VC1 1080p only 15 frames
well my last post has gone to the moderator black hole :confused2:

I jsut wanted to report that I was having the same stuttering issues and I fixed it by doing the following:
Revo 3610
Karmic 9.10 min. install
xbmc 9.11
Nvidia 190.42

1) Uninstalled all nvidia (with sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia-glx* )
2) installed 195.30 nvidia drivers. (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-195-modaliases nvidia-glx-195 )
3) Installed libvdpaul (thanks Succo! ) ( sudo apt-get install libvdpau1 libvdpau-dev )
4) reinstall xorg (oops) ( sudo atp-get install xorg)
5) recreate .xsession file with line : exec xbmc --standalone
6) run : sudo nvidia-xconfig
7) sudo reboot

Result: sweet, smooooth 1080p h264 video Smile
Time warp, not black hole. Wink
Smile 
I have a Revo 1600 with 1GB RAM. I installed mini Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 following this guide to install the latest stable Camelot: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu which suggested using envyng to install nvidia drivers. It automatically installed the vdpau libs as well. XBMC is running great at 1080P@24FPS. I hear the drivers above 185 has trouble with 5.1 output over HDMI or something like that so I am running 185 and it's working fabulously.

Anyways, just make sure to add the following two lines to the xorg.conf to solve the following issues:

1: Refresh rates shown in XBMC are 52,53,54,55,56,57,58 Hz instead of 60Hz

Add to the "Screen" section of xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"

2. Now, the refresh rate should be correct at 60Hz. However, when playing a 24FPS movie, your TV will still show that it's in 60Hz, even though the frame rate counter (enabled by pressing "o" in XBMC while playing a movie) shows that the movie is playing at 24FPS.

To fix this problem, add the following to the "Screen" section of xorg.conf:

Code:
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

With those two additions to my xorg.conf, my TV correctly receives a 1920x1080P@24 signal from XBMC. So, with a proper signal, more options are available to me. Such as the justified option for Samsung TV, which allow a 1:1 pixel mapping to get rid of any overscans. Also, I can choose to turn on the 120Hz mode if I wanted the frame rate interpolation, in addition to other picture controls. Without that line in the xorg.conf, the movie still runs smoothly, but the TV sees the signal as 1920x1080P@60Hz. So it thinks a PC is connected and greys out all the options I mentioned above.

Lastly, this doesn't seem to be needed in my case but I found out the exact modeline for my TV. In the event anyone else out there needs it, I'll document it here.

Samsung LN52A630
Here is the modeline that I got from Powerstrip. You can follow this guide: Obtaining modelines from Windows Program Powerstrip. I obtained the min and max horizontal and vertical sync range from my TV's manual.

Code:
modeline    "1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

You can insert the modeline into the "Monitor" section of your xconf.org. Here's a snippet from my xorg.conf for comparision:

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Samsung"
    ModelName      "LN52A630"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 60.0
    VertRefresh     60.0 - 75.0
    ModeLine       "1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Hope that helps others. Like I said, things are running great. I can sleep and resume from sleep in about 6secs. All from my Harmony One remote with the MCE2005 USB receiver. Don't forget to enable the box to match refresh rate to video content from within XBMC. The option is right below where you would enable VDPAU.

Cheers,
-Dazex
Do you really need to install libvdpau1 and when you have install the nvidia-glx-195?

I only upgraded my R3610 ion with the nvidia-glx-195 command and vdpau still worked but iam i using an outdated version of vdpau then?

and btw whats nvidia-195-modaliases does it do something special?
calebdk Wrote:Do you really need to install libvdpau1 and when you have install the nvidia-glx-195?

I only upgraded my R3610 ion with the nvidia-glx-195 command and vdpau still worked but iam i using an outdated version of vdpau then?

and btw whats nvidia-195-modaliases does it do something special?

Those are great questions and I wish I had the answers Eek

I was just listing the steps that I did to stop stuttering on my Revo 3610 with 1080p video. I probably didn't have to do all of that but I was reporting what I did so that someone could follow the same recipe to get the same result. All of the steps were taken from various posts and blogs that I stumbled onto.

As for libvdpau1, I was using an older version of libvdpau that got installed somewhere along the line but I was seeing an error in my xbmc.log that it could not be found or initialized (sorry, I forget the exact error message). This seemed to be the culprit and when I installed libvdpau1, things began to work.

It seemed that nvidia-195 was not installing the libvdpau (or at least a current version) hence the reason to install it separately.
Thanks for the great explanation dasex! Big Grin

I have been wondering what some of those xorg.conf options did that everyone seems to post. Personally, I really don't like blindly putting in commands and options unless I have some idea of what they actually do.
Tried your way RDCanuck. i also got a R3610 but no matter what i do my movies still randomly starts to get choppy/frame drops (sounds fine , fps 23.98, cpu <10%, no frame drops logged). Cant believe no one else are having this problem than me Sad
calebdk Wrote:Tried your way RDCanuck. i also got a R3610 but no matter what i do my movies still randomly starts to get choppy/frame drops (sounds fine , fps 23.98, cpu <10%, no frame drops logged). Cant believe no one else are having this problem than me Sad

I tried most if not all the things mentioned in this forum, started my own thread
-> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66155,
still no solution.

Some people simply don't see the judder (my gf for example doesn't even know what
I'm talking about), others talk about their 1080p material playing fine without
specifying what they mean by 1080p. All sorts of 1080p movies play fine on my
machine, my untouched bd rips mostly don't. Judging by the attention my specific problem
has gotten so far, I doubt there will be a solution for it
any time soon unless the problem is driver or vdpau related.

Regards,

Matthias.
wonko Wrote:I tried most if not all the things mentioned in this forum, started my own thread
-> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66155,
still no solution.

Some people simply don't see the judder (my gf for example doesn't even know what
I'm talking about), others talk about their 1080p material playing fine without
specifying what they mean by 1080p. All sorts of 1080p movies play fine on my
machine, my untouched bd rips mostly don't. Judging by the attention my specific problem
has gotten so far, I doubt there will be a solution for it
any time soon unless the problem is driver or vdpau related.

Regards,

Matthias.

You cant get rid of judder. software like motion flow and such on your TV can reduce it by the cost of artifacts and wierd movements.
calebdk Wrote:You cant get rid of judder. software like motion flow and such on your TV can reduce it by the cost of artifacts and wierd movements.

Just to make that clear:

I see no judder playing my original bds on my ps3 or the rips I made for
streaming to my ps3.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VC1 1080p only 15 frames0