Auto-mounting USB drives in a minimal install of Ubuntu for XBMC
Well I have another problem, I can't change the completed downloads folder to the one i created in sabnzb:

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the owner of that folder is 'root' and not 'xbmc'?

I can not change the permissions or owner through winscp though...
is this thread still on topic or not? Wink
coendeurloo Wrote:..nd make it unpack to the external drive (which is the fastest method I think).

Ahh, there you go - it was all down to a hostname problem (something to do with a setup between your NAS device and your router). Using your NAS drive's IP address is no issue at all, so long as you don't change it. Well done for figuring our something I should have thought of - but hey, it's taught you a lot about Linux and learning by doing is always best imho - that's how I learnt about Linux.

As far as your problem creating the folder in your NAS drive mounted on your device....hmm, have you tried creating it in a pre-existing folder on the NAS drive? You are right, it is down to permission errors and is most likely due to the options set out in your /etc/fstab - however, I only know about the options I chose, and not others...

A hacky way to try is by unmounting the drive (we unmount it first so we don't end up changing the ownership of all the folders on the NAS):

sudo umount /home/xbmc/nas

Then change the ownership of the nas folder:

sudo chown xbmc:xbmc /home/xbmc/nas

Then remount the drive:

sudo mount -a

You can also try changing permission on the drive using:

sudo chmod a+rw /home/xbmc/nas

(this means a=all users , +=add, rw=read write permission)

Once again, make sure you do this AFTER you have unmounted the NAS drive so you don't mess permissions on the NAS drive. If these don't work then I am afraid I am outta options, the solution is probobly changing the options in the way the drive is mounted in /etc/fstab and I don't know the details....
vikjon0 Wrote:is this thread still on topic or not? Wink

Well, I started it, so....as it's Daddy, I don't mind Wink

But good point. I'd suggest if my suggestions don't work, create a new post about it.
prupert Wrote:Once again, make sure you do this AFTER you have unmounted the NAS drive so you don't mess permissions on the NAS drive. If these don't work then I am afraid I am outta options, the solution is probobly changing the options in the way the drive is mounted in /etc/fstab and I don't know the details....

Thanks Prupert, the folder changes fine when it is unmounted, but when it is mounted again, the owner changes back to 'root' unfortunatly.

It's strange, because when I'm using Webmin's file manager, I can copy and paste files back and forth between the mounted folder without any problem.
Smile 
Hey, just wanted to thank you guys for this guide...even though i'm a complete Linux noob, I was able to mount my external disc using this method. Thanks again Smile
dankerschen Wrote:Hey, just wanted to thank you guys for this guide...even though i'm a complete Linux noob, I was able to mount my external disc using this method. Thanks again Smile

Cool, glad to hear we have all helped Wink
HaZee Wrote:I use XBMC Live, upgraded everything yesterday (apt-get update / upgrade) and now automount is not working anymore. I do have devkit-disks installed and I can mount at boottime as described above.

What to do or what to check to activate the automounting of mu USB harddisk?

(BTW i'm still a linux noob Big Grin)

The same has happend to me!
I had updated from XBMC Live 9.11 (wich usb automounting worked fine) to XBMC 10.0.
After that the "Automount " has stopped working
Can someone help-me ?
same problem at me. After upgrade from 9.11 to 10.0 usb automount not working.
Here is a log file :
http://pastebin.com/v5mXFHJg

Is there any working solution ?

Alda
lcarlin Wrote:The same has happend to me!
I had updated from XBMC Live 9.11 (wich usb automounting worked fine) to XBMC 10.0.
After that the "Automount " has stopped working
Can someone help-me ?

I Just have finished to rollback to 9.11 and everything is work Fine.
I didn´t have a good experience with 10.0:
- HDMI Audio doesn´t work
- IrDa Remote controler MCE doesn't work too.
AFter downgrading to 9.11 ( with full-formating) everything is fine Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto-mounting USB drives in a minimal install of Ubuntu for XBMC0