• 1(current)
[RELEASE] xbTweet - a Twitter Script for XBMC (notify your followers from XBMC)
Thumbs Up 
xbtweet is a small script that works with your XBMC to tweet what you're playing and show your timeline.

Features
  • Auto startup and background run
  • Supports both OAuth and plain authentication with Twitter
  • Automatic tweets of what you're playing: movies, tv shows or music
  • Recieve your timeline notifications during playback, you choose how and when
  • Supports Proxy accounts, you can tweet to one account and get notifications for another
  • Integrates with Facebook.
  • Supports skin integration, you can click and tweet while watching a video or playing music
  • Keyboard/Controller integration, tweet with the press of a button
  • Fully customizable automatic tweets and tags.
  • Include bit.ly links for more information about what you're playing (imdb/thetvdb.com/last.fm)
  • Supports path exclusions of items from tweets, protect what you don't want to share with other Wink
  • Optimized Twitter API support
  • Supported languages: English, Danish, Dutch and Portuguese (Brazil).
Download
xbtweet is available via REPO SVN Installer, you can find it under xbmc-addons/scripts/xbtweet.
For beta versions and more information, you can check my blog.
You can always use the project's page for the latest versions.

Known Issues
The latest version does not include yet a translation for Swedish which was available for previous betas. If you want to help with translations, drop me a line.

Screen Shots
Use your controller or keyboard to type your own tweets while playing your media

Receive notifications while watching your movies or listening to your music

You can keep updated with your twitter friends during play

Credits
Thanks for all the help: blittan, gregtreble, antonio, peter, Christian and anyone else I forgot.

I hope you enjoy the script and I'd like very much to hear your feedback Smile
--mr. kav
This script is brilliant. I've been waiting for functionality like this for a long while! Would it be possible to get this in the SVN?
i don't know about automatic tweeting. what if i'm watching pr0n or something and the tweets are a little racy.? it there an option to turn it off?

but the background running sounds interesting.

**wait... does this work on XBOX?
Auto Tweet isn't working in my xbmc... Can you help me?
Meez Wrote:i don't know about automatic tweeting. what if i'm watching pr0n or something and the tweets are a little racy.? it there an option to turn it off?

but the background running sounds interesting.

**wait... does this work on XBOX?
I'm very aware of pr0n :-) so I'm adding an exclude folder option, you can always turn off the auto tweet and use the skin integration option.
About the background running, I think this is the highlight of the script. I've been for a while for bug #6148 to be closed and thanks to the xbmc team this functionality can be used. I'll try to put a few words about it on my blog during the weekend, maybe someone would find it interesting.
XBOX, there's no way to use OAuth because it requires a browser, but you can always use plain text authentication which is supported. I have no idea if it will work since I have no way of testing it. If you have one, I'd be more than happy to get your feedback.

rgf21 Wrote:Auto Tweet isn't working in my xbmc... Can you help me?
I just replied to your comment on the blog , let's understand why and get you up and tweeting :-)

gergtreble Wrote:This script is brilliant. I've been waiting for functionality like this for a long while! Would it be possible to get this in the SVN?
Thanks, a question to the forum. Anyone knows how a script can be introduced into the public SVN?
mr. kav: PM me you gmail address and I will hook you up with svn access. Smile
This really is a cool script. Just updated to the most recent version and it works even better. All it needs is some way to get the series/episode numbers in the TV tweet and a "pr0n mode" lol.

Big respect to the designer who has made himself available on twitter to troubleshoot my problems.

Thanks again.
Guys,

You can now find xbTweet available in the SVN Repo Installer, it is located under xbmc-addons/scripts (thanks blittan).

Please feel free to follow me on Twitter, @itayw and to post any issues you encounter. I'm keen on getting this script working with a good set of features.

Enjoy,
Itay
There are several problems with this script. For starters, I couldn't get it working at all with the XBMC for Windows.

