[LINUX] How do I complile Broadcom Crystal HD driver on Ubuntu Karmic?
As mentioned I have issues with the performance when using SMB sources in XBMC. CPU Load increases and the video stutters and in case of MP4 shows many dropped frames. Therefore I mounted the shares via NFS and the performance is much better then with SMB. CPU load seems to be even lower than when using a local attached SATA drive (ok its only an old 160Gb SATA-1 drive) but this solves at least my current performance problems.
davilla Wrote:how about a full xbmc.log, use http://www.pastebin.com

i didn't have it now but i'm sure it appen when i press Up Arrow, i can post it later
yesterday svn drop the cpu usage from 100% to 30/40% but the framerate is low <20 (720p are almost playable with software)
HTPC: Zotac ION 330 on Linux Gentoo/Ubuntu BD Remote (bdremote-ng) 20x4 USB LCD
davilla Wrote:how about a full xbmc.log, use http://www.pastebin.com

i didn't have it now but i'm sure it appen when i press Up Arrow, i can post it later
in the yesterday svn the cpu usage is dropped down from 100% to 30/40% but the framerate is low <20 (720p are almost perfect with software render)
HTPC: Zotac ION 330 on Linux Gentoo/Ubuntu BD Remote (bdremote-ng) 20x4 USB LCD
I have here a set of h.264 codec movies in different containers with bit-rates from 1 to 20Mbps. They all regularly jump, when I press O I see only approx 20fps and every seconds he drops between 3 to 4 frames. So it looks like he plays 20 frames in one second and then jumps to catch up with the movie. Audio is perfect. CPU Load is between 40 to 55% on my D945GSEJT. I'm using SVN Revision 27549.
Hi,

I tried to test CrystalHD with Ubuntu Karmic and I had no problems compiling. However, I tested playing IPTV udp h.264 streams and the image has a lot of problemas, full of horizontal white lines and the performance is not that good, despite the CPU usage being low. I didn't test it yet with 1080p h.264 files.
Anyone IPTV udp streams on CrystalHD with success?

Thanks

EDIT: I tried with the 1080p Avatar trailer and it played quite ok! Around 50% CPU in my Atom N270 with Intel 945GME. Audio is well synced. I notice a bit of tearing but I don't know if it is due to some X configuration.
Shouldn't xbmc also decode HD-wmv files over the decoder chip? I've tried the ubuntu ppa build yesterday and today an fresh checkout of xbmc on gentoo and both versions only decode h246 with help of the broadcom card. But as far as I can see inside the code there should be support for wmv. Am I doing something wrong?

But I must say that the h264 support works very well so far, far better than I've expected.
djselbeck Wrote:Shouldn't xbmc also decode HD-wmv files over the decoder chip? I've tried the ubuntu ppa build yesterday and today an fresh checkout of xbmc on gentoo and both versions only decode h246 with help of the broadcom card. But as far as I can see inside the code there should be support for wmv. Am I doing something wrong?

But I must say that the h264 support works very well so far, far better than I've expected.

Support for HD-wmv waits for code to convert what comes out of ffmpeg's demuxer into a packet format that is supported by the CrystalHD. There's existing code in the gstreamer plugin source code for the CrystalHD, I suggest starting there, extract out the required routines and merge them into the CrystalHD class. There's already a place holder present for handling h.264 inside a wmv.
So I have one of these little fellers around. It's GMA500 based. Barring immediate VaAPI support in our favorite piece of software, I was wondering if getting the Crystal HD card in there may work? Has anyone tried?
Soju Wrote:So I have one of these little fellers around. It's GMA500 based. Barring immediate VaAPI support in our favorite piece of software, I was wondering if getting the Crystal HD card in there may work? Has anyone tried?

OS supported: Ubuntu Linux 8.04, check.
mini pci-e slot, check.

got for it.
waterhead Wrote:You can install the driver now, if you want to. You first need to install a few packages.
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential tofrodos autoconf git-core
Then pull the driver source from the GIT repository.
Code:
git clone git://git.wilsonet.com/crystalhd.git
Now cd to the newly created driver folder, and build the driver.
Code:
cd ~/crystalhd/driver/linux
Code:
dos2unix *
Code:
autoconf
Code:
./configure
Code:
make
Code:
sudo make install
Now load the newly compiled crystalhd module
Code:
sudo modprobe crystalhd
You will also want to build and install the crystalhd library files. So cd to that folder.
Code:
cd ~/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
And run the standard build commands.
Code:
make
Code:
sudo make install
I have found when doing a major revision such as this, it is always a good thing to then do a reboot.

