Total noob needs help to see internal harddrives
OK so i am totalt noob and on top of that i am dyslexic so i am not 100% i have done it all right

I wanted to create a usb version so my wife can easily load up xbmc on my pv and have full axs to my media files so i have installed it to usb (not 100% it done right)

After about 30mins of it installing to the usb thumb i rebooted the pc and woohoo it loaded up xbmc from the usb but when i went to add the folders from my computers hard drives but i was unable to find the hard drives to select the folders i wanted to

PLease can you exaplin what i need to do make it axs my hard drives here is the set up

Windows xp (i know its old but it still gives me the best performance for my mmorpg, i have 6 hard drives installed but non are booted from as the usb is set as the firt boot device.

I am un sure if i have installed correctly to the usb in the first place or if i need to edit some files on the usb to enable it to let me axs the pc hard drives

If i have not given you enough information i will happly try to post what ever information you need but i have ZERO knowlegde of linux so i will unfortualy need an idiots guide on how to supply anything you need

THank you for your time and comments in advance
Here is the post I wrote:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=470949
Odds are those 6 harddrives aren't mounted under linux.
Get to a commandline on the linux box, and print us the result of the mount command.

It should look something along these lines:
Code:
user@host:~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/data2 type ext4 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/data1 type ext4 (rw)

Now assuming the issue is that the disks aren't mounted, we'll need to know if your disks are formatted as FAT32 and NTFS.
ASRock ION 330, Lucid Lynx, XBMC Dharma (beta 2)
Thank you for the reply but i am unable to ftp or putty as i am booting from the same pc as xbmc.

I tried to axs the usb in wondows xp to edit the file as u suggested in your post but it was asking me to format the usb
roark Wrote:Here is the post I wrote:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=470949
Oh wait, disregard my post above this, if the quoted post here provides the solution.

Specifically check the posts last paragraph about "Shorten Boot wait time and allow diskmount (ability to see the Acer HD)"
Mission Wrote:Thank you for the reply but i am unable to ftp or putty as i am booting from the same pc as xbmc.

I tried to axs the usb in wondows xp to edit the file as u suggested in your post but it was asking me to format the usb
Then you're going to have to do it directly in the command terminal. Press CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to a command terminal (you can switch back by pressing CTRL+ALT+F8).

Log onto the linux installation with your username and password.
Follow these steps:
1) Type sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst <press enter>
2) Scroll down the file and look for a section that isn't commented and has lines labelled "title", "uuid", "kernel", "initrd" etc., the first "title" line should be the option you see in the grub menu.
3) On that section scroll along the "kernel" line and remove the "nodiskmount" option including the comma.
4) Press CTRL+X and press y to confirm saving the file.

Issue the command sudo shutdown -r now to reboot the system.

Credits for step 2+3 goes to roark from his post at (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=464...stcount=15)
Thank you all so much the solotion was exaclty as you said i just had no idea how to axs the command line or what to do but i can now axs all my hard drives

Thank you all once again for your time

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Total noob needs help to see internal harddrives0