Arabic subtitle problem in 9.11
Hi guys,

Now i've upgraded from 9.04 to 9.11 (fresh installation) am experiencing a problem with arabic subtitles in movies playing.

it was ok when running v9.04 Sad

Any help?

More info:
  • i tried changing the char.set to Arabic (ISO), subtitles doesn't show-up. and when i use Arabic (Windows) as char.set it shows small squares as a subtitle.

• I tried changing the char.set in both "System>Appearance>international" and "System>Video>Subtitles"

• Subtitle font used is the default "arial.ttf"

• using xbmc live 9.11 (Linux 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu) on Acer Revo 1600
same here
http://www.xbmc.org/trac/ticket/8348

This is really frustrating and seems i'll downgrade to 9.04 Sad
here is how i fixed it if anyone interested: FTP as root into your XBMC and upload arial font from your windows machine (C:/Windows/Fonts/arial.ttf) to ( /usr/share/xbmc/media/Fonts )..

set the charset of Subtitle to Arabic (Windows) and choose the font that you uploaded (arial.ttf)..

That should fix it Smile
Quote:/usr/share/xbmc/media/Fonts
where is that?
Thanks for the solution, I've got same problem, and replacing the font solved the issue.
Hi,
Iam trying to get xbmc (ubuntu 9-11 version) to display mp3 tags in utf-8 fonts for Indian languages like tamil, hindi. Iam using the English version of xbmc but just want to see tags in my media (music, video) files displayed appropriately in these languages.

Iam able to see the tags displayed properly in vlc, so atleast it looks like the tags are ok. xbmc however shows some boxed characters.

Tried the workaround suggested above i.e. copying over arial.ttf from windows fonts directory but still only see the garbage characters.

Here is the sample text in hindi:

ये इश्क है

sample text in tamil:

போக்கிரி

I noticed that tamil, hindi are not explicitly listed in the languages supported when I looked in the system settings. Do I need to wait until these are explicitly added, hope not?

Thanks.
Lightbulb 
1. Go To C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
2. Look For Arial.ttf (Arial True Type) & Copy It
3. Paste It In C:\Program Files\XBMC\media\Fonts (In Another Way Replace The Existing Arial.ttf Font Because It Dosent Contain Arabic Letters Nod )
4. Open XBMC & Go To System --> Video --> Subtitle & Change The Font Used For Text Subtitle (wiki) To (Arial.ttf)
5. Now Your Problem Is Fixed , Have Fun ;-)
I simply replaced the font to ARIALUNI.TTF which is a 20mb file and has many code pages in it, you can get it from any Windows installation.
How can i fix this through Apple tv?
No.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you us44ever!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arabic subtitle problem in 9.110