Unable to select skin
And yet it still can be because of files... On every multiuser platforms there has to be some scheme to both, let certain users to hassle with files and, prohibit certain users to hassle with files. In Windows we have ACL and on unix side, I quess we just call them file permissions. Or at least lets call them that now. On both systems, if you create a file/directory as "root" user, most likely creator and owner of the file/directory is "root". And that is why user could have hard time to write to those locations. On windows on the other hand Access Control List can be inherited to the subdirectories, so no matter who creates the files, the might in future belong to the "owner" of original directory. Both Windows and *nix world also prohibit user to write to another user's "home" or as it goes in Windows %SystemRoot%\Users\[username], or %SystemRoot%\Docume.... Well, you must get the idea by now. But if and only if rights are configured wrong, it can be done and then I would wish best luck with malware or malicious users.

It is not user's fault that these concepts are not always known, but instead modern Linux distributions and Windows (and even OSX) make a good work at hiding this information from user. On the one hand it makes learning curve less steep, but on another it also makes these platforms very vulnerable for attacs, if systems are not configured correct. I've seen way too many "tutorials" that explain users how to change system so that normal user accounts can run commands meant for only root access. This is true with especially Ubuntu and I'm waiting for worm epidemics...

So. Just open terminal and perform command "ls -la" in previously directories defined in previous posts. If you dont know how to travel in directories, read some tutorial on "bash" shell.

from ls man page:
Code:
NAME
       ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
       ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

-a, --all
          do not ignore entries starting with .

-l     use a long listing format

-l shows also information about author. Another option you might use on other occasions is -h (human readable)

Edit:

Here is a brief howto concerning Linux File Permissions
14 posts ! guessing wildely around in the dark.

Original poster:
Please read the how to post about a problem in my signature.
Then post a debug log file of a session where you boot your xbmc and try to switch skins.

If not we are going fast nowhere here !!!
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Hmm, is this what you are looking for? http://pastebin.com/m694b7425

I cycled through all the skins in that instance. Hopefully this problem, whatever it may be, can be fixed.
Code:
NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: GNU/Linux.  Built on Dec 24 2009 (SVN:26018)
NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: /usr/share/xbmc
NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /home/x/.xbmc/userdata
NOTICE: special://home/ is mapped to: /home/x/.xbmc
NOTICE: special://temp/ is mapped to: /home/x/.xbmc/temp
NOTICE: The executable running is: /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
NOTICE: Log File is located: /home/x/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

this log only shows xbmc looking at the Confluence skin in special://xbmc/skin

that's the default location for skins on the system. are you placing your skins in that directory (which is mapped to /usr/share/xbmc/skin)? or are you putting them in /home/x/.xbmc/skin? which is where additional skins should be placed. wherever you're putting them, we need to see the output of a recursive, long listing (ls -alR > skin_list.txt) and the output of pwd (pwd > pwd.txt).

lastly, did you enable debugging in the GUI or by modifying advancedsettings.xml?
Smile 
Hi all,

I just wanted to share what I found with you guys. It´s kind of messy, so I´ll do my best to explain.

I was having the same problem as xecutionx and I noticed that when you try to change your skin in XBMC, it says: 'We require skins of version 2,10 or higher' (Note that it is actually using a comma and not a dot)

If I go to /home/username/.XBMC/skin/skinname/ there is a file named skin.xml in which there is a line stating the version, like this:

<version>2.11</version>

If I change that to:

<version>2,11</version>

XBMC will let me select and load my skin (I tried Aeon ShowMix and Transparency!). Downside is that when I exit XBMC, it will not fire up again.

If I go back to skin.xml and replace the comma for a dot again, it will.

So my point is: XBMC will load my selected skin (as it fires up) as long as it shows 2.11 in the field <version></version> in the skin.xml file, but it will only let me change my skin in Settings-->Appearance if it shows 2,11 in the <version></version> field.

Here´s some info you might find helpful:

- Linux Distribution and Version: Ubuntu 9.10 up to date as of Jan 10 2010 (Kernel 2.6.31-17 generic)
- Architecture i686
- Install Method: PPA
- SVN Revision: XBMC PRE-10.5 r26540 (Compiled Jan 8 2010)
- FULL Debug Log: http://pastesite.com/12875

Please, do note lines 247 and 248 when it loads the default skin (made a copy of Confluence to userdata, but does the same with the one in /usr/share/xbmc/skin/Confluence/)

22:09:56 T:3077662608 M:1361391616 INFO: Checking skin version of: Confluence-mod
22:09:56 T:3077662608 M:1361391616 INFO: Skin version is: 2.11 (2.110000)

And the note the lines 544 and 545 when XBMC tries to load the skin from Settings --> Appearance.

544 22:10:07 T:3077662608 M:1345396736 DEBUG: OnKey: 61453 pressed, action is 7
545 22:10:07 T:3077662608 M:1345396736 INFO: Skin version is: 2.11 (2,000000)

I hope this is of any help. Thank you for reading my loooong post. Big Grin
jandrucu Wrote:'We require skins of version 2,10 or higher' (Note that it is actually using a comma and not a dot)

I actually get a dot.
Which goofy ass locales are you guys using?
althekiller Wrote:Which goofy ass locales are you guys using?

What? What information do you need?
Type "locale" in terminal and pastebin the output.

I personally would bet that it is the "setlocale()" not working correctly problem again (does that get overriden somewhere maybe?). I have this problem on ubuntu, where it doesn't seem to work and I still have the projectM not working problem. As a workaround try editing your /usr/bin/xbmc script and adding an "export LC_NUMERIC=C" somewhere before the call to the xbmc binary.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Here you go:

http://pastebin.com/m73bd0d4a

And Clumsy, I have no clue how to do the second part of your post.
BUMP

I apologize for my impatience.
BUMP again. I tried messing around some more to no avail. This is really crippling my XBMC experience.
So at this point I might as well give up and install it on Windows? I don't even think that 7 supports gfx card acceleration for content yet.
I had this same problem awhile back, however the issue was that the skins were copied to /home/xbmc/xbmc/skin when it SHOULD have been
/home/xbmc/.xbmc/skin.

Once I moved them to the ".xbmc/skin" path it worked like a champ!
Clumsy Wrote:Type "locale" in terminal and pastebin the output.

I personally would bet that it is the "setlocale()" not working correctly problem again (does that get overriden somewhere maybe?). I have this problem on ubuntu, where it doesn't seem to work and I still have the projectM not working problem. As a workaround try editing your /usr/bin/xbmc script and adding an "export LC_NUMERIC=C" somewhere before the call to the xbmc binary.

Worked like a charm!!! Thank you very much Clumsy!

@xecutionx:
Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal
Type locale
See the output to see if there is something wrong (Mine tells me I´m using the spanish locale, which is correct) --> http://pastebin.com/m1c070d0d
Now type sudo gedit /usr/bin/xbmc
Enter your user's password
This should open a text document (the script that fires up xbmc) and you should add a line in it. I added it close to the end of the document, like this (the highlited line):

http://pastebin.com/m727d7ec7

And fire up xbmc, skins should work if you have them in the right place (/home/<username>/.xbmc/skin)

P.S.: Sorry for taking so long to answer, but I was on vacation... Big Grin Hope this helps anyone!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to select skin0