[LIVE] Mounting hard drives on USB system
Hi Guys,

First off, please read this post carefully because (I hope) this isn't a daft question as I've already tried LOTS to fix this.

I have installed XBMC 9.11 to a 2Gb USB pen drive and booted from it perfectly well.

I cannot get the internal HDD's to mount at all.

I know I'm supposed to remove the 'nodiskmount' tokens from the menu.lst file and this is where my problem lies; I cannot access the file!

The pen drive isn't recognised at all on a Windows system (presumably due to the file system used) so I downloaded both the Knoppix and Ubuntu live cd's to use.

With the live ubuntu/knoppix booted up I plugged in the pen drive and successfully browsed to the menu.lst file and opened it.

The problem now is that I cannot save any changes to the file! The pen drive is read only! I've done the obvious and changed the permissions of the pen drive root directory to read/write/execute but this does NOT work!

I also tried to change the permissions of just the menu.lst file but this does not work either.

HELP!

I've tried 'exiting' XBMC once it has booted and using the ubuntu console but I do not know how to (or if it is even possible) to modify the menu.lst file this way. I'm not familiar with Linux commands but I am computer savvy and am a fast learner.

Cheers for any help you can offer.
Doggeh

P.S. I've had to go back to my old version of XBMC for the time being because Windows can read that pen drive just fine thus making file alterations easy!
bump...

Anybody? Please...!
did you create a persistent storage file when installing? you should have been prompted to specify the desired file size during the install.

boot the XBMC live flash and then log into the systems terminal and type the command:

mount

and paste the output here. also, pastebin your xbmc.log file, such as it is.
I was not prompted in any of the previous installations to create a persistent storage file. I'm using the "Guided - full disk" option to partition my pen drive if that is relevant.

I'm doing a complete reinstall now to see if I've missed something somewhere.

Will post again when done.

Cheers
Okay I've done a fresh install. Definitely NO persistent storage file created or prompted for.

I did....

Install XBMC (in live CD menu) > Partitioning: "Guided - Use Full Disk" > Chose my USB pen drive > installer ran and copied files

At the end of the installer it ran "Remove Broken CDrom" and "copyRestricted" which both struck me as unusual processes???

Logged in to console and typed "mount" as requested and it says....

/dev/sdc1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusect1 (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
non on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)

P.S. - I cannot find an xbmc.log file ANYWHERE!? Perhaps because it installs the pen drive as read only?

Cheers for your help so far

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Mounting hard drives on USB system0