• 4(current)
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Apple TV step-by-step installation guide
mng70 Wrote:Same problem here except my rc.local has each line twice.

LOL, doing it twice is futile, if it fails the first time, it will also fail the second.

You need to find out why it's failing. rc.loca runs at elevated so you don't need sudo. Try the commands on the command-line with sudo in front to see why they are failing.
Interesting. It appears to be loading
-bash-2.05b$ sudo /sbin/turbo_atv_enabler.bin
Password:
This software is copyright 2008 Turbo (Mike Byrne) and MAY NOT be distributed.
All rights reserved.
Contact [email protected] for more information

Installing kext enabler... OK!
Installing Turbo's SSE3 emulator... OK!

Done.
-bash-2.05b$ sudo /sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext loaded successfully
kextload: loading personalities named:
kextload: FirstPersonality
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

It appears that if I perform these actions once loaded I can select CrystalHD. But as soon as I cycle power the ATV it resets.
Any ideas?
mng70 Wrote:Interesting. It appears to be loading
-bash-2.05b$ sudo /sbin/turbo_atv_enabler.bin
Password:
This software is copyright 2008 Turbo (Mike Byrne) and MAY NOT be distributed.
All rights reserved.
Contact [email protected] for more information

Installing kext enabler... OK!
Installing Turbo's SSE3 emulator... OK!

Done.
-bash-2.05b$ sudo /sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext loaded successfully
kextload: loading personalities named:
kextload: FirstPersonality
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

It appears that if I perform these actions once loaded I can select CrystalHD. But as soon as I cycle power the ATV it resets.
Any ideas?

Mine is doing exactly the same....
davilla Wrote:LOL, doing it twice is futile, if it fails the first time, it will also fail the second.

You need to find out why it's failing. rc.loca runs at elevated so you don't need sudo. Try the commands on the command-line with sudo in front to see why they are failing.

When I enter them manually everything works fine - this is why I think that it is a permission issue...?

Here's the relevant section from my xbmc.log:

DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcrystalhd.dylib)
09:14:19 T:2684407808 M: 33452032 DEBUG: Loading: libcrystalhd.dylib
09:14:19 T:2684407808 M: 33361920 ERROR: CrystalHD: device open failed
09:14:19 T:2684407808 M: 33361920 INFO: CrystalHD: broadcom crystal hd not found
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
I have the same kind of issue making the ATV load up my Composite kext.

when putting the kext in rc.local it just will not load.

but when on ssh, sudo loading kext manually always works.
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Have you actually checked your rc.local file?
The best thing is either to display it with pico or if you are not familiar with unix just download to your computer and open with a text editor

It could be that there are typos in rc.local so what you need to do is to check issuing exactly the commands you have in rc.local that you can see the crystalHD

In terms of permission rc.local needs 644 owner read and write all the rest just read
if its not loading from rc.local, then you need to check your /sbin folder for the kext loader file and make sure it matches what is loaded on the first line of rc.local.
interceptor121 Wrote:Have you actually checked your rc.local file?

Yes. And when I copy and paste the commands from within this file, it works.

TeknoJnky Wrote:if its not loading from rc.local, then you need to check your /sbin folder for the kext loader file and make sure it matches what is loaded on the first line of rc.local.

Checked and ok.
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
Can I confirm what the rc.local file should contain. Here is mine

/sbin/turbo_atv_enabler.bin
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

When I look at the properties (using WINSCP) they are

Location /rmt/Sratch/private/etc
Size 96b
Group wheel[0]
Owner frontrow [501]
Permissions Owner has RW, Group has R, Others have R
Octal 0644
No checksum

If anything needs changing can someone kindly explain how to change it please? Big Grin
I have this /sbin/turbo_kext_enabler.bin and not /sbin/turbo_ATV_enabler.bin
as I got the kext enabler from nito and it automatically put it there so I only had to add the crystalHD line
If you installed kext enabler from Nito or you did a smart install from Nito to have AFP and VNC it is possible that inside your system you have turbo_kext_enabler.bin
interceptor121 Wrote:I have this /sbin/turbo_kext_enabler.bin and not /sbin/turbo_ATV_enabler.bin
as I got the kext enabler from nito and it automatically put it there so I only had to add the crystalHD line
If you installed kext enabler from Nito or you did a smart install from Nito to have AFP and VNC it is possible that inside your system you have turbo_kext_enabler.bin

Looking in the /sbin folder I have turbo_atv_enabler and not the turbo_kext_enabler

I used the method clearly documented at "http://www.blogythefox.co.uk/2010/01/09/apple-tv-broadcom-hd-card-hardware-and-software-installation/"

Everything appeared to work except I couldn't add the nightly builds to Launcher as it stated "grep: http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/Info.asp: No such file or directory"
If you don't have the nightly builds then you can't have crystalHD support
either ssh and at prompt type
defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/Info.asp
or download an SVN from the XBMC mirror list and install manually (not reccomended)
interceptor121 Wrote:If you don't have the nightly builds then you can't have crystalHD support

I understand that and I have the nightly builds. I just had to copy them to the ATV manually.

The card works if I manually sudo the rc.local commands using Putty. But when I restart the ATV I have to perform the manual sudo again as it's not applying the rc.local automatically.
Don't know I have not followed this step by step guides but just the little instructions directly on google code.
Following 60 steps without having an idea on how to debug any of them seems a bit scary for me
interceptor121 Wrote:If you don't have the nightly builds then you can't have crystalHD support
either ssh and at prompt type
defaults write com.teamxbmc.xbmclauncher XBMCAdditionalDownloadPlistURLs -array http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/Info.asp
or download an SVN from the XBMC mirror list and install manually (not reccomended)

Thanks for that Interceptor. This command now works. Going to install latest build this way.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Apple TV step-by-step installation guide1