squashfs and nvidia blob in xbmc live
hi, I tried to customize my own ubuntu live cd with casper and the boottoram wiki and it worked for all but the nvidia driver, I want to run a customized xbmc squashfs. How did you install the nvidia driver? there is a nvidia.ext3 on the cd I think it contains the driver, but I have no idea how those two things are connected. To create my initrd I usually altered /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/casper but there is live only, why is that? Can I somehow use this howto: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootToRAM with the livecd?
I think the nvidia.ext3 could be mounted as a ext3 filesystem. Have you tried this?
I was able to mount and rsync the files, there is a /lib a /usr and a /lost+found folder in it. The more important question is: how are those folders added to the squashfs at bootup? What file in filesystem.squashfs was altered? In which way?
derechteversus Wrote:I was able to mount and rsync the files, there is a /lib a /usr and a /lost+found folder in it. The more important question is: how are those folders added to the squashfs at bootup? What file in filesystem.squashfs was altered? In which way?

The reference to those files is not within the filesystem.sqashfs but I believe in the menu.lst (grub directory) on the cd itself.
thanks for the advice, Ill have a look at menu.lst

Doesnt initrd need to be specially altered too? As it would use xf86-video-nv normally but needs to know that there is the 190.53 nvidia driver?
derechteversus Wrote:thanks for the advice, Ill have a look at menu.lst

Doesnt initrd need to be specially altered too? As it would use xf86-video-nv normally but needs to know that there is the 190.53 nvidia driver?

I worked on quite the similar thing. I removed the amd.ext3 for example and deleted the entries from the menu.lst. Mine shows only the Nvidia related stuff.

For the xf86-video-nv drivers. There are incorporated into the 2.6.31 kernel. I you like to alter them I suggest to install a later version of the kernel.
I had a look at menu.lst, which doesnt mention /live/restricted.drivers/nvidia.ext3, which means after booting the kernel, something (I reckon the initrd) tells the kernel to look for the nvidia modules in nvidia.ext3
Id like to find out how this is done: doesnt nvidia.ext3 need to be mounted first? if so, arent there any symlinks, that need to be created for the kernel to find the modules?

If all this is indeed stored in initrd, I got a problem, as I want to use mkinitramfs to add the boot option toram (which works perfectly for a plane karmic squashfs)

I am not interested in xf86-video-nv it was just meant to be an example to express my thoughts about the things stated above

mfg
versus

Edit:
the livecd supports toram without any changes, thats why I stopped to get more into this

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
squashfs and nvidia blob in xbmc live0