My Wi-Fi adaptor doesn't support Linux...am I out of luck?
It's this one:
http://www.rosewill.com/products/1120/productDetail.htm

All my media is on my Windows network, and my only possible connection is Wi-Fi...is there a way for me to use the Linux version, or should I try the Windows version? Thanks!
It does use the ralink chipset and people have had luck with it working with linux. From newegg comments section:

1. Get the 2870 linux driver from the ralink website (not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, so I won't)
2. Edit the the following two lines in the os/linux directory located in the ralink tar file:
Change this: HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=n
To this: HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y
(note the y at the end)

Change this: HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n
To this: HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y
(note the y at the end)

3. From a terminal navigate your command prompt to the extracted directory from the ralink tar file and issue the following command:
sudo make && make install

Link to comment(s):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRev...6833166027

However if you are uncomfortable compiling drivers or are new to linux then your best bet is to buy a native linux compatible wireless adapter such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833130111
Great tip, Heretic9, but rt2870sta and rt2800usb are already part of the installation. I had to blacklist rt2800usb to get my Belkin N1 Wireless USB to work.

Blacklist rt2800usb
Code:
sudo echo blacklist rt2800usb > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Ralink chipsets have a default interface of ra0 so you need to add it to /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
sudo pico /etc/network/interfaces

Depending on how your network(router) is setup...check out this guide
/etc/network/interfaces should look like this
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The wireless network interface
auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp
I don't own any ralink devices myself so I haven't tested it out and the comment was as of 3/2009 and the guy was running ubuntu so karmic may support it now without compiling a custom driver.

But yeah if your linux distro detects it out of the box then great, if not you may have to compile the driver. Either way the RNX-N2X seems to work fine with linux.
tensaidavis Wrote:Great tip, Heretic9, but rt2870sta and rt2800usb are already part of the installation. I had to blacklist rt2800usb to get my Belkin N1 Wireless USB to work.

Blacklist rt2800usb
Code:

Ralink chipsets have a default interface of ra0 so you need to add it to /etc/network/interfaces
Code:

Code:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp

Hey guys...thanks so much for the help. Sorry for the total noob question, but how do you open the console in Camelot?
ctrl+alt+F2 to open a terminal
ctrl+alt+F1 to get back to xbmc
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
tensaidavis Wrote:Blacklist rt2800usb
Code:
I used "xbmc" for login & password.
When I input the line above, I got:
Code:
-bash: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf: permission denied

What next? Huh
anybody?
Do this instead:
Code:
sudo pico /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add this at the bottom of the list:
Code:
# replaced by rt2870sta
blacklist rt2800usb
tensaidavis Wrote:Great tip, Heretic9, but rt2870sta and rt2800usb are already part of the installation. I had to blacklist rt2800usb to get my Belkin N1 Wireless USB to work.

Blacklist rt2800usb
Code:

Code:

Code:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp

I also have a Wireless N Belkin adapter F5D8053 V3 i have not been successful at getting this to work with XBMC live. I tried the above command and it says permission denied?? at a loss as to what to try next... any suggestions?

Frank
you are sure that you are typing sudo?
For a person with an acer revo (added the gig of ram) running a full 9.11 live installation, does anyone have any suggestions on the easiest adapter to set up (I can walk circles around windows, Linux walks them around me ..for now) and how it could be done if I want to have wireless N access via USB? (I already have ROOT access, "sudo passwd root" and a seperate username using my actual first name for it)
Any one have a suggestion to the above post. I too have a Revo running 9.11 Live.

I have a this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833162030
and it definitely does not work. I have spent many nights trying to get it up and running. So I am at the point where I would like to buy a new one that just works out of the box.
I've had much better luck using a "gaming adapter", specifically the WET610N. linksys is selling refurbs for $55 on their website. I've tried numerous usb sticks and they just don't compare for reliability or performance. Especially streaming HD.

I can stream full 1080p blu-ray rips over 802.11n (2.4ghz) with that adapter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Wi-Fi adaptor doesn't support Linux...am I out of luck?0