Req Audio books version of TVDB (Scraper)
Question 
I Am thinking of setting up my own scrapper for audiobooks. This way we could have a new menu system for audiobooks. With it's own fan art and thumbnails and so on. This would also lead the way for a book marking system like videos have. Something that is needed for good audiobook support.

Do you think it is worth doing?

Home to hear from you soon.
Being a frequent listener of audiobooks, I would not be opposed to this.
natethomas Wrote:Being a frequent listener of audiobooks, I would not be opposed to this.

ditto
Have a question? First try the XBMC online-manual and FAQ. Also: How to submit a debug log
I would love it, but I think the feature freeze and removal of fluff would stop any real development on this ... at least for now.
I am totally for this. I always listen to audiobooks.
Do you mean a scraper or a site which can be scraped?

I like the idea of incorporating my audiobooks into xbmc.. would be good to be able to have a books library which can include audiobooks AND/OR ebooks for each book so that you can listen to the audiobook as you follow the text on screen
I Mean a site that can be scraped
The first priority to be able to enjoy audiobooks in XBMC in opinion would be to be able to resume in audio. Which is not possible atm.
After that would come all the database coding required to support Audiobook scraping (such has setting content in audio, which is not part of the Music Library either)
But sure you can set up your site and hope that XBMC will evolve in that direction.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi

I would like to see an audio book mode. Such that xbmc keeps track of which file in a folder has been read and at what place you are up to in listening in the current file. You could automatically keep a book mark of the current place.

Alex
http://forum.xbmc.org/search.php?searchid=5039625

and

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...=audiobook

I'm going to merge this with the audio book thread. With that said, as always, I think it's not a terrible idea (though I mostly listen to audiobooks in the car or while walking). But it would require a dev to actually want the functionality.
Hello,

I was wondering if there was any possibility of incorporating audio books into XBMC? I did some searching and found two very short threads that were made in 2008 that brought up audio books, but nothing was ever followed up on them. I really don't know how they would be implemented as I am not a programmer, but for someone to take up the task here a few ideas.
They would be in an audio format (mp3, flac, ...etc) and probably split up into different parts or chapters. They could have a bookcover as the folder.jpg and the possibility of a writeup of the author for information. They would probably have to behave in a similar fashion as music does now, with the ability to resume like we can with videos now.
I think that this might be a nice addition for those of us who would like to relax or excercise in our movie room and perhaps listen to an audio book.
Is there any possibility for something of this type?
Thanks,
Mark
I have an audiobook collection attached to my XBMC deployment. Having a separate "Audiobook" section would be nice, but I am fairly satisfied with the way it works right now when used as part of the "Music" section. If anything, a content-type specification would be appropriate rather than an entire section.
Quote:They would be in an audio format (mp3, flac, ...etc) and probably split up into different parts or chapters.
Unfortunately, DRM-free audiobooks (such as those sold by EMusic or SimplyAudiobooks) are not always indexed by chapters. However, most of them are separated into parts using the "Track" tag which functions perfectly in XBMC Music.
Quote:They could have a bookcover as the folder.jpg
This works properly in the Music section.
Quote:and the possibility of a writeup of the author for information
One could probably add this using the tag system. However, to really do this correctly, a scraper would have to be developed and a source of Audiobook information amenable to scraping would have to be found.
Quote:with the ability to resume like we can with videos now
Now this is definitely interesting. Frankly, this is a feature we could using in the Music section as a whole. Resume should happen at the album level, thereby remembering what song or audiobook track was last played as well as the time index at which it was stopped.
I would be interested in having this as well
While I do like audio books I somewhat fail to see the need for it in a HTPC environment. Then again the Media Center experience is slowly working its way into the portable market as well.

Even though I don't have much of an interest in doing the coding for it here are my thoughts on the matter regarding implementation Smile

Initially I would say that a great start for this would be to introduce the concept of content to the music section, thus making the current music library more of a general purpose audio library. This works fine in the video and seems appropriate here. I would argue that this would make XBMC more consistent between video and music and give the user a simpler way to select different scrapers based on content / folder. So even if an audio book content would be considered terrible the consistency alone would be very usable.

When xbmc has a concept of content in the music section it would be possible to disregard audio book content in party mode and we could save current location of the song when audio is said content. Allowing resume on audio book content would then also be applicable and finally presenting the books differently based on the content.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Just putting my name on the list of those who would likely use this if a developer gets interested in working on it.

As suggested above, I'm going to try just adding this into my current music section for now and see how that works out.

Thanks,
daemox

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio books version of TVDB (Scraper)0