This is the way I installed the drivers. If anyone sees a mistake, please tell me!

BTW: I would like to thank Scott and Jarod for their contribution to the CrystalHD project. Without their contribution, there would be no project.

I get this error when I run the make command
xbmc@atv:~/crystalhd/driver/linux$ sudo make
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-26-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-26-generic'
CC [M] /home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.o
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:702: warning: type defaults to âintâ in declaration of âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:702: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:702: error: function âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ is initialized like a variable
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:703: warning: braces around scalar initializer
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:703: warning: (near initialization for âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ)
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:703: error: invalid initializer
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:703: error: (near initialization for âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ)
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:703: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:703: warning: (near initialization for âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ)
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:703: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:704: warning: braces around scalar initializer
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:704: warning: (near initialization for âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ)
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:704: error: invalid initializer
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:704: error: (near initialization for âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ)
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:704: warning: excess elements in scalar initializer
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:704: warning: (near initialization for âDEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLEâ)
/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.c:712: error: âchd_dec_pci_id_tableâ undeclared here (not in a function)
make[2]: *** [/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux/crystalhd_lnx.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/xbmc/crystalhd/driver/linux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-26-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Ubuntu hardy

any suggestions?

Thanks
Craig
*sigh* no one knows how to search anymore.

use the 1.0.3 tag at http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/ This contains both osx and linux source code.

svn trunk (at above URL) and git trees (below URL) are unstable now as support for bcm70015 is going in.
As frustrating as us noobs are for you Davilla I for one appreciate that you still push us in the right direction.

After installing subversion doing a bit of tinkering all is good.

Thanks

Craig
I edited my original post to include this information. I assume you mean that they should download the crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3.zip file. That is where I pointed them to.

EDIT: I'll answer my own question, and correct myself. Pull the 1.0.3 version, with this command:

Code:
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/tags/crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3 crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3
waterhead Wrote:I edited my original post to include this information. I assume you mean that they should download the crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3.zip file. That is where I pointed them to.

EDIT: I'll answer my own question, and correct myself. Pull the 1.0.3 version, with this command:

Code:
svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/tags/crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3 crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3

Correct, both svn and git trees will be unstable until we can get bcm70015 support in. Right now they both are moving targets and not usable unless one wants to help resolve runtime issues. SVN trunk changes has been merged back to git tree and now we go the other way to get both trees in sync.
Hello!

first, let me say a big thanks to everyone at xbmc team. What great work you have done over the years! I remember opening my original xbox and installing xbmc. That was a lot of fun! I was having loads of fun with that original xbox with xbmc(media player at the time)

that being said, here goes nothing.

It's my first time here and I'm a newbie to kubuntu. I have an hpmini 110-1030 computer with crystalhd card inside which worked well in windoze.

Now in linux, I'm having some problems installing everything. Well, rather, I followed all steps to the letter, read the ubuntu.readme, tried various things and I'm in my fourth day of trying. I thought I'd try here! The crystalhd drivers were downloaded, and installed, everything went well.
The svn was downloaded and Slooooooowly compiled on this atom computer. Smile

I booted the xbmc in the install folder, but unfortunately, I cannot, for the life of me, find the broadcom video renderer in xbmc.

so, step by step,
- I downloaded broadcom drivers and installed.
- I downloaded svn and read the readme file
- I downloaded everything via the one line command. everything went well
- went ahead, bootstrap, configure, make
then I load it with xbmc in the install directory

I reread this thread a number of times and still cannot get it to work. Any idea what went wrong? Thanks in advance

EDIT---

I just read this : is this mandatory?
./configure --enable-crystalhd
if so, I'll recompile?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] How do I complile Broadcom Crystal HD driver on Ubuntu Karmic?0