[AppleTV] Is it possible to install Firefox on Apple TV?
Hi, Is it possible to run firefox on xbmc on an AppleTV? Thank you
Why?

If you want a truely awful surfing experience use a TV.

On ATV the weapon of choice is couch surfer which is already there somewhere to install in the software menu. Use it for around 4 minutes before giving up and using your computer.
Oh, I'm agree, but it was to see Justin.tv
Well its already available to you on the ATV apple menu should be a new option software, in there is optional installs, one is couch surfer.
Pinus2 Wrote:Oh, I'm agree, but it was to see Justin.tv

I was looking for a browser for the same reason but can't figure out how to control it at all using the remote anyway. However, if you have Boxee Alpha also installed, the Justin.TV plugin works great from Boxee (this is the only thing I use Boxee for at the moment).
this script will install firefox + plugins, but you need nitotv installed... after atv reboots you will find firefox on: nitotv > Applications > Firefox

Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo mount -uw /
filedir=/Users/frontrow/Firefoxtemp/
appdir=/Users/frontrow/Applications/
plugdir=/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/
if [ ! -d /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/nitoTV.frappliance ]; then
    echo "You do not have nitoTV installed..."
    exit 0
fi
if [ ! -d "$appdir" ]; then
        mkdir $appdir
    sudo chown -R frontrow:frontrow $appdir
fi
if [ ! -d "$plugdir" ]; then
        sudo mkdir /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/
fi
if [ ! -d "$filedir" ]; then
    mkdir $filedir
fi
sudo chown -R frontrow:frontrow $filedir
cd $filedir
if [ ! -f /usr/bin/7za ]; then
    echo -n "Downloading 7za: 1.1MB"
    wget -q http://atvusb-creator.googlecode.com/svn-history/r121/trunk/atvusb-creator/atvusb-creator-1.0.b8/tools/osx/7za &
    while ps |grep $! &>/dev/null; do
          echo -n "."
            sleep 2
    done
    chmod 755 7za
    sudo mv -f 7za /usr/bin/
    sudo chown root:wheel /usr/bin/7za
fi
#### FIREFOX ####
echo "Downloading Firefox 3.0.4: 17.2MB"
wget -q http://mozilla-mirror.3347.voxcdn.com/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.5.6/mac/en-US/Firefox%203.5.6.dmg &
while ps |grep $! &>/dev/null; do
    echo -n "."
      sleep 2
done
echo -e "Installing Firefox"
echo "Y" | sudo hdiutil mount Firefox\ 3.5.6.dmg
sudo cp -r /Volumes/Firefox/Firefox.app/ "$appdir"Firefox.app/
sudo hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Firefox/
rm Firefox\ 3.5.6.dmg

### FLASH PLUGIN ####
echo "Downloading Flash Plugin: 5.4MB"
wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_osx_ub.dmg.zip
echo "Instaling Flash Plugin"
unzip install_flash_player_osx_ub.dmg.zip
sudo hdiutil mount Install\ Flash\ Player\ 10\ UB.dmg
pax -r -z -f /Volumes/Install\ Flash\ Player\ 10\ UB/Adobe\ Flash\ Player.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz
sudo hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Install\ Flash\ Player\ 10\ UB/
rm -Rd Flash\ Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/{c,d,f,i,j,k,n,p,r,s,t,z}*.lproj
sudo mv Flash\ Player.plugin/ "$plugdir"Flash\ Player.plugin
sudo rm -rdf *

### COREAUDIOKIT ####
echo "Downloading COREAUDIOKIT: 64KB"
wget http://www.brgranite.com/temp/CoreAuioKit.framework.7z
echo "Instaling COREAUDIOKIT"
sudo 7za x- CoreAuioKit.framework.7z
rm CoreAuioKit.framework.7z
sudo cp -r CoreAuioKit.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudioKit.framework/

cd ..
sudo rm -rdf $filedir
sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/
echo "ATV is rebooting!"
sudo reboot
oh, really thank you! I'm read only nowLaugh awesome!
garyi Wrote:On ATV the weapon of choice is couch surfer which is already there somewhere to install in the software menu.

