IR dongle - anybody put it inside the case?
I am going to build my new HTPC to replace the aging XBox. I would like to get it working with remote (Harmony 659) so I was looking at the HP IR dongle. Did anybody disassemble the dongle and put it inside HTPC case? If not, is there any other IR dongle that would be small enough that I could tape it to lets say hole for audio-in jack? I am trying to build nice looking HTPC so less cables and boxes, the better.

Thanks.
I've mounted several XBox DVD dongles inside cases, most times you are able to remove the ir reciver from the circuity board and use cables to mount the ir reciver seperate from the board.

If you don't know what I mean, let me know and I'll post some pictures.
I did it in my Silverstone LC19 case. It had the hard drive LED located behind a plastic (semi clear) filled hole.
I installed the receiver there, leaving the plastic in the front panel unchanged. Sensitivity went down and would be a problem if I continued to use the original Rosewill remote. I use a Philips TSU7000 that has tons of punch so the slight drop in sensitivity isn't a problem.

BTW - the plastic light channel is a little over 1mm in diameter.
Thanks for replies.

TugboatBill: Are you referring to the HP IR receiver when you mentioned the diameter? Case for the HP receiver is pretty huge and I thought there are multiple receiver elements.

blittan: Please post pictures if you have them. I am handy with electronics but you know picture is worth 1000 words :-)
The good pictures seems to be lost, anyways see the attached picture.

"desolder" the legs from the circuit board (the red arrows) then extend it using cables. that way you can mount the "eye" seperate from the board and should solve space issues.
Thanks for the picture. I can definitely handle soldering few wires. Now, does this IR receiver work with Linux? I am a Mac guy so pretty much need plug and play option when it comes to Linux. I will be using XBMC Live.
drabina Wrote:Thanks for replies.

TugboatBill: Are you referring to the HP IR receiver when you mentioned the diameter? Case for the HP receiver is pretty huge and I thought there are multiple receiver elements.

The front panel of the LC19 has drilled hole that is filled with a semi clear plastic. That hole is ~1mm in diameter. I placed the USB receiver behind that. The USB receiver I used is the one that came with a Rosewill remote.
Not sure about the HP receiver but the xbox dongles I've used is just plug and play, working like a charm Smile
Thanks again guys.
I have already cracked open the Xbox IR dongle, but I have read in another thread that there is a delay when browsing videos with the Harmony Remotes. I am thinking of building and IR-boy USB and mount it inside of my Revo.

I am planning to drill a small hole just below the front angled USB port and mount the IR eye there. then connect a USB cable internally to make it all clean. I plan to make a guide for the install when I build this.
Let me know if you need any info, have mounted a few Smile

Next time I do an internal mount I will take some pics aswell
blittan Wrote:The good pictures seems to be lost, anyways see the attached picture.

"desolder" the legs from the circuit board (the red arrows) then extend it using cables. that way you can mount the "eye" seperate from the board and should solve space issues.

Great, just what i was looking for. Colors refering to usb "standard" or? EDIT: just found this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=474328&postcount=7
Pneumatic | SABnzbd | XBMC that just works - openelec
I have an dongle that converts from the xbox port to USB, which would allow me to plug my xbox IR reciever into a USB port on my HTPC. I'm running an XBMC Live distro, and my previous attempt to just plug and play obviously didn't work. Am I missing something? Is there a set of drivers I need to install, or will it not work due to the nature of the hookup I'm using?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR dongle - anybody put it inside the case?0