• 10(current)
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Apple TV step-by-step installation guide
I have put the card in my wife's Win7 laptop and it discovered, and installed (the drivers i got from Broadcom) perfectly fine. I have downloaded a video player that I will use to test the card. I ran VLC with and without the card but the CPU difference was negligable. It is a C2D laptop so it could handle the 1080p file anyways. The drivers you can download from Broadcom comes with a utility that sits in ur tray and mine says broadcom crystalhd inactive, but i put my card back in my Apple TV.

I will let you know later how everything pans out.
baxtermedic Wrote:I have put the card in my wife's Win7 laptop and it discovered, and installed (the drivers i got from Broadcom) perfectly fine. I have downloaded a video player that I will use to test the card. I ran VLC with and without the card but the CPU difference was negligable. It is a C2D laptop so it could handle the 1080p file anyways. The drivers you can download from Broadcom comes with a utility that sits in ur tray and mine says broadcom crystalhd inactive, but i put my card back in my Apple TV.

I will let you know later how everything pans out.

VLC does not know about the crystalhd. You need to use correct video player.
Try a live disc if you can.
I couldn't get mine to work and thought it was faulty, but it ran fine in the ATV on a live cd.
So I knew the card was working.
I ended up upgrading my ATV to 3.01 and then redoing the xbmc install and following the instructions again and then it all worked.
Must have been something I did wrong previously I guess.
ok,
I've tried installing the windows GL latest build and it would force close on me until i took out the card.

I guess I can factory reset my ATV, since I've upgraded to 3.01 already, i believe. and just ssh in and try all of the steps before even loading libraries.

Will report back later.
oh yeah wich build are you using? the official nightly or the one from the link posted in the tutorial?
baxtermedic Wrote:oh yeah wich build are you using? the official nightly or the one from the link posted in the tutorial?

The Live image I used was the one linked in the first post here.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64634
Not the latest, but certainly showed me that the card itself was working.
hi yzeyze
what do you mean by live cd? Did you get the same error as below? If so, maybe it's not the the card and I need to try to reinstall... Sad
*ERR*:/Users/davilla/Documents/crystalhd-for-osx/trunk/crystalhd/driver/darwin/crystalhd_hw.c:1799: Firmware command T/O
*ERR*:/Users/davilla/Documents/crystalhd-for-osx/trunk/crystalhd/driver/darwin/crystalhd_hw.c:1810: FwCmd Failed.

Kevin

yzeyze Wrote:Try a live disc if you can.
I couldn't get mine to work and thought it was faulty, but it ran fine in the ATV on a live cd.
So I knew the card was working.
I ended up upgrading my ATV to 3.01 and then redoing the xbmc install and following the instructions again and then it all worked.
Must have been something I did wrong previously I guess.
Ok now I know i'm not crazy.

I just used the XBMC-live usb boot and BroadcomHD shows up under render method and there is a significant difference in the 1080p movie I am streaming over SMB.

It was still a little jittery but not outright skipping like it was on the latest official nighly build.

I am going back into the live usb boot to try out a 720p file that was skipping badly to double check my findings.
bluetang Wrote:hi yzeyze
what do you mean by live cd? Did you get the same error as below? If so, maybe it's not the the card and I need to try to reinstall... Sad
*ERR*:/Users/davilla/Documents/crystalhd-for-osx/trunk/crystalhd/driver/darwin/crystalhd_hw.c:1799: Firmware command T/O
*ERR*:/Users/davilla/Documents/crystalhd-for-osx/trunk/crystalhd/driver/darwin/crystalhd_hw.c:1810: FwCmd Failed.

Kevin

See post above yours - it is a linux boot image with xbmc and the crystal drivers preloaded.
You put the image on a 4G+ USB stick and boot the AppleTV off of it.
If it works on that, then the broadcom card is fine.
Thanks yzeyze
I'll give that a try!
Smile

yzeyze Wrote:See post above yours - it is a linux boot image with xbmc and the crystal drivers preloaded.
You put the image on a 4G+ USB stick and boot the AppleTV off of it.
If it works on that, then the broadcom card is fine.
it plays a little smoother but the CPU is still running at 100 percent. I have contacted my seller and am trying to get this thing exchanged.

I am going to put linux on my apple tv in the mean time. I really don't like the sluggishness of the UI
Hi
I try to boot with that image. Everything is loading until it hit the following error.
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000

Did you ever saw that?

yzeyze Wrote:The Live image I used was the one linked in the first post here.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64634
Not the latest, but certainly showed me that the card itself was working.
bluetang Wrote:Hi
I try to boot with that image. Everything is loading until it hit the following error.
Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000

Did you ever saw that?

No, Is it not booting through to xbmc?
Can you try another stick?
Tried another stick but it's the same. Oh well. thanks for helping.
I'm pretty sure my crystalHD is bad. I'll guess I'll need to get another one.

yzeyze Wrote:No, Is it not booting through to xbmc?
Can you try another stick?
HI
Did you try to put his card in your ATV? Since your ATV set works, then it would for sure mean his card is dead?
Kevin
deano72 Wrote:HI, Just like to ask the following:-
I have installed on my ATV the broadcom crystalhd card, and it is working all ok. I bought another one and put that in my mate's ATV and it experiences the above (log shows exactly this). When I tried my known working card in his box......it also shows the above. Put my card back into my box, all ok.
However his initial card DID have a resistor loose on bottom of it and this is going back for a replacement.
Since my working card also did not work on his box, and his files are in the exact same place as mine, could he have a faulty slot inside his ATV (btw, wifi used to work fine on his box before he went wired).
Cheers,
Dean
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Apple TV step-by-step installation guide1