• 7(current)
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Apple TV step-by-step installation guide
just as the doctor ordered
Now install launcher from Softwaremenu and turbokext from nito install software section
Before you install XBMC ssh and type this
defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/Info.asp
so that you can see the nightly builds and then install the last svn
interceptor121 Wrote:Before you install XBMC ssh and type this
defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/Info.asp
so that you can see the nightly builds and then install the last svn

Right, I've done a complete refresh and installed all the above as discussed using Davilla's google code notes. But I'm still having the same issues of the rc.local file not applying when restarted. If I do run sudo (followed by the commands in rc.local) manually and then open XBMC I can select the Broadcom adaptor.

This is now my rc.local file

/sbin/turbo_kext_enabler.bin
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

Unfortunately the only thing I can see wrong is the Octal is 0755. What commands do I use to change this to 0644 via SSH?
755 is fine
owner of rc.local should be root not frontrow
issue ls -l rc.local and confirm root is the owner
if not root
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local
Just wanted to sign up to say thanks to all involved, my ATV now has a new lease of life thanks to the Broadcom card. I really need to update the version I've got on my Xbox, installed it in approx 2005 - seems things have come a long way Big Grin
interceptor121 Wrote:755 is fine
owner of rc.local should be root not frontrow
issue ls -l rc.local and confirm root is the owner
if not root
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local

Thanks for that. The permissions are now correct! I'm still having to perform the sudo command for the Broadcom card to be visible in XBMC. When I run the sudo it asks fro my frontrow password. Could this be the reason why it isn't loading automatically?
everytime you do sudo you must enter the password frontrow (if you have not changed it) otherwise the command does nothing
but once rc.local has 755 is owned by root in the group wheel (sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local) that should make rc.local load at start up
interceptor121 Wrote:everytime you do sudo you must enter the password frontrow (if you have not changed it) otherwise the command does nothing
but once rc.local has 755 is owned by root in the group wheel (sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local) that should make rc.local load at start up

Everything looks fine at this end. The permissions appear correct but is there a way of finding out what (or if) happens when the rc.local file runs in some form of log file?
You could try to add a line to see if the system is reading rc.local at all
echo $(date) - Running >> /var/test.run
and then check the file /var/test.run
or put in a sleep 10 at the beginning if the issue is with the variables not set
but this is getting complicated
Oh the humanity!

In that there programmes menu is there not some uber scientist type who could create a script or somesuch that just does all this stuff for morons like me.

My poor ikkle chips is sat on top of the ATV just keeping warm, ready for the day some of this makes any sense to its master.
Morons should buy movies on iTunes and avoid carefully any form of home made hand coding let alone opening the ATV to install cards or issue SSH commands
I am sure you are not downloading copyrighted content off the internet that you can't play on the ATV are you? Shocked
play nice guys Smile
I apologize if sounded harsh my sense of humor is not exactly sweet
Going back to the question it could be possible to automate a procedure to install the kext support probably as part of the update script in a future release that has official CrystalHD support
interceptor121 Wrote:I apologize if sounded harsh my sense of humor is not exactly sweet
Going back to the question it could be possible to automate a procedure to install the kext support probably as part of the update script in a future release that has official CrystalHD support

yes. the simplest is to create an mpkg with driver/lib and firmware that install in the correct place. A real osx box does not need rc.local additions, a kext can autoload. So for OSX, download, double click, grant sudo, done. For ATV, launcher runs a script that installs the mpkg from command-line, adds turbo's binary and fixes up rc.local.

Creating an mpkg is on the list.
You may find it easier to cut/paste the software commands from the original guide! Smile

http://todayguesswhat.blogspot.com/2010/...le-tv.html
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Apple TV step-by-step installation guide1