Strange issue when booting or rebooting Jaunty/XBMC
This is not a huge issue, but I'm looking for the best way to troubleshoot it.

Hardware: Acer Revo 230 ion
XBMC: 9.11 Camelot

XBMC Live script is installed with usplash boot image to launch XBMC on boot.

I used the script in this thread to install XBMC on Jaunty after completing the Jaunty mini install:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=374815&postcount=1

The first two times booting up after the install, the boot would hang after the first XBMC logo screen just after:

Hardware Abstraction Layer

HALD ...........................................crond [OK]

Then the cursor would just flash and the screen would keep refreshing with the same info like it was stuck in a loop.

Manually powered it down, and now it get to the same point, but now XBMC loads and is working flawlessly. However, If I choose to reboot from within XBMC, it drops back out to this screen and doesn't reboot. I don't even get a terminal prompt.

Where should I start looking to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks for any suggestions for those who have more experience with Debian-based Distros.

-hogfan
Team XBMC doesn't support that script, please make a support request to the author directly. I'd suggest you install XBMC Live instead, which we do support.
I would love to have installed live, but I gave up after several attempts on my Revo. I was able to make the USB drive bootable with unetbootin, but the installer refused to let me proceed without a CD-ROM drive. I tried several different changes to the syslinux.cfg file on the root of USB drive, but no dice. Finally gave up and installed Jaunty minimal then ran the script posted above.

I believe my issue is related to someting jaunty is trying to load but is hanging up on, I'm just not sure what to look at to find where the problem is happening. I'm not asking for support with the script listed. thanks.
Eh, there are SEVERAL howto's for installing on that thing. Might wanna give them (not one) a read and make sure you haven't missed something.
If anybody else experiences this problem, I was able to fix it by re-running the following commands via an SSH session:

Quote:2. There is a bug in Mini Jaunty where the user's account doesn't get added to the audio group, to fix that:
Code:

sudo usermod -a -G audio xbmc

AND

Quote:Add the xbmc user to the power utilies groups, thanks to Pvt_Ryan for the commands:
Code:

sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange issue when booting or rebooting Jaunty/XBMC0