On the Xbox, you are obviously unable to use OAuth. I had to manually edit the settings.xml file to get the password field to show up. And even after authenticating it properly for the first time, I had no idea this had occurred because no message was displayed on-screen at all. I had to go into the debug log and check for myself.

Because I use the default Project Mayhem III skin, I do not have skin integration, and have no way of just pushing a button to tweet about individual songs or videos. The lack of an interface for this script is rather annoying.

When the automatic tweeting options are on, xbTweet pays no attention to how long the file has been playing for. It automatically tweeted everything I played as soon as it started playing.

Also, I am not sure how much control you have over this, but when not using OAuth, tweets aren't shown to be coming from "xbTweet", just "API". For me, this is annoying beyond belief and probably means I won't be using it.

Another small complaint I have is the number of hashtags you insist on including in the default messages. It's completely unnecessary to include #xbTweet in the tweet when it already says "from xbTweet" right underneath it.

The option to automatically follow the creator should be deselected by default in the settings, or simply removed altogether. I should have full control over who I'm following and something like that is relatively misleading.

Upon inspection of the code in this project I've also found that there are still references to "xbTwitter", despite the project being renamed to "xbTweet" as per Twitter's rules on what API clients can be named. You should probably get around to fixing this ASAP.
Thumbs Up 
nice script, notice this in logs.. had debug on, and percentage set to 1, so it tweets straight away.

PHP Code:
21:02:08 T:2953318400 M:633270272  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.269662921348
21:02:13 T:2953318400 M:633339904  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:13 T:2953318400 M:633339904  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.269662921348
21:02:18 T:2953318400 M:633221120  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:18 T:2953318400 M:633221120  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.269662921348
21:02:23 T:2953318400 M:632328192  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:23 T:2953318400 M:632328192  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.269662921348
21:02:28 T:2953318400 M:633327616  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:28 T:2953318400 M:633327616  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.269662921348
21:02:33 T:2953318400 M:633376768  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:33 T:2953318400 M:633376768  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.269662921348
21:02:38 T:2953318400 M:633876480  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:38 T:2953318400 M:633876480  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.269662921348
21:02:43 T:2953318400 M:633683968  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:43 T:2953318400 M:633638912  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.280898876404
21:02:48 T:2953318400 M:627793920  NOTICETweeting Video...
21:02:48 T:2953318400 M:627793920  NOTICETitleWatching Zoolander (2001on #xbmc #xbtweet #nowplaying current percentage: 0.280898876404 

Also, any plans to have facebook integration Rolleyes
Wow, thanks djmattyg007 for the detailed feedback. I added your comments as issues on the project's code space and I'll get back to you with detailed answers later today/tomorrow. Very valuable comments.
Thanks for the feedback.
Ilia Wrote:nice script, notice this in logs.. had debug on, and percentage set to 1, so it tweets straight away.
This is used for debug and testing purposes. The script 'remembers' the last tweet and will not re-tweet if it's the same, so what you're actually seeing is the check if it already tweeted or not.

Ilia Wrote:Also, any plans to have facebook integration Rolleyes
No plans yet, but if the demand will be high... You can sort it out by adding a Facebook app for linking with Twitter.
Information 
First of all djmattyg007 thanks again for all the comments.
I made many improvements and changes to the script. Some are a result of your comments, I added detailed answers to the comments you raised.

The script is now available on the google code space, but only as a package. I plan to get through another session of bug testing before releasing it to the xbmc-addons SVN.
I'll post another reply with a change log tomorrow on this thread.

djmattyg007 Wrote:There are several problems with this script. For starters, I couldn't get it working at all with the XBMC for Windows.
That's funny since I'm working on Windows, so I would expect it won't be the problematic platform Blush. I understand that you did manage to get it working, can you please share more details?

djmattyg007 Wrote:On the Xbox, you are obviously unable to use OAuth. I had to manually edit the settings.xml file to get the password field to show up. And even after authenticating it properly for the first time, I had no idea this had occurred because no message was displayed on-screen at all. I had to go into the debug log and check for myself.
As mentioned, XBOX doesn't offer any browser capabilities, a must for OAuth. Therefore, the only option is to use the username/password option. I fixed the settings issue and the field is now visible. Regarding the informational display of authentication success/failure, you have a valid point here and I'll add more visual indications of the process.

