Newby question: does XBMC Linux version support my Terratec USB-TV-Tuner?
Hi all,

I want to buy a compact but cheap HTPC, (which probably rules out expensive Windows version) and have it show live TV using my USB Terratec Cinergy T Hybrid XS TV-Tuner.

Terratec is a popular supplier of compact USB TV-Tuners, but say they don't support Linux.

I am guessing, all that is needed are Linux Drivers to allow XBMC to use it.

Also, regarding choice of HTPC, I travel a lot, so need v. lightweight/sized hardware, and was first considering dedicated 'Media-Streamers' as reviewed by iboum.com, but was a bit dissapointed in the reviews of UI, until looking in their HTPC section and came across the new Acer Revo 3610L (they sell a Win7 version at near double price). However, it uses a rather 'weak' Atom N330 dual-core 1.6GHz CPU, which Terratec say, would be quite marginal as their usual recommendation is 2GHz CPU+1GB RAM under Windows.
The other big limitation for travellers, is the Revo has no O/P for older TV 'Composite' connections of which the vast majority in Latin America use, hence my thinking to buy a cheap monitor in event of no compatible TV where I stay, and use my USB TV-Tuner.

I would have thought the Revo 3610L + XBMC ideal, if it had a more efficient CULV type CPU and support for Composite Out and traditional 525/625 line SD support. All my material is RMVB or other SD, no HD as yet - but clearly also require HD compatibility that will soon hit me.

Has anyone got any suggestions on either my Terratec Tuner and/or a better 'Revo' ?

Thanks in advance for any help
Terratec is well supported in Linux. I've just ordered a T3 today.

Check if your device is on this list:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices
XBMC itself doesn't support any tuner cards and we don't intend to ever. We will instead remain a frontend for the many, already proven, PVR backends available. Better integration with this respect is in the PVR branch which is slated for merge soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newby question: does XBMC Linux version support my Terratec USB-TV-Tuner?0