Couch surfer is not supported under OS 3.x.
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
Pinus2 Wrote:oh, really thank you! I'm read only nowLaugh awesome!

Are you able to control Firefox with the apple remote? Or the iPod Remote?
@dafranca: Could you please be so kind and tell a newbie how to install this script?
I have searched through wiki, but the more I read, the more confused I become...
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
fostewi Wrote:Are you able to control Firefox with the apple remote? Or the iPod Remote?

Your best choice here is mobileairmouse
babbe Wrote:Your best choice here is mobileairmouse

Thanks for the reply...I have a few year old Apple mouse but I believe it is Blue Tooth only so I suspect it can not be used with Apple TV, correct? Or are you referring to a different apple mouse? I can't seem to find any info. Also, you would not be able to type text, right? Thanks.

Edit : just searched again and it seems there is a iPhone app called "Mobile Air Mouse Pro"..I assume this is what you are referring too...will investigate further. This would be great if I could use it to stream sites that do not have woorking apps (e.g. CBC, Justin.TV, etc.)
I have Firefox installed on my ATV and just purchased and installed Rowmote on my iPod Touch/ATV (I chose this one because I did not want to install the Patchstick and could not figure out how to install Air Mouse otherwise). The remote works fine for ATV but for some reason when I run Firefox on the ATV I do not see any Mouse pointer on the screen...anyone seen this before or know what might be wrong? Thanks.

UPDATE : I was able to "find" the mouse by using a USB mouse. It seems the issue is actually that the iPhone Romote app keyboard/mouse mode is not working with ATV (it works on my mac) even though the normal ATV remote mode works fine. I emailed the developer to see if he can help me...I would use Air Mouse but now that I have almost everything I need working on the ATV (USB, SMB, XBMC, BOXEE) I do not want to buy the Patchstick or ATVFlash just to use a browser but I really want it for videos I can't get through XBMC. I can't seem to find a version of the server for Air Mouse for ATV anywhere else.
best option to control firefox on ATV is with iphone's VNC Light app

to install vnc on atv:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Downloading VNC Server: 0.2MB Password is frontrow"
wget -q http://www.brgranite.com/temp/OSXvnc.7z
echo "Instaling VNC Server"
sudo 7za x OSXvnc.7z
rm OSXvnc.7z
chmod -R 755 OSXvnc/
sudo chown -R root:wheel OSXvnc/
sudo mv OSXvnc/ /Library/StartupItems/OSXvnc/
exit 0

reboot your appletv and you will have vnc working.
dafranca Wrote:best option to control firefox on ATV is with iphone's VNC Light app

to install vnc on atv:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Downloading VNC Server: 0.2MB Password is frontrow"
wget -q http://www.brgranite.com/temp/OSXvnc.7z
echo "Instaling VNC Server"
sudo 7za x OSXvnc.7z
rm OSXvnc.7z
chmod -R 755 OSXvnc/
sudo chown -R root:wheel OSXvnc/
sudo mv OSXvnc/ /Library/StartupItems/OSXvnc/
exit 0

reboot your appletv and you will have vnc working.

Thanks for the tip...I had just tried using synergy as well so I could at least use my laptop to control the ATV but the client would not run on ATV for some reason. This worked but I wonder how much of the limited ATV resources it is using to synch back and forth all the UI info and it also has a little lag making control a little challenging. Can I just kill the OSXvnc-keepalive and OSXvnc-server processes if I want to stop it?

I think you need the full version to control scroll bars too though I need to play with it more. Definitely nice to have an option now though I think I would prefer a simple mouse/keyboard app if it worked. Thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Is it possible to install Firefox on Apple TV?0