GT60, Cambridge Audio TV2
Synology 411j
illiac4 Wrote:Well ok wireless bridge is an option, but is there any usb wifi n which is out of the box compatible with apple tv.

I was under the impression that the USB port on the AppleTV is crippled in some way?
I am thinking about the Belkin F5D7330 it powers through USB so no other socket needs and though it has only 802.11g is less than one third of the price of an N router
mauzzz Wrote:Sure. I could always opt for an Airport Express. But that would be a more expensive solution.

Or, you could go for an Xbox gaming adapter. They are cheaper.
I have looked into gaming adapter
Of the G ones only the linksys has WPA encryption, the N ones are sometimes 2.4G only
The best options seem to be the Buffalo nfinity dual band converter works 2.4/5 N/G and has multiple ports to connect other ethernet devices
It is quite expensive but I don't see the point of spending £40 for a G device when you can have a proper N one at £60, it is worth the money especially if you transfer files over the LAN
How about the Netgear Powerline adapters? - US Ebay has the x101 refurbs for $90 a pair. Is 10/100 Mb/s fast enough?
I just bought a TrendNet tew-644ub which has full Linux driver support from RALink who makes the chipset. Even with that, the performance was awful. Speed was slow unless copying large files (it'd start slow, then sort of build-up) and the connection would randomly drop out for no reason whatsoever. It would play 720p fine, 1080p would "buffer" constantly. I would NOT recommend buying a USB wi-fi card for a permanent install.

I exchanged it for the Linksys WET610N 802.11N gaming/video adapter. It's fast and rock solid. Sure it was $80, but the thing actually works.

I'm also using a WRT610N linksys router with dd-wrt installed as a bridge to my Revo downstairs and it functions flawlessly as well.

Basically... I'd stay away from the cheap usb route and get something stable and permanent.
I don't think you can use the USB port on the ATV for a wireless adapter in any case
Getting an ethernet wireless bridge would seem the only way to go if you want your ATV still to stream decently on your LAN
interceptor121 Wrote:I don't think you can use the USB port on the ATV for a wireless adapter in any case
Getting an ethernet wireless bridge would seem the only way to go if you want your ATV still to stream decently on your LAN

Well I was referring to running Linux on the ATV. The USB wi-fi card worked... just not very well for streaming purposes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
wifi option after Crystal HD0