djmattyg007 Wrote:Because I use the default Project Mayhem III skin, I do not have skin integration, and have no way of just pushing a button to tweet about individual songs or videos. The lack of an interface for this script is rather annoying.
I wish to avoid putting an "real" UI, I'm lousy at this and I find myself wasting time on a "pixel here, pixel there" issues which drives me nuts Angry.
So, because you don't have the option to use a dedicated button of the skin, I added a proper support for keyboard/controller shortcut (keymap.xml or the new keyboard.xml). It works very well and you can tweet away with a click of a button. A question back to you, what I did is, when you click on the shortcut it will pop-up a pre-populated keyboard screen that you approve and it tweets away. The field is pre-populated based on your custom tweets and fully editable. Is this what you had in mind?

First of all djmattyg007 thanks again for all the comments. If anyone else downloaded the script, please provide your feedback, it's very helpful.

djmattyg007 Wrote:There are several problems with this script. For starters, I couldn't get it working at all with the XBMC for Windows.
That's funny since I'm working on Windows and I don't have the chance to test it on other platforms Blush. I understand that you did manage to get it working, can you please share more details?

djmattyg007 Wrote:On the Xbox, you are obviously unable to use OAuth. I had to manually edit the settings.xml file to get the password field to show up. And even after authenticating it properly for the first time, I had no idea this had occurred because no message was displayed on-screen at all. I had to go into the debug log and check for myself.
As mentioned, XBOX doesn't offer any browser capabilities, a must for OAuth. Therefore, the only option is to use the username/password option. I fixed the settings issue and the field is now visible. Regarding the informational display of authentication success/failure, you have a valid point here and I'll add more visual indications of the process.

djmattyg007 Wrote:When the automatic tweeting options are on, xbTweet pays no attention to how long the file has been playing for. It automatically tweeted everything I played as soon as it started playing.
Is this based on the debug log? If so, then it's just a debug print, there's no actual tweet. If it's based on the percentage of play, this is a bug. Can you provide more information?

djmattyg007 Wrote:Also, I am not sure how much control you have over this, but when not using OAuth, tweets aren't shown to be coming from "xbTweet", just "API". For me, this is annoying beyond belief and probably means I won't be using it.
ANNOYING is the word! Sorry mate, can't control it. Only OAuth offers an application name in the tweet. Maybe someone knows a different way, but that's what I know.

djmattyg007 Wrote:Another small complaint I have is the number of hashtags you insist on including in the default messages. It's completely unnecessary to include #xbTweet in the tweet when it already says "from xbTweet" right underneath it.
I separated the tags from the custom tweet in the settings page, this allows you now to have full control over what is tweeted. BTW, you always had full control, the default is with #xbTwitter. I thought it would be nice to see the usage of the script during its early days. That's why I kept it as part of the default setting.

djmattyg007 Wrote:The option to automatically follow the creator should be deselected by default in the settings, or simply removed altogether. I should have full control over who I'm following and something like that is relatively misleading.
Very valid comment! Since the code is now released in the Repo SVN and users don't have a way to read a disclaimer or any kind of notice informing them in advance about it, I changed the setting to be 'no' as default.

djmattyg007 Wrote:Upon inspection of the code in this project I've also found that there are still references to "xbTwitter", despite the project being renamed to "xbTweet" as per Twitter's rules on what API clients can be named. You should probably get around to fixing this ASAP.
Thanks, fixed.

If anyone else downloaded the script, please provide your feedback, it's very helpful.
uploaded a patch to allow translations, also a swedish translation to xbTweet on google code.
also on a side note, you don't need to include the .pyo files with the script. they get built anyway.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] xbTweet - a Twitter Script for XBMC (notify your followers from XBMC)3