Video aspect ratio with CrystalHD
Hey everyone,

I'm using build #26558 with a Broadcom card and CrystalHD renderer enabled.

All my 720p and 1080p movies play back beautifully, except for the AAC passthrough problem (which is being worked on, I guess), but I have problem with getting a correct aspect ratio.

The xbmc.log determines the video size correctly, for example (see pastebin) my video is 1280x544, which has been detected by ffmpeg and the CrystalHD driver. But I get a close to 1280x720 picture, so the height of the video is wrong.

What I have to do is then find a frame in the movie with something circular or square in it, so I can use the "pixel ratio" setting to manually correct it. Using a ruler to measure the diameter of the circle, standing in front of my tv (how weird is that), I found out that setting it to 1.26 results in a correct picture. Since this applies to all videos, using all skins (I'm currently using Rapier 3.06), I guess something is not right here.

Also, before TheQuestor added CrystalHD support to his nightly builds, I was using my USB stick with the Ubuntu image to directly boot into XBMC and beside being able to run XBMC in 1080p on my LCD, the aspect ratio was fine with all videos, so I guess it's something to do with the XBMC OSX build.

Does anyone else have that problem? Any insights? Here's my XBMC.log:

http://pastebin.com/m35e8fa23

Best,
Randy.
Randy, I think (not 100%) that the nightly builds here are built with crystalhd support, try one of these: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/osx/ --this will be handy, and give thequestor some free time Smile

I'm still waiting on my chip, so i can't test. Your tv isn't trying to correct the aspect (wide/normal etc)? I think you're the first to report aspect is off...
I think it doesn't really have anything to do with the CrystalHD support, because using a different renderer it does the same. And I found out it's something that changed from 9.04 to 9.11 and subsequent nightly builds.

Besides, the builds from TheQuestor do have CrystalHD support and as far as decoding and video performance is concerned, everything is just perfect, it's only the aspect ratio that is somehow now working on some files.

My TV does not correct the ratio, auto correction is disabled since XBMC is set to fullscreen and it wouldn't make sense to have one trying to correct the other. But I'm still trying to figure what what causes that wrongly interpreted ratio.

Randy.
I just solved the problem by deleting the "userdata" folder, might have been some weird setting from any older version or something, I wasn't able to find out what, but I'm relieved everything works now!

Randy.
Hey Randy,

Under playback did you select "allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars" ?

That's about all i can think that would mess with it, other than that, try moving your XBMC folder under your application settings, and restarting XBMC. See if starting from scratch corrects it. If it doesnt you can just delete the new folder (xbmc) and move the other back.
I can't remember changing that setting, but it might have been something like that. In any case it's fixed now, thanks for your help :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video aspect ratio with CrystalHD0