• 4(current)
[LIVE] XBMC unresponsive hangs when idle for a while
Yeah honestly I haven't got a clue what the issue is and no one seems to be paying attenton - at this point I figure it might be dome sort of underlying markic issue, so I am waiting for the next XBMC release on Lucid Lynx and will re-assess then - rebooting once a day isn't so bad for a couple months till the new version comes out.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Hi,

For me it is not related to share (either NFS or samba).
I have the exact same issue (running XBMC 9.11 on Ubuntu 9.10) and all the medias datas I want to access are stored locally on the computer...
Thanks for posting spinal. Given that it's happening locally as well, I'm not sure how we capture the relevant info and get it into a bug report. It actually hasn't happened to me for awhile, can anyone turn on debugging and capture the log the next time this happens and try opening a TRAC ticket with the info? I think that's where we'll have to start if we want the devs to take a look at this.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
------------------------------------------
From reading this thread, everybody seems to describe this issue when starting a video after a long idle time. I use xbmc mainly for handling my music library, and same happens to me when I start a music track...
For your information my xbmc is driven remotly from the iPhone/iPod app. But my issue is so perfectly close from the one described in this thread that I can't believe it's not the same source of issue.
I'm thinking mine might be DPMS issue. XBMC intercepts the lirc button presses and a keypress isn't generated to wakeup the system.

I thought I tried this on the keyboard before and it still wouldn't wake up. Maybe I have two problems.

I'm running debug logging, I'll post something when I'm certain the behavior is recreated. Sounds like others had problems recreating during debug.
This started happening between the beta series and the release of Camelot. I have been running 1:9.11~beta1+svn25284-karmic1 with no hangups for a week now. Prior to installing this, I was hanging up daily. Next I am going to try 1:9.11~beta2-karmic1 and then 1:9.11~beta2-karmic25640 and see if those are okay.

Doug.
Okay. 1:9.11~beta2-karmic1 hung up on me last night. I am now trying 1:9.11~beta1+svn25363-karmic1
Wow, this sounds exactly like my issue.

zotac ion
2gb ram

happens in both, live and minimal karmic install with camelot

hangs for a bit on both audio(infrequently) and starting video.
Connect to NFS
It more commonly happens in the morning after wake from suspend, but does happen at other times. I originally thought it was due to scanning both music and video on wake, however I've since turned that to only scan via button press and still get hangs.

btw whomever configured stop and start xbmc via remote button press, is there a how-to on that?
Same problem here!
Ubuntu 9.10, XBMC standalone. No network shares, only fstab.
Can browse but with no sound (just thought of this), hangs when I try to play.

Will check into the pulse audio fix someone posted earlier.
Control XBMC throught iphone app, but thats got nothing to do with it. Have to ssh in and reboot to get it to play again.
Must be a general problem with so many different setups.

-C
Same issue here.. Karmic x32 on Asrock Ion 330.
The same Karmic32 on Asrock 330HT, here's my xbmc.log right before the last freeze:

-----------
22:17:27 T:3078469520 M:1641930752 NOTICE: Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections
-----------

Wow, just now after about 10 minutes and alot of remote-presses it woke up and now it works again. The SSH works during the freeze and I can see the "lircd" process running when pressing the remote and running TOP on the Asrock via SSH.
Maybe it will help to play around with the "deadtime" parameter in the samba config file?
This is a major annoyance for me as well. I cannot, for the life of me, get my Zotac MAG to properly wake on USB, so my solution is to leave the darn thing on all the time. Except that when I leave it on and come back the next day, I cannot play anything. Some message about the source being available, though I know it is. The server is a Win 7 over SMB. A reboot of XBMC gets it all working again. I'm not sure if I've added to the conversation, but hopefuly I can help in some small way. I would love to get this fixed, because the whole power issue is one of my last, unsolved issues that is standing in the way of me getting rid of the monster known as Comcast.
Got a freeze again today, the same last line in the xbmc.log
---------
19:05:07 T:3078653840 M:1602113536 NOTICE: Samba is idle. Closing the remaining
---------

It does however only freeze for a while, maybe 10 minutes and then it works again.
In addition to my Linux/Ion, I have a Windows PC with XBMC on it as well. I've noticed similar behavior with it freezing after being left idle.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] XBMC unresponsive hangs when idle for a while0