Why is there no Netflix and Hulu support in XBMC as of yet?
furrydad Wrote:I read all of this, and I'm confused. There's all this idea that Netflix can't run on Linux because of silverlight. But Tivo is Linux based and it runs netflix just fine. What's missing here?

Tivo licensed the ability to download and play Netflix content from Netflix, they use a proprietary method that is not based on silverlight. That method is not publicly available to anyone but is licensed from Netflix. Understand now ?
green453 Wrote:For Hulu, I would recommend using Hulu Desktop and "integrating" it into XBMC with a script. This is obviously far from ideal and not nearly as good as native support, but it is near the best that can be done right now. This is obviously not a solution if you are dedicated to F/LOSS, but since you are coming from Windows, I doubt this is your bent.

This sounds like a great idea. Two quck questions:

1) Will I return to XBMC after exiting Hulu Desktop? If so, it is pretty close to being integrated and definitely stable "for good" as it actually builds on Hulu's own software.

2) What is F/LOSS that you are refering to above?

3) Will this work on my Ubunutu computer?

Cheers!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:2) What is F/LOSS that you are refering to above?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=F%2FLOSS Smile
davilla Wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=F%2FLOSS Smile

Liked this one. Thanks. What about my first question:

1) Will I return to XBMC after exiting Hulu Desktop? If so, it is pretty close to being integrated and definitely stable "for good" as it actually builds on Hulu's own software.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I'm having a problem installing hulu desktop. I'm a linux newb and am trying to install a minimal version of ubuntu (w/o window manager) with xbmc and huludesktop.

What I've tried:
I have installed it from a local deb file using dpkg.

I can't find the ".huludesktop" file. I've gone to my home directory and have searched for it (using both "find . -name .hulu\*" as well as "ls -a" for any possible folder) in the root folder, as well as in /home/ and /home/<username>, but to no avail.

I've checked to make sure that flash, libgtk2.0-0, libglib2.0-0 are installed, and they are with no available updates.

I've tried reinstalling the huludesktop.deb multiple times and have rebooted to see if that fixes anything, but it hasn't seemed to help.

I have tried running "huludesktop" but I get a message "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"

Is there anything that I'm overlooking here? Any ideas that could help me narrow this problem down?
One good reason *not* to use this approach - you're still dependent on Adobe Flash and all of its myriad bugs and security flaws. The XBMC Hulu plugin is still better in terms of functionality, performance, and security.
I thought the xbmc hulu plugin rarely works.
that was my understanding as well
Anyone else with some suggestion or helpful advice? Huh
I've been using it continuously since March...
http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/
How can I access these services from XBMC? How would I set this up?
Netflix is not possible because of DRM. You can get the Hulu plugin with Bluecops repository. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79148

The only issue with the Hulu plugin is that it is slowly being disabled by Hulu. It still works at the moment though. Read through the Hulu thread to see what still works.

The other Hulu alternative is to download Hulu Desktop and then use the launcher or excicutor addon to launch it.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Thanks, that was very helpful. Next step is for me to integrate my Emulators to it. Nod
If your using windows, there will be a Netflix plugin that will allow the Instant Queue to be displayed in XBMC, and playback by using the external player option.
Should be ready in the next week or so.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is there no Netflix and Hulu support in XBMC as of yet?1