create new xbmc command for remote button
I've read a LOT of remote related threads and wiki topics lately, but I'm still a bit confused about what I need to do. Seems as if there have been some changes to which files are used, and where they are located.

My remote has a dedicated "Aspect Ratio" button that I'd like to map through to xbmc.

irw shows:

Code:
000000037ff07bd8 00 Aspect mceusb

So I added the following line to /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml:

Code:
<aspect>Aspect</aspect>

in the <remote device="mceusb"> section.

Then I added this line to /usr/share/xbmc/system/remote.xml:
Code:
<aspect>AspectRatio</aspect>

in the <FullscreenVideo> section.

There were already two other buttons there for "AspectRatio". But regardless of whether I comment these out, I still get no love with the actual Aspect Ratio button on my remote. (The other two pre-defined aspect ratio buttons do work when not commented out).

Have I missed a step or is an entirely different process required to create a new xbmc command for a remote button?

Thanks,

Ryan
There's no "aspect" button in XBMC. You can't just make them up. Look at the tags in remote.xml for what's available, then pick something that isn't used in the window you're working with. Looks like "hash" or "star" would be a good candidates. BTW, don't edit the keymap in the install dir, they'll be overwritten when you update. Make your changes under ~/.xbmc/ .
Thanks for the response.

Do you mean that I should copy the modified Lircmap.xml and remote.xml files to /home/user/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps? If files exist in that directory, they take precedence over those in the default location?

I'm not sure I follow you regarding the button mapping. It looks like Lircmap is global, rather than window specific. Won't mapping the Aspect Ratio button on my remote to <hash> or <star> in Lircmap do so for all windows in xbmc? While I can set <hash>AspectRatio</hash> in the <fullscreenvideo> section, wouldn't this setup result in my remote's Aspect Ratio button being treated as hash in all other windows as well?

Since <hash> is used very sparingly anyways, it's probably not an issue. But it would be useful if there were some unassigned commands that could be used for mapping any extra or unique buttons on non-standard remotes.

Is that possible somehow?

Appreciate the assistance.

Ryan
I re-read the guide here and it's become more clear. It's not possible to create custom commands, except by using the <obc#> button tags which would require a remapping of ALL the buttons manually. I figured it wasn't worth it for the 3 extra keys I needed so I went through the predefined commands and found ones that weren't linked up to buttons on my remote, as was suggested.

Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
create new xbmc command for remote button0