AC3 audio files
Why can't I include pure ac3 audio files as a music source? Obviously xbmc does not recognize xxx.ac3 files, although the codec list states, that ac3 sound in a video file can be played as a stereo audio output.
Can you change the player to DVDplayer for music?
Hello Hitcher,
my ac3 audio files are not stored on an DVD, but on a HDD instead. I've recorded ac3 5.1 Dolby Digital radio broadcast with dvbviewer. Those files can be played perfectly (as stereo output) with VLC or with Winamp, and of course with dvbviewer on any computer. When I use the digital output of my small mediacenter computer, dvbviewer sends the digital stream to my home theater system and I can can playback true surround sound.
Only when I try to playback the files on my notebook with xbmc (set to analog audio output), those ac3 files cannot be included as source files. When I try to do so, I get an error message: "Too many files in playlist cannot be played".

Is this a bug or a missing feature?

heinza
I haven't got any AC3 music files to try out but I did use DVDPlayer to play back an ordinary MP3.
When you highlight the file bring up the context menu and select 'Play using', from there you can choose DVDPlayer which should play AC3 just fine.
Thank you!
DVDPlayer is playing my ac3 files correctly. How can I set DVDPlayer as my default player?

heinza
Advancedsettings.xml

In here you can set a defaultplayer.
Cool, glad you got it sorted.
OK, I've added the following xml file to the user data folder:

<advancedsettings>
<defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
</advancedsettings>

The file is called "advancedsettings.xml"

Nothing is changing so far, the default audio player continues to be paplayer.

Huh

heinza
You've missed 'audio' part.

[HTML]<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>[/HTML]
Thank you, Hitcher.
I've copied your lines into my advancedsettings.xml file - but nothing changed. Default player still stays on 'paplayer'.

Huh

heinza
Where are you saving the xml?
I may be having the same problems setting DVDPlayer as my default audio player. In my case using PAPlayer for any audio format gives me a constant, annoying "stuck record" effect (I'm sure there's a technical term for that).

I've created the advancedsettings.xml file in my C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\ directory...and the contents of the file are just copied and pasted from post #9. However, PAPlayer remains the default.
thank you to everyone..i've been trying to solve this issue
To only use DVDplayer for AC3 and DTS audio and PAPlayer for the rest, simply add this line to your playercorefactory.xml file found in XBMC/system:

<!-- DTS and AC3 Audio -->
<rule filetypes="(dts|wav|ac3)" player="DVDPlayer" />

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3 audio files0