[WINDOWS] HOW-TO create a XBMC based HTPC, a Step-By-Step Startup Guide for N00bs
Thumbs Up 
Creating an XBMC HTPC (Windows 7 Edition)
Step-By-Step Walkthough with Checklist

Includes:
  • Creating_An_XBMC_HTPC_W7.pdf
  • MediaCenter.vbs (startup script)
  • keymap.xml (for Vista Certified MCE Remote)
  • playercorefactory.xml (MPC-HC for MKV)

Topics:
  • Choosing a Nettop
  • Choosing a Remote Control
  • Choosing a NAS Server
  • Installation/Configuration of XBMC
  • Installation/Configuration of MCE Remote
  • Installation/Configuration of EventGhost
  • Automating HTPC login & XBMC Startup
  • HD Playback with DXVA/CUDA
  • Installation/Configuration of MPC-HC
  • Configuring Shared Folders

I'm no expert, this is just a brain-dump from start to finish of my recent XBMC endeavor. Feedback is welcome and appreciated. The Microsoft Word template is available at request for changes and additions.

I hope someone finds this useful. Smile

XBMC-Basic-Setup-Guide-W7.zip

Cheers
Thanks for this, I'm sure many new starters will find it helpful.
A very nice tutorial.

I only miss a information of switch on/off nettop via remote and the using of suspend.

Regards
Zippolighter Wrote:A very nice tutorial.

I only miss a information of switch on/off nettop via remote and the using of suspend.

Regards

If you're using the Windows MCE remote, then feel free to use my keymap.xml file (included in the package). Powering off the nettop is currently mapped to the TV Power button.

I'm not sure about suspend... I've never tried that. I always use the remote to power off the nettop when I'm done using it.
As a new user, Thank You..
drbent Wrote:As a new user, Thank You..

It's my pleasure, really.

If you work through the checklist and want to make changes just let me know and I'll update it. I tried to accurately capture everything exactly as I did it while I was researching/building out my HTPC.
AssChin79 Wrote:It's my pleasure, really.

If you work through the checklist and want to make changes just let me know and I'll update it. I tried to accurately capture everything exactly as I did it while I was researching/building out my HTPC.
One thing i noticed right now. Rename XBOX Media Center to just XBMC, the real name is just XBMC.
But for everything else its looking sexy Tongue good job
Great PDF! Very nice. As for W7 and MCE, XBMC now works with MCE remotes out of the box. Only a few buttons don't work or register. For those, a simple registry change and/or changes to XBMC's keyboard.xml will work just fine without the need for EventGhost or the VBscript.
Just wanted to have a look. HD audio is not transmitted through SPDIF (optical or coaxial), by its most common definition, HD Audio is transmitted only through HDMI (or analog cabling but I don't think that's the spirit of what you were trying to write). Optical and coaxial cables don't have the required bandwidth for HD audio transmission.
Question 
great tutorial - would i be able to use it to set up a machine with windows vista?
Huh
Great job. Thank you so much.
Great guide for beginners!

I will be walking through it this weekend and post some recommended changes (if any) based on my first install.

Can anyone point me to a similar 'dummies' guide for installing plug-ins. I can't find one and I am having trouble.
Again... great job!

However, i experience funny bug (for me anyway).

When having the EventGhost running as adm. i experience following issues:

- my up, down, right and left skips menu options. Eg. in XBMC the selected options jumps from Scripts to Pictures over Weather.
- the same is happening in my explorer, MCE and Start Menu where it jumps over every second file, folder, icon and program.
- final, when accessing the eg. movie or picture section i'm being presented with ....., boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade - and not the normal DVD drive, Plugin, add source.

Pretty strange i think! :confused2:

When launching Event Ghost as normal I dont have this problem! However, the changes i have made in EventGhost first time (as adm) is NOT functioning when running EventGhost as normal.

Any experience the same or have good idea how to work around this? Smile
AssChin79,

"Just" to give you congratulations for the time spent doing this guide/tutorial for all the newbies community.

Great Great work!!!!

People like you are always welcome and very important!!!

Keep up!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO create a XBMC based HTPC, a Step-By-Step Startup Guide for N00bs1