[Linux (on an AppleTV)] randomly rebooting
davilla Wrote:system -> system - settings - power savings.

what do you have for:

shutdown function timer
shutdown function

I'll take a look a little later this afternoon after I've finished these 6 job applications I'm doing. The wife is getting a little mad I keep going to and fro the appletv. If she knew I was even looking at the xbmc forums right now she'd have my testicles in a jar Wink

davilla Wrote:bet cpu is dropping to c3, need to force it to c2. there was a kernel boot param for that. not sure if karmic pays attention to that or there is a different method.

Could the cpu dropping be the same reason the machine is rebooting?

Again, once I'm done here (which will be several hours unfortunately!) I'll get to playing with it again and hopefully stop it from reboot which I think is giving me grey hairs Wink

edit: yes, I am THAT pussy whipped Wink
Trying to help clean up the afterbirth :laugh:
davilla Wrote:system -> system - settings - power savings.

what do you have for:

shutdown function timer
shutdown function

Ok, I have "Off" for Timer and "Shutdown" for function.

davilla Wrote:bet cpu is dropping to c3, need to force it to c2. there was a kernel boot param for that. not sure if karmic pays attention to that or there is a different method.

Couldn't find any real useful information on how to do that, so I used rcconf to turn off "Ondemand" and the cpu is now running at full speed.

Have also turned off auto-thumb generation, and am using pm3hd skin and it's still rebooting.

Still nothing in any logs that I can see, which makes me think that it's either a power problem, but it is plugged in to a surge protector, and it never had this problem when it was running the aTV O/s on the same power, so I think I can scratch that one, or that somehow the machine is just randomly shorting out, but again, it never did that even with the broadcom card installed under the aTV o/S, so it really only leaves me to one thing, and that's something xbmc is doing or failing at which causes it to just go BLEARGH.

I don't think I've seen it reboot in xwindows (when I had it installed under hardy) or in the cli under both hardy or karmic.

It's also strange that in both instances, under hardy and karmic, the machine was running fine for a small period of time (maybe 2 weeks at most under hardy before it started rebooting and about a week under karmic).

edit: i've decided that resolving this issue is now more important than me finding a job Wink
ewequeone Wrote:Ok, I have "Off" for Timer and "Shutdown" for function.

Couldn't find any real useful information on how to do that, so I used rcconf to turn off "Ondemand" and the cpu is now running at full speed.

Have also turned off auto-thumb generation, and am using pm3hd skin and it's still rebooting.

Still nothing in any logs that I can see, which makes me think that it's either a power problem, but it is plugged in to a surge protector, and it never had this problem when it was running the aTV O/s on the same power, so I think I can scratch that one, or that somehow the machine is just randomly shorting out, but again, it never did that even with the broadcom card installed under the aTV o/S, so it really only leaves me to one thing, and that's something xbmc is doing or failing at which causes it to just go BLEARGH.

I don't think I've seen it reboot in xwindows (when I had it installed under hardy) or in the cli under both hardy or karmic.

It's also strange that in both instances, under hardy and karmic, the machine was running fine for a small period of time (maybe 2 weeks at most under hardy before it started rebooting and about a week under karmic).

edit: i've decided that resolving this issue is now more important than me finding a job Wink

change Shutdown function to "Quit"

google "processor.max_cstate=2"

run xbmc under gdb via a ssh session

cd to xbmc source tree
export XBMC_HOME=`pwd`
gdb xbmc.bin
r

now wait for it to reboot.
All I'm getting is:

Starting program: /home/jason/xbmc/xbmc.bin
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Can't open display
commandline read: xbmc.bin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| DirectFB 1.2.7 |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
© 2001-2008 The world wide DirectFB Open Source Community
© 2000-2004 Convergence (integrated media) GmbH
----------------------------------------------------------------

(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2009-06-02 06:33)
(!) Direct/Util: opening '/dev/fb0' failed
--> Permission denied
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Error opening framebuffer device!
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Use 'fbdev' option or set FRAMEBUFFER environment variable.
(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system_core' core!
--> Initialization error!
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
CRITSEC[0x8afaf64]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8afaf64]: Trying to leave destroyed section.

Program exited with code 0377.
(gdb)
ewequeone Wrote:All I'm getting is:

Starting program: /home/jason/xbmc/xbmc.bin
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Can't open display
commandline read: xbmc.bin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| DirectFB 1.2.7 |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
© 2001-2008 The world wide DirectFB Open Source Community
© 2000-2004 Convergence (integrated media) GmbH
----------------------------------------------------------------

(*) DirectFB/Core: Single Application Core. (2009-06-02 06:33)
(!) Direct/Util: opening '/dev/fb0' failed
--> Permission denied
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Error opening framebuffer device!
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Use 'fbdev' option or set FRAMEBUFFER environment variable.
(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system_core' core!
--> Initialization error!
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
CRITSEC[0x8afaf64]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8afaf64]: Trying to leave destroyed section.

Program exited with code 0377.
(gdb)

export DISPLAY=:0.0
things never crash when you want them to crash!

So, I played an episode, played in some menus, played some music, then played another episode, and then exited it, scrolled through some menus and it crashed! Only took an hour or so this time.

Couldn't change the Shutdown function to quit as all I have option to change to is shutdown or hibernate, so I left it as shutdown.

