libvdpau 0.2 now a requirement for trunk builds?
Hi,

I had problems during the last days to get VDPAU working with my experimental XBMC packages in my launchpad PPA. I noticed that VDPAU could not be activated in a running XBMC instance as long as it was NOT built depending on the 195.xx driver (which to my understanding includes libvdpau 0.2)

The last XBMC karmic packages I built that worked fine with VDPAU were representing the trunk @ 254xx. The build was depending on the standard Karmic Nvidia libvdpau-dev package.

With my latest XBMC karmic packages representing trunk @ 26xxx I got the following message in the build log which seem to be related to ffmpeg:

Please upgrade to libvdpau >= 0.2 if you would like vdpau support.

In Lucid, libvdpau and libvdpau-dev will be packages independently from the Nvidia drivers [1], but for Karmic I guess we still need to stick with the vdpau-stuff as being part of the driver, I think that we now have a dependency of XBMC to Nvidia drivers 195.

Is this thinking in any way correct?

Cheers,
hepi

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywor...ection=all
as i already said, libvdpau > 0.2 is already an independant package, and you can find it in nvidia-vdpau ppa, and it's requested to build the ffmpeg version xbmc is using after 25902 or something like that (the version which broke sd files play with vdpau)
it's not dependant on a specific driver version, so you won't need to update libvdpau any time you update the drivers, so there will be no xbmc dependancy on nvidia-glx-something, but only, if you want vdpau support, you'll need to have libvdpau (& dev), which are currently available for karmic on ppa and will be on lucid in standard repositories Smile
Thanks for the clarification!
succo Wrote:as i already said, libvdpau > 0.2 is already an independant package, and you can find it in nvidia-vdpau ppa, and it's requested to build the ffmpeg version xbmc is using after 25902 or something like that (the version which broke sd files play with vdpau)
it's not dependant on a specific driver version, so you won't need to update libvdpau any time you update the drivers, so there will be no xbmc dependancy on nvidia-glx-something, but only, if you want vdpau support, you'll need to have libvdpau (& dev), which are currently available for karmic on ppa and will be on lucid in standard repositories Smile

BUT! Libvdpau will conflict with nvidia-185-libvdpau if you have it on your system and you are using glx drivers. I went through a whole thing trying to get this setup perfectly. I basically reverted all too nvidia-glx-185 removing all the rest in synaptic then rebooted, made sure 185 version was activated by running nvidia settings from the menu. Then I manually installed libvdapu1 and libvdpau-dev by --force-all from JY Avenards repo's - I use myth for my frontend as well. Then I was able to upgrade to glx-190 drivers and compile with xbmc enabled.

there is a whole bunch of issues with this on the web and the only way I could get them fixed was to do the above, the nvidia-ppa would not work for me.

Regards,

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
libvdpau 0.2 now a requirement for trunk builds?0