[LIVE] How smooth is smooth?
Isn't some of the problem to do with NTSC vs PAL? I've had an asrock since October last year and watch a variety of material, mostly SD. My tv is a samsung 40inch LCD and it supports 24hz, 50hz and 60hz. My gf never really notices any difference when I run everything just at 60hz. And I believe the type of material I watch (mostly american tv rips) explains this. However with testing it is obvious that some of the material should play at 50hz (for example a rip of an australian tv show) but still plays mostly okay at 60hz.

As for some of the movies, I have no idea. They want to play at 24, but go out of sync terribly, but play perfectly at 60hz.

Also I can ask my gf if the audio is out of sync, and she'll report no, but then when I look at the screen it is horribly out of sync. So also I think that some people just don't see it or worry about it.

Just to note, that I still haven't necessarily fixed my modelines yet, so potentially that is the problem.

Or just ignore me. Smile
I am not running live btw but standalone 9.11 (i believe).
I need TP for my bunghole
I suggest you set the scaling mode to native and turn off the motion interpolation on your tv (motion interpolation is the technical name, they probably call it something else in the tv menu).
That will get you the film look you're looking for when using a refreshrate of 24 hertz.
Just wanted to give my 2cents on this.
I recently did a clean install of the latest xbmc-liveusb.

To get the planet earth "killa sample" to play smooth i had
to disable both "sync playback to display" and "adjust refresh rate to match video" With these turned off i get about 15-20 framedrops i total on the killa sample. It feels damn smooth dunno what "optimal" framedrop should be on this bbc earth "killa sample" though, (the bird scene)

With either options turned on i get like 70 framedrops and green jibber
for about 4-5 seconds in the start. and also artifacts on the screen.

I run my display at 1280x720@60Hz

my xorg conf is:
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
    Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option          "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
I had some time ago the same problem.
xbmc was unable to switch correctly to 24Hz (dynamic twinview disabled). Z menu told that i was on 24Hz, xrandr through ssh told 50Hz.

With custom modeline for 24,50,60Hz the switch work correctly.
bobo1on1 Wrote:I suggest you set the scaling mode to native and turn off the motion interpolation on your tv (motion interpolation is the technical name, they probably call it something else in the tv menu).
That will get you the film look you're looking for when using a refreshrate of 24 hertz.

Just tried this and you're bang on - I though I had turned it off ('Intelligent Frame Creation' set to off), but I looked through my manual and there is an option that comes up only when true 24p is supplied to the TV - without the native scaling, this was not happening (so I think even though it said it was in 24hz it was actually in 50hz and doing 3:2 pulldown or whatever, hence the timing errors). Anyway, I enabled native scaling and I then found this extra option coming up ('24p smooth film') and I turned that off and now it is film like but doesn't seem to have odd timing errors - exactly what I was after!!

Thanks for sticking with this, we got there in the end. Still need to test a bit more but so far all my samples seem spot on Big Grin

As a side effect, the picture seems slightly better and more detailed as well.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
shassino Wrote:I had some time ago the same problem.
xbmc was unable to switch correctly to 24Hz (dynamic twinview disabled). Z menu told that i was on 24Hz, xrandr through ssh told 50Hz.

With custom modeline for 24,50,60Hz the switch work correctly.

This was definitely the problem I was having - it reported 24hz on screen (z,o) but was in fact at 50hz - I'm sure because I only get the 24p smooth motion setting if 24p is being sent to the tv. Without native scaling I didn't get this, but with it I do (and can thus turn it off).

Working brilliantly now!

Didn't need modelines in my case.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] How smooth is smooth?0