Coming Soon - MediaStream v1.5
Is the "Hide Info in Media Preview" option in settings->skin->movies intentionally removed?

Also, is there any chance that we may get a modified (smaller) 'Coverflow' view? Something like the Aeon Multiplex view would be amazing.

Thanks for your hard work!
Yep, I've removed a few options as I'm trying to make the skin easier to use. There were quite a few options which dramatically changed some of the views and most of them were added because we'd already hit the 10 view limit.

Nowadays that 10 view limit has gone so there's no need to have all those confusing view options so I've removed them. Once I get this release out (and polish off any bugs that are found) then I'm going to be revisiting the views, tidying up the current ones further and possibly adding some new ones.
Follow development of MediaStream, MiniMeedia and other skins on Twitter (@skunkm0nkee)
I seem to be missing something but I can not find the Smart Playlist UI anywhere in XBMC using any skin. How do I access this? I read it's suppose to be in Playlist folder somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I also have never built anytype of playlist before.

Edit: Nevermind... found it. Had to manually add playlists to video source. That seemed to do the trick. THANKS!

New question/request

Is it possible to have all the same information that is shown in Movies (Media Preview) appear in Videos (Media Preview)?

I.e, all the metadata info, director, ratings, etc.

Thanks,

RoT
skunkm0nkee Wrote:[SNIP]
Nowadays that 10 view limit has gone so there's no need to have all those confusing view options so I've removed them.
While the goal of making things 'easier' and more 'user friendly' is admirable, let me insert an EEEKS! here.

skunkm0nkee Wrote:Once I get this release out (and polish off any bugs that are found) then I'm going to be revisiting the views, tidying up the current ones further and possibly adding some new ones.

Well, that leaves hope for the future. MediaStream is by far my favorite skin. However, the lack of this view is probably going to push me into using a different skin for the time being (I'm setting up a new revo atm). I grepped around in the 'sources' I pulled from svn today, but without perhaps reading some documentation (*cough*) I can't find a trivial to get that view back. Then again, I guess I'd lose out on the very nice resolution/format/etc information for files and I may as well just run an older version of the skin.

Thanks again, and I hope you have time to perhaps add a few more views to the skin in the future.
UserInterface Wrote:Sorry maybe I was not clear... It is just getting to the context menu that I can not do... if I VNC to my HTPC and press "C" on the menu then all is fine, I can get to and run the library update (and it works) however I want to skip the use of the keyboard\VNC so that XBMC relies solely on the remote control.

Wouldn't it make more sense to map a button on your remote to take care of that? I believe there is software out there that makes that modification easy enough, although I'm not sure how limited your real estate is on your remote. The context menu is used in pretty much every screen, may make life a little easier for you.

Just a thought...

RoT
das.rot Wrote:Is it possible to have all the same information that is shown in Movies (Media Preview) appear in Videos (Media Preview)?

I.e, all the metadata info, director, ratings, etc.

That information isn't available to the skin in videos, it's only available when in library mode (movies or tv shows).

bomana Wrote:While the goal of making things 'easier' and more 'user friendly' is admirable, let me insert an EEEKS! here.

Well, that leaves hope for the future. MediaStream is by far my favorite skin. However, the lack of this view is probably going to push me into using a different skin for the time being (I'm setting up a new revo atm). I grepped around in the 'sources' I pulled from svn today, but without perhaps reading some documentation (*cough*) I can't find a trivial to get that view back. Then again, I guess I'd lose out on the very nice resolution/format/etc information for files and I may as well just run an older version of the skin.

Thanks again, and I hope you have time to perhaps add a few more views to the skin in the future.

I fully expect that there will be those out there that did use some of the options I've removed but hopefully the changes I've made (and plan to make) will make it worthwhile.

The last version of MediaStream that was released was a bit unweildy and difficult to manage so the goal this time has been to simplify things and try to make it a bit more user friendly (and also simplify the code so that it's easier to maintain and modify going forward).
Follow development of MediaStream, MiniMeedia and other skins on Twitter (@skunkm0nkee)
waiting for it!
skunkm0nkee Wrote:I fully expect that there will be those out there that did use some of the options I've removed but hopefully the changes I've made (and plan to make) will make it worthwhile.

The last version of MediaStream that was released was a bit unweildy and difficult to manage so the goal this time has been to simplify things and try to make it a bit more user friendly (and also simplify the code so that it's easier to maintain and modify going forward).

I've just updated the code in SVN and added a new Media Preview Lite view which is pretty much the same as the Media Preview view but with the info turned off.
das.rot Wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to map a button on your remote to take care of that? I believe there is software out there that makes that modification easy enough, although I'm not sure how limited your real estate is on your remote. The context menu is used in pretty much every screen, may make life a little easier for you.

