Help me build one kick a$$ HTPC...
I'll try to answer some of your questions, I haven't used an ION based system before so someone else can cover those. There are also other dedicated threads to this.

2. They can be VERY noisy depending on what you pick. If you do go this route make sure you read reviews that have a noise section to them. Something like the new ATI 5770/5750 are cool and fairly quiet. I don't have much experience with NVIDIA lately. If it is just for XBMC you can find passively cooled GPUs that would work.

3. I have an athlon 64 4800+ which is fairly old. I can watch movies in XBMC and have another session running with torrents and notice no slowdowns. I think something like E5300 would handle some modest background tasks.

5. If you want the graphics card just for VDPAU then that would be overkill. A fairly modest card can accelerate 1080p i believe.

6. I've never run into any of these issues. I guess it depends on your source.

7. I've run it on both. XP worked perfectly. 7 had some issues with an old audigy sound card but that's about it.

8. I use a MCE remote and it works really well. A bit of setup with event ghost but after that it is working flawlessly. Haven't used a harmony however. Always seemed like a fair amount of work to set up.
Rrrr... I did a little research on the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 and a few users say the card is very quiet. I think that is the card I am going with. Its a little pricy $170 but it will be able to handle anything I throw at it. Overkill for the HTPC but great reviews and will be good for my gaming.
X3lectric Wrote:lol

I dont celebrate x'mas but Im not the one in need of chillin, its freaking freezing down here. I have an idea why dont I make this my last post on this useless topic

The best news I've heard so far today.

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh
Now... what mobo to choose. I was thinking about the Intel G43 but it will only support up to 4 gigs of ram, It has 6 sata ports but no raid setup. Remember I am really trying to overkill this thing so even tho I may only run 4 gig... I want it to support 8 and having a raid setup would be great.

Then there is the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo... one bad mama-jama.

Anyone had any experience with one of these or reccomend a great mobo?
many thanks for the detailed answers
X3lectric Wrote:I guess I found the post where some ppl have no idea what a htpc idea is supposed to be... I suppose you all have way too much money to burn and little common sense. Though having said that hell you can use a massibve PC as an HTPC if you really wanna overkill... Gabbot seems like the only sensible person here excluding me since I have the right equipment for the job all else is overkill.

So does that mean you will share your equipment list with us? Wink

I am using the following:

-Intel P4 2.6;
-Intel MOBO;
-1 GB RAM;
-Sapphire 1650 Pro AGP 512 MB Video;
-SB Audigy LS;
-Win XP Media Center;
-MS Media Remote receiver;
-Harmony 550;
-Crappy beige mid-sized tower (seeking black slim desktop;
-Streaming from DLink 321 NAS with two 1.5 TB HDD;

Life is good streaming my DVD rips, but I haven't tried streaming any Blu-Ray rips yet as I have none.

So the specs are pretty low and as others have mentioned anything much more would be overkill.

My only question is what audio output I should use on my sound card for the best audio performance sent to my Yamaha HT Amp. I currently have an analogue 1/8" sub-mini stereo jack coming from my sound card split into two RCA audio plugs going into my HT Amp. Is there any advantage to using the SPDIF plug? If so what input on the amp should I hook it up too (Digital coaxial??)
Cheers.
ok here is what I have so far... and I LOVE IT... it is screaming fast and so far no issues. I havent gamed on it yet, so I will keep you posted.

- OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

- GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

- Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified

- nMEDIAPC PRO-LCD Media Center Programmable LCD

- nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Steel HTPC 2000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

- WD 1TB Hard Drive

- Raedon 4650 HDMI with 7.1 surround sound.

- Intel Core 2 quad core 8200s

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me build one kick a$$ HTPC...0