[Request] Now playing Box
Kinda like what Xperience has.

Not sure if anyone else thinks this is a good idea, but I'd like to see something like it.
Uhhh would this be like a box say oh idk in the bottom left hand corner with possibly text showing what's currently playing and the title of it? lol

Because it already exists.
It already exists... still, so many times it shows so late to be not useful at all:

Best case is video streaming: where server is slow, user gets left alone with no feedback for many seconds, ("Did I press the button ?") before the box gets displayed (if ever)

s this XBMC prerogative, or a skin may control/"fix" it ?
The now playing delay was put in place for users who were bitching that it came up before movies started on their crap networks and system hardware.
Can't win.
the now playing box in xperience allows you to stop, pause, choose next or previous. for people who are using limited control options such as an apple remote, it's cumbersome to edit the now playing media. i guess that's what I'm asking for. obviously the now playing box in the corner shows what's currently playing.
Pressing 'm' brings up the control menu.
I use xbmc on my MBP on a second display as a "TV" of sorts for my bedroom using the Apple Remote.

Looking around at forums and such, this seems to be a pretty common usage for XBMC.

I really love the Alaska Revisited Mod Theme. Fantastic. EXCEPT.

I go to Music. I navigate to a song I want (using the Apple Remote).
I click the song. It starts playing. Wait that wasn't the track I wanted. I need to stop it.
Up? Nope. Down? Nope? Left? that's my view options menu. no luck there...
Right? Now I can scroll faster through my music, which is nice, but I just want to stop the currently playing track.

I try everything I can try... pressing Menu, play/pause, all the directions, in almost every level of the menu from the top to the song list I was working from... nothing can stop the music or change the volume at this point.

Finally I give up, and sit down at the computer to google this very problem. As I'm googling and reading forums entries... about halfway through the song... the screen changes to a "now playing" type of screen. Which allows me to stop the track and change the volume.

Is just kinda waiting for that screen the ONLY option for a person using Apple Remote who wants to stop the track or change the volume?
If the Apple Remote doesn't have a STOP button then it's not really designed to control a Media Centre in my eyes.
I should have been more specific... I was looking to pause the track... but the pause button on the Apple Remote does not pause the track...

As an aside, I have found many skins do not provide the basic functionality of controlling the current track aside from doing nothing for about a minute and letting some kind of "now playing" type screen take over. I have tried three skins with no success. Confluence/MediaStream Redux seems to be the only one where accessing the "view options" menu also brings up track controls, a very basic and helpful feature to have.

Trouble is most other skins have a much better look to them.

Trying to weigh the look vs. basic functionality.
Without trying to sound mean we do provide the 'basic functionality' for controlling all aspects of XBMC. In this case it's the 'Player Controls' menu (accessed by pressing 'm' on the keyboard or the relevant button on your remote) but again we can't be expected to design our skins around one, limited remote control.

EDIT: The screen you're talking about is the visualisation screen which can be accessed by pressing TAB at anytime.
I thought pressing the first time "play" starts playing the track, second press will pause it. So the play button is play/pause.
drewplaysdrums Wrote:As an aside, I have found many skins do not provide the basic functionality of controlling the current track aside from doing nothing for about a minute and letting some kind of "now playing" type screen take over. I have tried three skins with no success. Confluence/MediaStream Redux seems to be the only one where accessing the "view options" menu also brings up track controls, a very basic and helpful feature to have.

Trouble is most other skins have a much better look to them.

Trying to weigh the look vs. basic functionality.

As an aside, I've found that many new users do not take the time to a) search and b) read some basic wikis or other helpful threads. Rolleyes

Try holding the Play button for the OSD to appear.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Glo...ple_Remote

That should cover how to get the best use out of your remote in all skins.
-stoli-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Request] Now playing Box0