• 5(current)
Will the Boxee Box Remote work with XBMC (on any hardware other than the Boxee Box?)?
You can turn debug mode on in XBMC and get the key numbers by watching the XBMC log file. Forum admins/devs also randomly post key code descriptions in this thread for seemingly no reason Huh

But, I'm not sure the Boxee Remote is capable of sending keydowns, so it knows that you are holding a button down. When you press ALT or SYM on the remote, I don't think it actually sends anything to the host, like a normal keyboard would. This is a battery life feature, and I only personally know of one remote in existence that actually has keydown/keyup functionality.

You might have to resort to using an alternate key as a SHIFT modifier, that gets triggered by AutoHotKey. Maybe when you press and release the period key, the script holds down the SHIFT key for like 10 seconds automatically.

Unrelated note: I used XBMC at a friends house for a while yesterday, and it was bloody painful to be without my Boxee remote. Sad
I've you're using Ubuntu you need an updated X in order to stop it from rebooting XBMC:

Instructions here.
Sweet! Thanks for posting, and if you are Ken, thanks for the patches. I'm glad you found my keymap useful too Wink
Rannd Wrote:I just ordered the Boxee remote today from Amazon.

I'm not sure if it would be possible but.. lets say you are on the movies screen. It would be very awesome to simply type "S" and it would go to the first movie that started with S.

Or even better if you typed "Su" and started with the first movie that starts with "Su" and so on... very helpful for those of us who are closing in on a thousand movies Smile

Can't you just hold the shift key and type the letter you want to go to, just like with a "regular" keyboard? What, no shift key?! Sorry!
denzo Wrote:Can't you just hold the shift key and type the letter you want to go to, just like with a "regular" keyboard? What, no shift key?! Sorry!

No shift key, hence the reason it would be nice to remap a key on the Boxee keyboard to be a shift key
Im thinking about buying a Boxee Remote for my XBMC HTPC on a Zotac Mag (Running Ubuntu 9.10 and latest version of XBMC). Is the remote working on Ubuntu or is there problems Huh The problem affecting xorg, is it only with ubuntu 10.10 or I might encounter the same thing ?
I've entered several key IDs and commands into the keyboard.xml, but none of them make a difference. All I want to do is add a FullScreen toggle button to the Boxee remote, but I can't make it work. Anyone else have a seemingly useless keyboard.xml file?

Ubuntu 10.10, XBMC 10. My keyboard.xml is in the correct place...

Here's the line of code I'm using:
<key id="61628">FullScreen</key>

That's the comma / forward slash key on the Boxee remote. Thanks guys
spacebrew Wrote:I've entered several key IDs and commands into the keyboard.xml, but none of them make a difference. All I want to do is add a FullScreen toggle button to the Boxee remote, but I can't make it work. Anyone else have a seemingly useless keyboard.xml file?

Ubuntu 10.10, XBMC 10. My keyboard.xml is in the correct place...

Here's the line of code I'm using:
<key id="61628">FullScreen</key>

That's the comma / forward slash key on the Boxee remote. Thanks guys
The command you chose appears to not work. I pasted your line in my file, changed to toggle and it works fine on Win32 with my Boxee remote.

<key id="61628">ToggleFullScreen</key>

When remapping, be sure to check the debug log to see what command the XBMC devs used for the original key Wink
I'm considering this remote for my new XBMC that I'm building and have a question. Are you guys using EventGhost in order to use this remote? Or are you using something else? Sorry if I'm a noob about XBMC and remotes Smile

Also, do you need to run something like EventGhost in order to use the Microsoft MCE Remote w/ IR Receiver?
No extra utilities needed on Win32. I have no clue with other remotes.
AaronCompNetSys Wrote:No extra utilities needed on Win32. I have no clue with other remotes.

Good to know. Sounds like a great remote.
Hi,

does anyone know a reliable UK reseller for this remote?
sprite1 Wrote:Hi,

does anyone know a reliable UK reseller for this remote?

Amazon doesn't ship to the UK?
AaronCompNetSys Wrote:The command you chose appears to not work. I pasted your line in my file, changed to toggle and it works fine on Win32 with my Boxee remote.

<key id="61628">ToggleFullScreen</key>

When remapping, be sure to check the debug log to see what command the XBMC devs used for the original key Wink

Yeah that's how I got that one. I think I checked a forum somewhere to get the command it should be sending though. I'll try adding "toggle" to it when I get home. Thank you for your response.
Is there a list of keys and commands I can use for my xml file?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will the Boxee Box Remote work with XBMC (on any hardware other than the Boxee Box?)?0