Unfortunately, I don't think gdb really picked up on much. This is the last of what gdb outputted as it crashed:

DtsFetchOutInterruptible: Failed:e
DtsProcOutput: No Active Channels
[Thread 0x9695db70 (LWP 1706) exited]
[Thread 0x9b8e5b70 (LWP 1707) exited]
DtsCancelFetchOutInt: Called
DtsCancelFetchOutInt: No Pending Req
Clearing PendMdata 0x928830a 188
Clearing PendMdata 0x928817e 189
Clearing PendMdata 0x9288256 18a
Clearing PendMdata 0x928829e 18b
[Thread 0x9615cb70 (LWP 1705) exited]
[Thread 0x9aee3b70 (LWP 1703) exited]
[New Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1711)]
[Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1711) exited]
[Thread 0x98961b70 (LWP 1675) exited]
[Thread 0x99162b70 (LWP 1674) exited]
[New Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1712)]
[Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1712) exited]
[New Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1713)]
[Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1713) exited]
[New Thread 0x99162b70 (LWP 1714)]
ewequeone Wrote:things never crash when you want them to crash!

So, I played an episode, played in some menus, played some music, then played another episode, and then exited it, scrolled through some menus and it crashed! Only took an hour or so this time.

Couldn't change the Shutdown function to quit as all I have option to change to is shutdown or hibernate, so I left it as shutdown.

Unfortunately, I don't think gdb really picked up on much. This is the last of what gdb outputted as it crashed:

[Thread 0x9695db70 (LWP 1706) exited]
[Thread 0x9b8e5b70 (LWP 1707) exited]
DtsCancelFetchOutInt: Called
DtsCancelFetchOutInt: No Pending Req
Clearing PendMdata 0x928830a 188
Clearing PendMdata 0x928817e 189
Clearing PendMdata 0x9288256 18a
Clearing PendMdata 0x928829e 18b
[Thread 0x9615cb70 (LWP 1705) exited]
[Thread 0x9aee3b70 (LWP 1703) exited]
[New Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1711)]
[Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1711) exited]
[Thread 0x98961b70 (LWP 1675) exited]
[Thread 0x99162b70 (LWP 1674) exited]
[New Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1712)]
[Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1712) exited]
[New Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1713)]
[Thread 0xb7252b70 (LWP 1713) exited]
[New Thread 0x99162b70 (LWP 1714)]

Bah, no help there Sad
How about I send you the box and some beer and some hookers and you take a look at it for me? Wink

Think I'll just reinstall the aTV O/S and use that. At least that never used to crash on me ... fingers crossed it won't now Smile
ewequeone Wrote:How about I send you the box and some beer and some hookers and you take a look at it for me? Wink

Think I'll just reinstall the aTV O/S and use that. At least that never used to crach on me ... fingers crossed it won't now Smile

Hahahaha. This is so bizarre. Spontaneous reboots but only when it's not playing videos.
whoops. double post.

yes, it is very random. this is with two different builds of xbmc on different flavours of ubuntu.

it's testing my patience Smile
What's even stranger is, I seem to be the only person with this problem, which to me indicates that it's something here at my end, be it a faulty card (but it works, it decodes all my mkvs), poor power points (but I've tried it on another one and it's running through a surge protector and it never did this on the appletv o/s, so I don't think it is a power problem).

*sigh*

i guess i'm just not meant to have a hi-def media player Sad
davilla Wrote:Hahahaha. This is so bizarre. Spontaneous reboots but only when it's not playing videos.

and don't forget, after a week of flawless playback, with no random reboots etc. It really is gremlins!

One thing I do remember this time, when it first started rebooting last night, is we were listening to some music, I started a video whilst the music was still playing, watched that in its entirety, started another video, skipped through it a bit to find a particular scene, then watched it for a couple of minutes, then exited to the menu, then it rebooted. it hadn't rebooted at all before then on this install of karmic.
ewequeone Wrote:and don't forget, after a week of flawless playback, with no random reboots etc. It really is gremlins!

One thing I do remember this time, when it first started rebooting last night, is we were listening to some music, I started a video whilst the music was still playing, watched that in its entirety, started another video, skipped through it a bit to find a particular scene, then watched it for a couple of minutes, then exited to the menu, then it rebooted. it hadn't rebooted at all before then on this install of karmic.

Next thing, might be heat related, the AppleTV is one big heat sink. It wants to be sitting free and clear of obstructions. That means sitting flat on the rubber base with nothing on top and nothing to obstruct it's passive cooling. Also nothing that creates heat under it either.

That said, my dev box actually lives upside down as I need to get inside periodically, but it's also out in the open with nothing under or on top of it.
davilla Wrote:Next thing, might be heat related, the AppleTV is one big heat sink. It wants to be sitting free and clear of obstructions. That means sitting flat on the rubber base with nothing on top and nothing to obstruct it's passive cooling. Also nothing that creates heat under it either.

That said, my dev box actually lives upside down as I need to get inside periodically, but it's also out in the open with nothing under or on top of it.

It's sitting on an entertainment unit, with ample room for airflow and no obstructions whatsoever. It has sat in the same position since I purchased it and has run the aTV O/S both with and without the broadcom card for a couple of months with no problems.

Is there some way I can monitor the temperatures on the aTV? And if it were a problem with it getting too hot, wouldn't it be more likely to get hotter during playback, therefore reboot when playing videos?

I'll run an strace on it later this morning and see if that provides any useful information.
ewequeone Wrote:It's sitting on an entertainment unit, with ample room for airflow and no obstructions whatsoever. It has sat in the same position since I purchased it and has run the aTV O/S both with and without the broadcom card for a couple of months with no problems.

Is there some way I can monitor the temperatures on the aTV? And if it were a problem with it getting too hot, wouldn't it be more likely to get hotter during playback, therefore reboot when playing videos?

I'll run an strace on it later this morning and see if that provides any useful information.

You can get the GPU temp with nvidia's tools. I've never found a way to read CPU temps. Just guessing here. Another thought, menu-down held will reboot regardless of any IR handling by the OS. You sure you don't have a neighbor shining IR through the window?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux (on an AppleTV)] randomly rebooting0