[Live] XBMC on USB ds'nt see my internal HDD
Hiya,

I have the latest xbmc live distribution installed on a 4 gb usb stick. My system is the Asrock ION 330 HT with an internal 320 gb 2,5 inch hdd.

This harddisk has windows 7 on the c partition (20 GB), and has an e:\ partition that has 300 Gb of free space. I used grub's menu.lst to install dual boot and so far its working fine. The hdd uses NTFS btw.

How can i put media on the internal hdd (e Partition) which my xbmc live installation can see? It can see my network drives, my usb drives my smb shares of my other pc's, but not the internal hdd. Anyone got an idea?
Or is this just not possible?

Thx in advance!
Hello,

Have the smae problem.
Also would like to add my ntfs partition in xbmc but how.....
me too... same problem, anyone found a fix yet?
I'm quite sure that if you didn't get a response yet is because it is easy to find in the forum.

Anyway. I think I noticed the same problem you all mentioned. Didn't got into it because I was trying to get sound and wireless working first, and also because I don't have any media in the internal drive.

I think the problem might be related to how grub maps the disks (the usb and the internal) for the os (linux in case of XBMCLive) it is going to boot.
So probably the internal disk is hidden or misplaced...

I'm not an expert on linux and I still have no much help for you. Right now it's 2am so I'm not getting into it... But I promise tomorrow I'll give it a try and post my findings.

In the mean time I suggest you to make deeper searches... and if anyone finds something just post it here. If you opened the post you are responsible to close it when it's solved. Wink

Jur.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

Hi there.

Ok, this is what I've found for now.

I don't know why xbmc_live doesn't mount the internal hard drive partitions automatically. But those partitions are present and accessible.

All you have to do is enter a terminal window (pressing Cntrl-Alt-F1) and login into linux.

In XBMC_Live there is a standard user/password of xbmc/xbmc but if you installed the LiveCD to a HDD or a USB Stick using the given option in the boot menu of the XBMC_Live image then you probably have one user you created for yourself. Use that one.

For other user/password related problems, please don't post here. Try finding help using the search in the forum.

Once you've logged in you can check the mounted disks with df:
In my HP Pavilion dv6 with XBMC_Live Installed to a USB Disk I get this answer:

Quote:jurrabi@XBMCLive:~$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb2 3589456 1205148 2201972 36% /
udev 1805600 320 1805280 1% /dev
none 1805600 24 1805576 1% /dev/shm
none 1805600 60 1805540 1% /var/run
none 1805600 0 1805600 0% /var/lock
none 1805600 0 1805600 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sdb1 478499584 4287904 474211680 1% /media/JURIOM500GB

There you can se I have a hardisk (sdb) with 2 partitions mounted.
/dev/sdb2 mounted on / where I have isntalled XBMCLive
/dev/sdb1 a fat32 partition that takes most of my usb disk where I store Media and other bootable images...

But no trace of my internal HD.

with a ls command in the dev directory we can see if the HD is in fact accessible:

Quote:jurrabi@XBMCLive:~$ ls /dev/sd??
/dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdb3

As you can see here I get 2 disks:
/dev/sda (with 4 partitions sda1-4) and the already know /dev/sdb...

The 4 partitios of my internal disk correspond to the factory default from HP. Partitios 1, 3 and 4 are for recovery purposes and I'm not interested in them. Partition 2 stores my windows 7 system and all it's files...

So I can access the disk. I just need to mount it.

for that I create a directory in the /media (where XBMC mounts all USBs I plugin)

Quote:jurrabi@XBMCLive:~$ sudo mkdir /media/sda2
[sudo] password for jurrabi:
It asks for my password because I want to create the directory with root (superuser) privileges (the sudo command does that).

Now I try to mount:
Quote:jurrabi@XBMCLive:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/sda2
jurrabi@XBMCLive:~$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb2 3589456 1204784 2202336 36% /
udev 1805600 320 1805280 1% /dev
none 1805600 24 1805576 1% /dev/shm
none 1805600 60 1805540 1% /var/run
none 1805600 0 1805600 0% /var/lock
none 1805600 0 1805600 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sdb1 478499584 4287904 474211680 1% /media/JURIOM500GB
/dev/sda2 474239996 89313724 384926272 19% /media/sda2
And voila! The disk is mounted and can be accessed from XBMC.

To test that just return to XBMC (Press Cntrl-Alt-F7) and go to videos->Add source: path: /media/sda2 Name: Internal Disk (or what ever you want)

and voila!

Now, to make this permanent, you have to add the info of your mount points in the /etc/fstab file with the command
Quote:sudo nano /etc/fstab

I cannot give you details on how to do that, because you have to specify details about the partition type (NTFS, vfat, etc) and I don't remember right know how it works. Also I'm not interested in doing that because my installation is used in several different PCs...
If you want to know more how to modify fstab just google "help fstab"

Hope this was helpful.

Best regards,

Jur.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.

Try to search before: FAQ
Much better...

Forget about editing fstab. Just change your grub configuration (acording to the link given by l.capriotti) and you'll be good to go...

Thank you for this information, somwhat lkate response but it helped me a lot!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] XBMC on USB ds'nt see my internal HDD0