XBMC 9.11 random jumping on Asus ION330 Ubuntu 9.11
Sad 
Hi, before I post a bug report I wonder if anyone has seen this problem.

The problem is that video playback suddenly jumps backwards or forwards. Sometimes it may take an hour for this problem to occur, other times it is randomly jumping every five minutes or so.

When a jump occurs, it's usually within 10 minutes or so of where it jumped from. (I haven't observed it jump to the far opposite side of the video or anything.)

When this problem happens, it is usually the case that a VCR-style menu bar (with fast-forward, rewind, etc. buttons) appears at the top of the screen while the video continues to play from its new random point. I don't normally have a menu bar there.

I cannot figure out a pattern to this unwanted jumping. After fast-forwarding or rewinding to return to what I was watching, the same section of video does not jump again. So I can't seem to predict when it's going to happen again.

This has happened with a variety of video types (AVI, MPG, MKV, etc.) ripped with different tools from different sources, and I've even had it happen while watching a Youtube video streaming thru one of the optional plugins. High-resolution, low-resolution, long duration, short duration... it doesn't seem to matter, they're all affected.

If I exit XBMC and play the video with another player (MPlayer, VLC, etc.), I don't have any issues.

A sample log is at http://pastebin.com/m6c5d10a4 . In this log, the problem occurs around the 9:20 time. I also noted a new crash log (at http://pastebin.com/m31e55c90 ) in this instance, but I'm not sure if there is always a crash log when the problem happens.

Specs:
  • ASRock ION330 connected via HDMI (VPDAU) to large screen tv.
  • x386_32
  • Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) with latest updates as of Dec 24th 2009 (problem was also present since first Karmic install)
  • XBMC 9.11 Dec 24th build (problem was also present in 9.11 betas and RCs)
  • Installed via PPA

I used to run Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty on this same hardware with an earlier version of XBMC (whichever was stable before 9.11) and I never had a problem like this.

I am not sure what other troubleshooting I can try. I did try putting my remote control in another room, to ensure that it wasn't due to some kind of accidental signal from the remote. That didn't help.

Any ideas appreciated. Also, if there's any other info suggested for filing a bug report, I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks in advance.
- Christopher Graz
Any chance you have a USB keyboard/mouse connected? I had the same problem and it turned out that my wireless kb/mouse was the culprit. Don't ask me why or how, I have no idea lol
I do have USB keyboard, mouse, and remote control connection. The ION330 only has USB connection options for these, actually.

I can try running without the USB mouse and keyboard and see if it makes any difference. I'll have the leave the remote control in or I won't be able to control at all. :-)

dgege, did you try disconnecting just one item (mouse vs keyboard) at a time?

Thanks for your suggestion.
christophergraz Wrote:I do have USB keyboard, mouse, and remote control connection. The ION330 only has USB connection options for these, actually.

I can try running without the USB mouse and keyboard and see if it makes any difference. I'll have the leave the remote control in or I won't be able to control at all. :-)

dgege, did you try disconnecting just one item (mouse vs keyboard) at a time?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Mine a wireless kb/mouse combo, so only one receiver. I did keep the IR remote in and it seems to work well, no more complaints from the gf so far Smile
I can confirm this problem. Also with xbmc 9.11 from the precompiled ppa's on Ubuntu 9.10. I had already tried different nvidia drivers (185, 190, 195) and every possible setting with the screensaver config. I've been scratching my head ever since. So thanks for pointing to the wireless devices.

My mouse is a wireless USB; keyboard wireless via ps/2. Both IR.

Everything did work flawlessly on the exact same system configuration with Ubuntu 9.04 and xbmc 9.04. So now I wonder if the newer Ubuntu is at fault or if it's the newer xbmc.

I'm going to shop for a keyboard/mouse(/touchpad) combo today & see if that resolves this issue. (I plan to buy the bluetooth Logitech Cordless Mediaboard Pro, that comes with a touchpad on the keyboard)
Update:
I did buy the bluetooth keyboard/touchpad combo today & the issue is resolved
It is weird tho, I wonder why a wireless receiver would screw it up like that.
Anyways, I'm glad you resolved it!
The only thing I can think of is that Ubuntu or the input devices themselves do some sort of wake-up call after a specified time-interval & xbmc interprets that as input. I don't know, but it's resolved! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 9.11 random jumping on Asus ION330 Ubuntu 9.110