Won't load past splash screen
I'm BRAND new to getting this to work... I just softmoded my original XBOX today and installed the latest stable release of XBMC ... then everything worked dandy and I wanted to try the newest version so I deleted the old one from the dashboard drive (which I'm guessing is where i screwed something up) and FTPed the new one into that drive.

Now I restarted my XBOX and it loads the BIOS screen then flashes XBMC extremely quick and goes to black. I can't FTP into the XBOX anymore with the same settings that I had used before. I don't think the XBOX is connecting to the network at all like it was before. How can I save my XBOX?

Thanks for your help - I couldn't find any threads with this specific problem, but if there are and you can link me I would appreciate it. Thanks so much!
If you keep the right stick clicked when you boot up xbmc, it'll give you an option to delete your userdata. Try doing that, first, and seeing if it fixes it. If not, make a DVD with unleashx on it, and you can use that to rescue your xbox.
Do you mean the right joy stick thing... just hold it down when I start the XBOX?

If that doesn't work... where do I get the stuff to make a DVD for unleashx?
You might be better off holding white + Y as XBMC starts. That should give you FTP access so you can repeat the upgrade procedure.

As a general rule, attempting to update XBMC while running it is doomed to failure.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Thanks, Bomb -
how do you connect to it to update it then? I can't access it while its off...

I will let you guys know what happens later tonight. Thanks for the input.
While XBMC is running "normally", certain files are "locked" and can't be changed (even when using the recovery console). Your system cannot boot "normally", so the recovery console will likely work.

In other cases, you'd simply load some other dash - or even a secondary copy of XBMC - and use that to perform the upgrade.

The T3CH upgrader script also handles such matters for you.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Thanks for all your help. I ended up getting it to work by just throwing splinter cell back in the console and using the exploit to take off the SoftMod and then just went through... reapplied it... then FTPed the newest XBMC onto the directory.

I couldn't get any of those button combos to do anything for me, so I'm glad there was a work around that was that easy.
For future updates, do as Bomb Bloke suggested and boot up a secondary dash when you want to FTP the new XBMC over. It could be UnleashX(if that was the dash you had previous to XBMC), or just install XBMC again somewhere else and only boot that copy when you want to update your main copy.

What I do for this is pretty easy. My XBMC directory is E:/XBMC/, and the boot directory that was set during the softmod is E:/dash/, where my UnleashX boot files were. I cleared out the files in E:/dash/, four files total, and backed them up to my PC. I put in the XBMC shortcut + config file(which are also copied to my PC), so my xbox would boot to XBMC. Whenever I want to update XBMC I boot up the xbox, connect via FTP, pull out the two XBMC files in E:/dash/ and put in the four UnleashX files, reboot the xbox in to UnleashX, connect via FTP, remove the four UnleashX files and put in the two XBMC files, update XBMC, reboot the xbox in to the updated XBMC. Works every time with zero issues, and this also makes a great fallback option if XBMC is ever corrupted, I just throw the UnleashX files back in to the boot directory and use that dash until I can fix XBMC.
Wow... sounds complicated. I guess I'll look into that when I need to update.
You could just do a second XBMC install if you have the space, navigate to it via file manager and boot the default.xbe in its directory to boot that XBMC version to update your main version. When you're done, use file manager to navigate to your main xbmc directory and boot that default.xbe. Just make sure when you do the update that you're updating your main, just leave the secondary install as-is since you'll only be using it every once in a while.

I don't use the updater script, either. I FTP and delete the contents of my XBMC directory, only saving UserData and the keymapping.xml file since I edited it a while ago. I also save any folders in the directory that aren't replaced by the new build...screenshots and 2-3 other folders.
Oh, so do like E:/XBMC_Temp/ and then put a seperate version on there, right?

Then just load it through the file manager so I can update the main one... I dig it!
thePWNin8r Wrote:Oh, so do like E:/XBMC_Temp/ and then put a seperate version on there, right?

Then just load it through the file manager so I can update the main one... I dig it!

Yup, would be easier than my method. Cool
and Easy is how I roll!! Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Won't load past splash screen0