minimum specs for xmbc
I have a couple of older computers that I wanted to see if I can turn into a xmbc box. Both have windows xp but I can install linux if needed. The computer will be connected wireless to the internet. I do not need HD. I just want to be able to stream videos and maybe use the computer as a dvr as well. Will either of the computers below work?

eMachines T3410
- AMD Sempron 3400+ 2.0GHz
- 256MB Ram (2 memory slots with 2 gb total max PC3200
- CDRW/DVD
- 160 GB HD
- nvidia geforce 6100

Dimension 1100
-Celeron D 2.53 GHz
- 768MB Ram (2 memory slots with 2 gb total max (PC3200 – PC2100))
- CD/DVD
- 80GB HD
- Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2
The first machine is pretty low on RAM but it should be able to at least run XBMC. However the CPU is not powerful enough for HD playback (well maybe some 720p if you are lucky) and the GPU can't help you either. Maybe add some RAM from the second machine to try if XBMC can work for you.

For the second machine, I couldn't find good specs for the integrated GPU. I guess that the GPU is not powerful enough for XBMC and might not even support the OpenGL/DirectX version necessary to run XBMC. The CPU - again - is too slow for HD decoding while some 720p stuff should work.

If you want to do a testrun with the LiveCD I strongly recommend putting as much of the available RAM into one of the machines as possible. My guess is that the first one might work for your SD playback needs. DVR is another issue since XBMC currently doesn't include DVR functionality.
xbmc will playback non hd content on the old xbox... thats a 700 mghz celeron and 64mb of RAM.

Of course, the best way to find out is to just try it, but I think you'll be fine.

Never hurts to add some more RAM though. And PC3200 should be dirt cheap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
minimum specs for xmbc0