[Linux (on an AppleTV)] randomly rebooting
You could also try to rename /sbin/shutdown

it could be "shutdown -r now"
well, I'm compiling latest svn as we speak, if that fails, I'll be doing a fresh install with 9.10 and crossing my fingers Smile

for the couple of months I had the broadcom card in the aTV running aTV OS with XBMC, I had no crashes, and for the first couple of days with linux I had no crashes either. It seems to be some completely random problem.

I straced xbmc to a file (which for some reason I decided to delete straight after!) and you can see that even strace doesn't get the chance to write to disk whats happening. It ended with something like "blah blah blah (9,"

Oh well, fingers crossed this works as I've already had a 6 pack of beer and don't know if recompiling whilst drunk is the smartest thing to do Wink
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
started to recompile last night, got a fair way through then spat out some errors about curlopt_password and curlopt_username, couldn't figure out how to resolve them, so I'm now just about to start doing a fresh install of 9.10.
ewequeone Wrote:started to recompile last night, got a fair way through then spat out some errors about curlopt_password and curlopt_username, couldn't figure out how to resolve them, so I'm now just about to start doing a fresh install of 9.10.

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/26889/
compiled the latest svn earlier this morning, machine worked fine from around 8:00am but just now rebooted whilst sitting idle in a menu.

i'll be installing 9.10 later today / tomorrow.

GRRRRRR.
left the machine compiling whilst I went out to a wedding (which was great as a sidenote, lots of alcohol, a boat ride, nice food!) and it's all up and running in standalone mode now, which is something I hadn't done before.

Will finish it off tomorrow and hopefully it won't reboot anymore Smile
So it's almost been a week, and the machine has been running without any problems, but last night, whilst in a menu, it rebooted, and since then, it's rebooted probably 10 times in the last 12 hours!

I'll post some logs today later today and hopefully see if we can find the problem. Very frustrating!

I've not installed anything on the machine, I've not changed any settings or done anything that I would have thought would make the machine do this. Very, very strange.
Here's the latest xbmc.log from the most recent crash this morning http://pastebin.com/m7ff50924

Here's syslog from the same time as the reboot http://pastebin.com/m7eb0954d

Davilla, any ideas whatsoever?! This is really starting to get me frustrated!
ewequeone Wrote:Well I left the appletv running in xwindows over night, didn't crash at all, left it all day today and got home and it still hadn't crashed, loaded up xbmc, went to my tv library, went to change to a different show and BAM, it rebooted!

Here's the xbmc.log http://pastebin.com/m7a1d35c4

Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason.

Very odd, "Unloading: libcrystalhd.so", this should never happen unless the app is shutting down. Right before it was "ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: special://skin/extras/studios/FOX.png". What skin are you running ?
Turn off auto thumb-gen.
I'm running Alaska, but I've also experienced the reboots in Ellipsis, although I haven't tried it on this install yet.

The error loading a file is because it isn't there, I haven't installed the "extras" pack for Alaska which includes the studio images etc, but it's been running for a week with no problems.

The quote of mine which you've put in your last message is with the log from when I was running Hardy I believe, the newer logs are for karmic in this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=490...stcount=23
I've also noticed that once these reboots start to happen, the network interface on the appletv doesn't work properly.

it requires some cpu usage to get full 100mb speeds to the appletv now, so I do an ls -alR from the root dir and I get speeds between 2000kb/s to 5000kb/s whereas before the reboots, I was getting upwards of 8000kb/s
changed skin to pm3hd and turned off thumb gens, has rebooted once since then.

again, it seems to be when the appletv isn't doing any video/audio processing. I've got some music playing now, with the full screen gl vis running, and it seems fine. same with playing video, it never reboots when doing either of those.

how is it I'm the only one having a problem?! aarrrgghhh!! Smile

I was wondering if it was a problem with a faulty broadcom card, but it was installed in the appletv running the atv o/s for a couple of months (without any drivers mind you) and the atv didn't reboot.
ewequeone Wrote:changed skin to pm3hd and turned off thumb gens, has rebooted once since then.

again, it seems to be when the appletv isn't doing any video/audio processing. I've got some music playing now, with the full screen gl vis running, and it seems fine. same with playing video, it never reboots when doing either of those.

how is it I'm the only one having a problem?! aarrrgghhh!! Smile

I was wondering if it was a problem with a faulty broadcom card, but it was installed in the appletv running the atv o/s for a couple of months (without any drivers mind you) and the atv didn't reboot.

system -> system - settings - power savings.

what do you have for:

shutdown function timer
shutdown function
ewequeone Wrote:I've also noticed that once these reboots start to happen, the network interface on the appletv doesn't work properly.

it requires some cpu usage to get full 100mb speeds to the appletv now, so I do an ls -alR from the root dir and I get speeds between 2000kb/s to 5000kb/s whereas before the reboots, I was getting upwards of 8000kb/s

bet cpu is dropping to c3, need to force it to c2. there was a kernel boot param for that. not sure if karmic pays attention to that or there is a different method.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux (on an AppleTV)] randomly rebooting0