Just a thought...

RoT

I am using a cheap MCE remote but it has all the same buttons as a real one, tell me where to map the button to and how, and I would gladly do it. The problem is that every time we start messing around with that kinda thing XBMC starts becoming unreliable. Since the thread said that the modifications are getting made to make things simpler and add new features I thought it would be a good time to ask..

If it will not be done through the skin, then I will look at more drastic changes or simply select another one.. but I assume that it must be a pain for more people then just me, but as usual I could be wrong or due to me only just having moved to XBMC there may already be a setting somewhere that can resolve this..
Never know unless you ask..

If the way it is being selected is the problem then there are other options..
Leave it the way it is, but if you push right to bring up the other menu, maybe push right again to switch it to the context menu, that way no one else is affected, but new users can still get to it with out having to hack XBMC
Okay, possibly a dumb question but I'm new to this... How can I add the svn for the MediaStream skin so that it updates when I run sudo apt-get update/upgrade/install?

Barring that, is there a linux build of the new skin version I can download and sftp over to the skins folder?

--
Francis
UserInterface Wrote:I am using a cheap MCE remote but it has all the same buttons as a real one, tell me where to map the button to and how, and I would gladly do it. The problem is that every time we start messing around with that kinda thing XBMC starts becoming unreliable. Since the thread said that the modifications are getting made to make things simpler and add new features I thought it would be a good time to ask..

If it will not be done through the skin, then I will look at more drastic changes or simply select another one.. but I assume that it must be a pain for more people then just me, but as usual I could be wrong or due to me only just having moved to XBMC there may already be a setting somewhere that can resolve this..
Never know unless you ask..

If the way it is being selected is the problem then there are other options..
Leave it the way it is, but if you push right to bring up the other menu, maybe push right again to switch it to the context menu, that way no one else is affected, but new users can still get to it with out having to hack XBMC

Unfortunately my IR port no longer works so I can't test any of this out myself so I will kind of shoot from the hip. I would start out by checking out this webpage http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml . Do you have a Title or Guide button? If so this should bring up the context menu without any editing. Otherwise, you would have to make a quick modification to your remote.xml in the system/keymap/ folder. I am not sure what type of remote you have and what buttons you have, but if you have color buttons in the <global> section you could change it to <blue>ContextMenu</blue> or something like that.

Hope that helps

RoT
DataFran Wrote:Okay, possibly a dumb question but I'm new to this... How can I add the svn for the MediaStream skin so that it updates when I run sudo apt-get update/upgrade/install?

Not possible, must be installed manually.

The easiest way is to build the skin on a windows PC and transfer it over to your Linux machine. Download the tar file from svn, that's the link Download GNU tarball at the bottom.

then run the XBMCTex.bat file to build the skin.

Its a little bit more pain to install the XBMCTex program on Linux as you have to download it from the xbmc svn and compile it. If you build the skin on a Windows PC, everything you need is with the skin.

If you have a samba share setup, it is pretty easy.
skunkm0nkee Wrote:That information isn't available to the skin in videos, it's only available when in library mode (movies or tv shows).

It appears to be accessing the information (star rating and metadata info) in the other view modes though (info list/showcase)
DataFran Wrote:Okay, possibly a dumb question but I'm new to this... How can I add the svn for the MediaStream skin so that it updates when I run sudo apt-get update/upgrade/install?

Barring that, is there a linux build of the new skin version I can download and sftp over to the skins folder?

--
Francis

There will be a packaged release in the next day or so Cool
skunkm0nkee Wrote:I've just updated the code in SVN and added a new Media Preview Lite view which is pretty much the same as the Media Preview view but with the info turned off.

Thanks a lot! If it would display the new res/format/etc info it would be just about perfect -perhaps in the 'info' view would suffice Wink

Anywho, I have another issue. Scrolling performs horribly. For some reason scrolling on the xbox is *much* better than on this Acer Revo. On the xbox the covers scroll by fairly smoothly and the 'letter indicator' pops up. You can stop when you reach the desired letter. This doesn't work at all on the Revo (with this new skin - I haven't tried an old MediaStream yet). On the Revo there is some jitter of the covers, the screen freezes and a randomly selected movie is selected when you release the button. Its not even usable.

This may not be a skin issue at all, since other skins seem to behave similarly. Confluence and MediaStream_Redux don't have this issue, but those skins stop loading the cover graphic and display "blank covers" while scrolling quickly. Aeon is usable as well, but the cover graphics lag.

Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Coming Soon - MediaStream v1.50