Loading the correct version of XBMC
I have two versions of XBMC on my machine. One from the PPA and one I compiled myself. The PPA version resides in /usr/bin and the compiled version in /usr/local/bin. My path has /usr/local/bin before the /usr/bin.

Grub2 has the following command line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,noredir loglevel=0"
I expected this to run the xbmc version from local, but it doesn't it calls the PPA version.

I'm sure that there are lots of you out there running XBMC like this and what to switch between a stable and "sandbox" version so I must be doing something wrong or have misunderstood something. Any suggestions on a more sensible way of doing thing or what I might have missed ?

Cheers
------------------------
XBOX 1.1 Softmod
Asrock ION 330
------------------------
So I have finally figured this out...and here is what I learnt in case anyone cares:

You need the XBMC=autostart in the GRUB command line because there is a script "xbmc-live.conf" which sits in /etc/init is called at boot time and it parses these parameters and if the autostart is missing it stops.

This script calls /usr/bin/runXBMC, and I want it to run /usr/local/bin/runXBMC. Or at least I would if that script existed. So I changed xbmc-live.conf to call the local script and I have told the local script to run the local version of XBMC.

I'm still convinced that there is an easier way....
------------------------
XBOX 1.1 Softmod
Asrock ION 330
------------------------

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Loading the correct version of XBMC0